Waiting - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Waiting Reviews

August 18, 2017
This movie is fantastic. Call it a cult classic, but if you have ever worked in the service industry, retail or customer service, this movie is extremely relatable. I enjoy it has been my go-to because these people exist, from the customers to the employees. This is quite an ensemble. Each actor is huge (now) and are humorous in their specific way. The dialogue is witty and quotable. If you've ever been 16-28 you can probably remember a time where this fictional movie was your actual life.
July 14, 2017
Guinness spots of comedy here..... lame story, but good dialogue and great characters save it!
July 11, 2017
Funny, charismatic cast with a relatable premise.
May 24, 2017
Trying to do for hospitality what Office Space did for computing, but without the humour, charm or likability. With a script that sounds like it was written by 13-year-old boys who've discovered testicular humour for the first time, this film gets more mileage out of genital jokes than possibly any other. Not comedic mileage, just mileage, since it feels like it goes on forever. Ryan Reynolds is at his most obnoxious and off-putting, portraying a hero to nobody other than drunken, immature frat boys, delivering his lines with the kind of distain that suggests he found the jokes funny the first time, but has been forced to say them over and over till no living person would chuckle at them. It's a good thing Deadpool was so popular, or he might have been stuck in movies like this his entire life. Some of the others get a funny moment now and then, especially Justin Long, who deserves better frankly. It tries to be a satire of the hospitality industry, but I spent years in that particular profession and it's nothing like it's depiction here. Also it's missing the essential satire ingredient of sharp comedy. It's a wasted opportunity, a film which could have said funny and interesting things about the daily grind of serving food and drinks to the masses, but it amounts to nothing more than an excuse for grown men to scream, overact wildly and constantly flash their knackers at one another. It's like an hour and a half long visit to the monkey enclosure.
½ May 17, 2017
Awesome, even better if you have actually worked at a restaurant before!
April 4, 2017
This film is popular with audiences because it convincingly recreates the food service industry's jolly bleakness, manic energy and dysfunctional-family atmosphere, which resonates with many people who have been there. It is unpopular among critics because its central motifs are homophobia, statutory rape and gross-out humor.
February 26, 2017
Ryan Reynolds is absolutely funny here, up to the point he may be qualified to be for Canada what Rowan Atkinson is for England, YET Waiting is hardly made to be enjoyed by anyone other than restaurant staff who deal with how disgusting and repulsive it is to work at a restaurant, and a 1 and a half hour movie that's entirely about working at a restaurant is sure to taste a little past date.
November 11, 2016
Wow! I can't believe most of these previous reviews because this movie is genius. Obviously the bad reviewers have never worked in the restaurant industry. Every character in this movie is sooo true to life. Of course with a lot of exaggeration, to make it entertaining. Yes, they are a little cartoony, but it's a comedy. No, its not exactly laugh out loud slap stick comedy, but if you know this world, it's psychological comedy. If you know the industry, the scenery, plot, characters, and dialogue, were so detailed and hit the nail on the head. If you didn't get it, you're probably not the demographic for this movie anyway. It's kind of cool that it played with the traditional structure and achtypes too. In the end, it was easy to follow, made sense, and was satisfying. I loved it.
September 14, 2016
There are good moments but it's hard to appreciate a comedy that is so often flat and tonally boring.
June 25, 2016
spot on portrayal of the different personalities behind the scenes of those responsible of your food and dining experience in restaurants. This movie serves up plenty of laughs , especially if you worked in the food game
June 4, 2016
Waiting ALWAYS gets me laughing. Anyone that doesn't like this film doesn't have a funny bone to tickle.
½ May 14, 2016
While it's highly immature and I wasn't always proud when it successfully made me laugh, "Waiting" is one of the few "day in the life of" comedies since "Clerks" that's actually worth watching.
May 9, 2016
There is some funny moments here and there but as a whole it's just not worth your time.
April 30, 2016
Extremely raunchy and gross. But it's wildly entertaining as well.
½ April 20, 2016
Likeable, often amusing and unashamedly immature film about immature people waiting tables at a low-grade US food chain. Sure there's a plot of sorts about self-discovery but if you're a fan of Ryan Reynolds' early smart-ass comedy style, this will be right up your alley.
April 14, 2016
Love this movie. Critics have no idea what a good movie is. They over analyze and miss the pure fun.
April 6, 2016
What? What's up with the terrible ratings?
If you've never worked as a server or in the food industry, you're likely to miss the hilarious portrayal of the characters.
This is one of my favorite movies, I had never heard of Ryan Reynolds before this, and am very surprised it took so long for him to make it where he is today.

Cheesy acting, but the stereotypes are dead on, from the lady that complains at the table, down to the self important restaurant manager.

5 stars from me.
April 2, 2016
This film is a miss in my opinion more of a documentary than a film! Its not that funny either!