Vote Jesus: The Chronicles Of Ken Stevenson - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vote Jesus: The Chronicles Of Ken Stevenson Reviews

February 16, 2013
Vote Jesus: The Chronicles of Ken Stevenson is a film to see if you loved or even just liked Religulous by Bill Maher. Comic extraordinaire Vermin Supreme takes a different tack from Maher, and goes to a number of religious right bastions in disguise as a man running for the Presidency of America. He seeks the blessing of Jerry Falwell and attends the last crusade of Rev. Billy Graham. He attends the grand opening of the Creation Science Museum and a rally of the Westboro Baptist Church. Although he reveals in the beginning that he is seeking to understand what the religious right is saying so that he can say it back to them to win their votes, there is rarely a hint of sarcasm as "Stevenson" gives his interviewees full opportunity to express themselves. He's a gentle interviewer which makes some of the questions real howlers when you least expect them. This is a very difficult film to watch for believers, former believers, or those who know believers as it reminds us of our relatives at a family reunion. Created mostly in 2004 and only now being brought into circulation (I saw it on 2/16/13 at the film's private screening in Manchester, New Hampshire) the film's ending clearly marks the end of Ken Stevenson, but the beginning of the media phenomenon that IS Vermin Supreme.