Wagons East! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wagons East! Reviews

½ May 24, 2017
Jesus Christ, I think we finally found out what killed John Candy. What a train wreck of a movie. It was so bad, the store I tried to sell it to didn't want to buy it; I ended up giving the DVD to some random person walking by. I hope they're OK...
½ April 14, 2017
An enjoyable and amusing movie! And I thought it had some great characters in it.
½ June 13, 2016
Lame comedy about western settlers who decide to move back east.
½ May 1, 2016
Funny premise. Not a funny movie.
April 22, 2016
Super funny, and this is why Rotten Egg sucks.
½ June 29, 2015
holy shit this movie is bad.
May 27, 2015
John Candy's last film. A dud. But he had an awesome career.
December 4, 2014
"Wagons East" is a sorry film that will only be remembered for John Candy's final performance. He stars as a wagon-train master who tries to lead a group of stupid settlers back to the East Coast. None of the jokes come through and none of the characters are funny or interesting. A sorry screenplay and a lack of direction sends "Wagons East" down a path of obscurity that few films ever experience. Turkey (0 out of 5 stars).
November 15, 2014
I've loved this movie from the theatrical release. It's nothing like Blazing Saddles, nor was it intended to be.
½ August 19, 2014
This was a funny movie.
½ July 30, 2014
(First and only viewing - 2/14/2011)
April 27, 2014
No laughs in the script. Couldn't finish it.
April 7, 2014
"they say Phil 's cows.. and hey, I'm Phil!" hehehe :P I know a lot of people didn't like this movie, but I love it!! don't be so uptight lol
½ March 30, 2014
3/30/2014: Not a single laugh throughout. It's too bad that Candy's final movie had to be so bad.
January 11, 2014
By all rights, Wagons East should've been pretty funny, but then for some reason, it just wasn't. Peter Markle does his best Mel Brooks impression as director, but really had no clue how to land a punch line. It was fun to see Robert Picardo and Ethan Phillips in a movie together pre-Star Trek: Voyager, and John C. McGinley was great, but otherwise this movie fell flat everywhere it could. Sad to see John Candy go out on such a sour note.
½ December 14, 2013
He who rated such movie with positive feedback should surely be questioning his sanity.
August 23, 2013
this movie is very bad. think it could of worked but it is just too busy and the concept goes awry which is a shame b/c it was john candy's last movie so really wanted it to work for his benefit. :( definitely pass on this one
July 12, 2013
Candy's last cinematic offering lacks in many areas, with a ploddingly slow first act, tasteless gags that run the gambit from toilet to rape, and a stock of stock cast of characters, complete with redneck brothers, saucy young bride and even the token 90s gay guy. However, at least director Peter Markle concedes with Wagons' short run time, competent cinematography with some nice desert vistas, and even the odd chuckle with some Looney Tunes-esque sight gags in the second and third acts and of course, Candy's trademark burly charm that reminds us that, even in the end, he was a true trooper.
June 16, 2013
I was so sad for Candy that this was his final film. I woner if the movie were changed cause of his death, cause he doesn't seem to get a lot to do in the film. Was cool seeing Greene in something other than Little Shop Of Horrors, and early roles by Munro and McGinley...but the later plays an over the top gay Cowboy that should offend many!

Lauter plays this superhuman bad guy trying to stop these people from moving back east and that sideplot is just a mess. He keeps surviving things that would kill a hundred normal humans.

In the end, the film just never does anything special and is very boring. Not a good swan song for Candy sadly.
½ June 12, 2013