Voyage of the Rock Aliens Reviews

• Dec 20, 2020

Conceptually, the mix of 50's Rockabilly and 80's new wave was very smart. I can see why this wasn't a grand success, but really enjoyed it, a la Crybaby or Attack of the Killer Tomatoes or Rocky Horror Picture Show or The Last Dragon. It's the tongue-in-cheek, goofball sense of humor that really brought it all together. Really have to make it through that Jermaine Jackson opening, though, which has little to do with the flick...Maybe they needed it for legitimacy? Maybe somebody in production owed Jackson a favor? Maybe they were trying to promote his new record? Either way, midnight movie bomb or not, I would recommend this for a good laugh. It will probably end up on "How Did This Get Made" in the future, and I can't wait to hear what they have to say about it.

• Aug 26, 2016

"Voyage of the Rock Aliens" is ostensibly a movie; it's actually about 7 music videos stitched together with some kind of plot involving a serial killer, a lake monster, a high school prom, and aliens with a spaceship shaped like a Gibson Flying V. This movie feels about 3 times as long as its actual run time, but is enjoyably crappy throughout.

• Jan 23, 2011

A movie night classic that never fails to delight. My guess is that 80% of this film's budget went towards a certain lead actor's cocaine stash - dude was vibrating!

• Jan 05, 2011

frikking mental thats what this film is! Its bascially a rocky horror show vibe mixed with grease and mashed up with horror and sci fi references so it implodes in on itself! Its a musical but the thing just goes all over the place. There is so much crammed into this film its hard to keep track but the basic plot is a love triangle between an alien and a bad boy. The songs are awesome and theres a general air of sillyness throughout this that makes it impossible not to like at least some of it. Characters get there lines out fast so they get chance to sing and act silly later! really enjoyable nonscence that as long as its looked on as just a bit of fun is a great movie to just chill lax with. Even if it makes no sense it will not stop your foot a tapping to them cheesey 80's tunes :)

• May 26, 2010

Pia Zadora says it all, doesn't it. Essentially, this movie--which has spawned a thousand unattributed YouTube videos-- is a bad, extended sci-fi themed music video. The clever and so-bad-it's-good moments are mostly drowned out by new wave camp that came out five years after its time. Jermaine Jackson does his best Michael impression; one woman was no doubt cast because her name happened to be Madonna Christian. Yikes. Think of it as Liquid Sky, re-interpreted by a moron.

• Jul 22, 2009

It's like the 80's threw up over this rare cult classic. Hokey, silly, over-the-top and just so... 80's it's hard not to like it. And, btw- Jermaine Jackson and Pia Zadora star in it. A star each for that!

• May 11, 2009

Not like Anything you've ever seen. Really...

Not like Anything you've ever seen. Really...

• Mar 29, 2009

OMG What were they thinking. It was fun tho

OMG What were they thinking. It was fun tho

• Aug 23, 2008

Guilty pleasures abound! I remember watching this when it first came out and I still love it :)

• Aug 16, 2008

fun fun fun fun fun another space aged rock musical for my books! Really, there is so much awesome, heads could explode. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 11/22/09 We didn't think We didn't think We didn't know at all Mos' def my fav musical it always sends me to the brink