The Wackness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wackness Reviews

September 13, 2016
It's not a Jonathan Levine written movie without being unfunny, long, and changing tone every act. But it's still well written and directed, with very unique stuff to it, outstanding performances, and the soundtrack is great! Warm Bodies was an adaptation, and 50/50 wasn't written by him, so I think Levine is a good director, and good writer when it's not an adaptation.
September 10, 2016
One of my favorite lines in a movie, "Life has a funny way of turning you into the one thing you don't want to be"
½ April 22, 2016
uninspiring and mostly boring. Nothing special in that one.
½ September 23, 2015
Josh Peck and Ben Kingsley were awesome together...Word
June 4, 2015
This movie got some damn good laughs outta me.
March 26, 2015
One of all time favorite movies, but I don't think it'll ever get the recognition it deserves. Josh Peck breaks away from his comedy background with a standout performance that's so good, you forget he was in "Drake & Josh".
January 17, 2015
Great soundtrack... '94 truly was the golden age of hip hop.
½ September 5, 2014
another drama about a troubled teen who is supposed to be a good kid. Josh Peck should stick to comedy. It had drama, sex, nudity, awkward,weird and unrealistic situations. Mary Kate Olsen was fun until Ben Kingsley came along. bad idea.
½ July 18, 2014
This film is wack. When I mean wack, I mean shit.
½ July 11, 2014
Great movie. Very funny, very small, very stylish in its direction, and led by great performances from Peck (surprisingly) and Kingsley.
½ May 25, 2014
Riding that line between exceptionally cheesy and extraordinarily cool. Perhaps the analogy of Mrs.Doubtfire meets Boiler Room fits. The soundtrack selection is dope, relevant, and snugly placed. It's enjoyable, fun and not petty or disingenuous.
May 13, 2014
Lives up to the title. One of the worst movies I've seen.
½ May 10, 2014
Great teenz flick. Darkly emotional and poignant. Love 'em all. The awkward sequences were wholly satisfying.
April 26, 2014
A brilliant script and interesting characters, make this movie a charming dramedy. Ben Kingsley just stole the show.
March 6, 2014
So brilliant, the director of 50/50 made such a sentimental film about weed. Haha but more than that. Josh Peck is fantastic, and he has changed so much after that show with him and a guy named Drake. Get him in more movies! By the way, Ben Kingsley for the win!
½ January 31, 2014
it's on my top ten list
January 19, 2014
The movie was really dope. :)
January 14, 2014
The Wackness (2008)

This little independent film is not what I would consider a comedy. Come on guys; I didn't even get a chuckle out of this. In fact it was really depressing with a lot of unhappy people trying to cope with their lives. I would tend to call it more of a coming of age drama.

Luke Shapiro (Josh Peck) is graduating from high school. He deals pot, but instead of being the center of every party, he's a depressed loner. He's not sure what he wants to do with his life and he can't seem to get laid. His parents are always fighting and they're going to be evicted from their apartment. He's been seeing a psychologist, Dr. Jeffrey Squires (Sir Ben Kingsley) basically for the price of dope.

Dr. Squires is having problems of his own; with his wife (Framke Janssen), his step-daughter, Stephanie (Olivia Thirlby) and with all the medications he's taking. He gives Luke some great advice, but he could stand to follow it himself. Dr. Squires wants to go back to the 60s, but it's 1994. Luke falls in love with Stephanie, but she's just not as much into him. It's more out of boredom.

The Wackness's saving grace is the soundtrack. There's lots of cool early hip-hop and some sounds from the 60s and 70s, and Luke does try to get it together.
December 19, 2013
Finally watched this, was pretty good.
½ December 3, 2013
Would have enjoyed better visual, as the filmmaker went a little too far being artsy fartsy on that department. Other elements are near perfect.