The Waiting City - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Waiting City Reviews

August 30, 2015
India is the best character in a touching if convoluted story.
June 12, 2015
Well-intentioned but rather slow-moving.
August 23, 2014
Shot Entirely On-Location In India Factors Here As The Main Theme. Otherwise, This Journey Of Self-Discovery Is Slow..Much Ado About Nothing Really. Without Its Exciting Internatiobal Backdrop The Whole Lot Would Die In The Arse.
½ September 15, 2013
One of the most beautiful and moving films I have ever seen! This is also another of Joel Edgerton's best roles!
½ July 16, 2013
I might've found this movie more exotic were I not Asian. The whole mystical life-waiting-death thing seemed utterly dismal and pointless.
March 16, 2013
Much of the joy of The Waiting City comes from the slow unraveling of the characters relationships, as well as in the gorgeous cinematography of Denson Baker.
October 11, 2012
The kind of movie that critics like, I guess. Pretty setting. Well done...just really, really slow. Good to see Radha Mitchell in something that isn't terrible, though.
½ August 25, 2012
Beautiful cinematography and great performances from Mitchell and Edgerton. I wish that there was more of a balance between the atmosphere and the story, but I still really ended up loving it.
August 22, 2012
Eben though I just watched this, I can't really remember what happened in this! They go to India to adopt a child, but that's about it! Otherwise it's just lots of short scenes (like Burning Man) about nothing - quite boring, really. Two good leads, but they're wasted here, as is the Indian setting...
July 3, 2012
Another beautiful movie based on my hometown, Calcutta. As a Calcutta, I was amused by the details captured in the movie pertaining to the beliefs and culture of the warm-hearted people by the Australian movie house.
May 4, 2012
Just saw it, very good.
Harlequin68
April 24, 2012
Upon arriving in Calcutta from their native Australia, Ben(Joel Edgerton), a musician, and Fiona Simmons(Radha Mitchell), a lawyer, are dismayed to find that her suitcase did not also make the journey. Happily, they find it a lot easier to find their driver, Krishna(Samrat Chakrabarti), and settle in for a wait at their upscale hotel. So before their appointment with their adoption case worker, Didi Chatterjee(Tanushree Shankar), Ben renews an acquaintance with Scarlett(Isabel Lucas), an old backpacking friend, while Fiona manages a case from afar.

On the surface, "The Waiting City" has more than its share of culture clash cliches. However, the movie nicely slows its story down to match the more leisurely rhythms of India which it does a very good of photographing. Fine performances and a darker and nuanced mood definitely work in the movie's favor. It should still be pointed out that having or adopting a baby is not a cure all for a floundering relationship, as it puts much too strain on the poor kid. In any case, it is hard to imagine Ben and Fiona ever having been at the same place in their lives.
February 16, 2012
vivid, moving & gut-wrenching...know thy relationships.
December 26, 2011
A dreadful movie about dreadful people who want to adopt a baby from India. You'll find yourself hoping beyond hope that they fail. Utterly.
DrStrangeblog
December 6, 2011
And us, The Waiting Audience. A lot of nothing happens storywise from the time an Australian couple arrives in India to claim the child they adopted. As delays occur, the couple begins to doubt their commitment to a family and to each other.

The one good reason to watch this is to get a very good sense of modern life in India, filmed entirely on location in & around Calcutta. Dizzying street activity and peculiar (to Western eyes) ceremonies are fascinating to watch, including a wedding and a funeral in which the dead body is sent downriver on a raft - the same river people bathe and wash clothes in. Ick. With one of the most populous countries in the world, I'm afraid there is too much proximity for this traveler.

I guess another reason to watch is why I did, because it stars Radha Mitchell. She won Best Actress at the Antipodes Film Festival in St. Tropez for this role; she's good as a work-obsessed lawyer, but really nothing out of the ordinary from her usual strong work. Her name Radha-Rani derives from Indian culture as her model mother was enamored with the country during the 1960s, so I imagine Radha had great interest in experiencing the country for herself. That's a great opportunity for her but not a reason for you to watch.
September 3, 2011
Moving film about cross cultural adoption. Really beautifully done.
August 27, 2011
Such a moving film- the mini trip to Calcutta can perhaps be considered a bonus!
July 5, 2011
"You must act out of love, not desperation or need."

I've yet to see a movie set in India that wasn't a visual treat to watch, and The Waiting City definitely earns it's place on that list. The story, about an Australian couple come to Kolkata to adopt a child in the hopes that it will fix their strained relationship, is also interesting, even though I thought it stumbled into predictable, melodramatic territory at times. This is sort of an emotional coming of age story for the two main characters, both as individuals and a couple. The transition from who they are at the beginning to who they are at the end isn't exactly handled in the most organic way, but it is mostly believable.

The movie dabbles in ideas about faith and spirituality, as well, but in a very unfocused way.

I recommend The Waiting City to those interested in India, fans of Radha Mitchell or Joel Edgerton, and movie fans comfortable with subdued, personal storytelling that takes its time to get where it's going.
July 2, 2011
I really did like this film