Voyage of Time: Life's Journey Reviews

• Feb 20, 2019

When I walked into the theatre to see this movie, I thought it would be a nice scientific documentary, but boy was I wrong. This film consisted of Brad Pitt reading pretentious confusing poetry (eg. Love, Life....., what is it all about?) in an excruciatingly slow voice. This was probobaly the worst film I have ever seen in my entire life. Absolute garbage.

• Jul 24, 2018

I watched the 90 minute version and I am going to guess that most people would prefer the 45 minute which I imagine shares much of the narrative, if narrative it is. It isn't a narrative as much as a long form version of the voice overs pondering "father" (here, mother) which appeared on Tree Of LIfe. Over 90 minutes it might become irritating if you re in the wrong mood, but it is a Malick film so why watch it in the wrong mood? The visuals are stunning, hallucinatory and oddly charming at times. FRom strange visions to baby dinosaurs and everything in between. Totally mad, totally lovely.

• Jul 01, 2018

Gorgeous to look at but it unfortunately feels as if they had a bunch of left over footage from Tree Of Life and just made that into a movie. Grade: C+

• Brendan N Super Reviewer
    Mar 25, 2018

Artistic but will divide all the audience viewings, much like any Malick film. I found it interesting if a little self indulgent by the filmmaker, no clear message but full of visual wonders. The narration is a little cringe worthy and not the ideal choice to have on a documentary like this. You may find yourself struggling with the views by the filmmaker as well as the slow pacing but you can't deny the ambition attempted. I think it works for the most part but a few things held it back from becoming a grand spectacle, you can't fault the cinematography which is near perfect. 25-03-2018.

• Nov 11, 2017

The Terrence Malick of Badlands is sorely missed. This bloated and banal indulgence squanders the last ounce of good will he earned almost fifty years ago with his astonishing debut. A series of unconnected shots of magic hour sunsets and Icelandic geysers do not a masterpiece make, however many acolytes may disagree. And then to compound the felony, a narration by Cate Blanchett of breathtaking banality threads through, almost daring the viewer to scream "THIS IS UNMITIGATED FAECES". Watch Badlands again and weep.

• Nov 05, 2017

I was expecting a lot from Voyage Of Time. If Terrence Malick has proven anything over his lengthy career in Hollywood, it's that he loves nature. In fact, if you removed all the footage of trees, oceans, rivers, clouds etc from his movies, they would lose about 60% of their total runtime. Unfortunately, with Voyage Of Time he has continued his trend of staring at the stunning natural beauty of our world, while having nothing fascinating to say about it. He has, in short, simply done what he's always done, expect without any attempt at a narrative to get in the way of his water and tree branch fetish. What a waste of time and talent it is to recruit a fantastic actress like Cate Blanchett and have her read the usual Malick diatribe about how love unites us and how at the mercy of mother nature we are. Why didn't Malick just do it himself? The visuals are indeed gorgeous, and possess a certain poetic grandeur, but there's nothing in the film that you won't have seen or heard described by the legend that is Sir David Attenborough, a man who can make an ant scuttling across a foam mattress feel compelling. Instead we get a supercut of nature programme clichés: erupting lava flows, animals fighting, newly born creatures writhing on the ground, sunlight penetrating clouds and leaves, all wrapped up with a vague, uninteresting, sporadic voiceover that adds nothing to what is happening on screen at any given time. It's a greatest hits montage of all the non-storyline bits of Terrence Malick's previous projects. In truth, that would total about 10 hours, but even at less than a quarter of that time it's still tedious and overlong.

• Oct 01, 2017

In quarant'anni si poteva fare meglio, ma se vi sono piaciute le scene coi vulcani di Tree of Life allora è ottimo.

• Aug 07, 2017

Stunning! A must see for all who appreciate the work of Malick and those who like a vivid spiritual voyage

• Sep 29, 2016

TIFF 2016 Film #10 Beautiful in every sense of the word. Visual poetry at it's finest. My first Malick film on the big screen did not disappoint. It was an extraordinary experience. Absolutely hypnotic. (I saw the 90 minute version)

• Sep 11, 2016

The most wonderful cinematic exparience of thelast decade!

The most wonderful cinematic exparience of thelast decade!