Wake Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wake Island Reviews

December 14, 2017
The story of the Battle of Wake Island told from the perspective of a couple of unruly Marines (Robert Preston and William Bendix), their commanding officer (Brian Donlevy) and a civilian construction contractor (Albert Dekker). Made right near the beginning of the American involvement in the war and just a few months after the events depicted, the film is understandably basically just a rallying cry for the American public. Does it succeed on those terms? Not really. The film takes the form of a story about not very good people finding the best in themselves when facing adversity. The problem is that most of these characters are such awful people, I completely fail to care about them at all, even when they take on waves of invading Japanese soldiers.
November 6, 2017
Watching Wake Island now it simply seems like another in a long line of WWII films. It is a straightforward story that focuses on a single event that occurred shortly after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. However, there is more significance in this film when you take into account when it was made. Wake Island was actually a film released only months after the event actually happened. It?s almost a propaganda piece showing the courage of our boys at war and what we lost that led to our participation in WWII. The storytelling was a bit light in this film, because they just walk you through events as they played out. I appreciated that they at least established a couple of interesting characters, but the way the war scenes played out I never felt like I got a satisfying resolution for any of their stories. Wake Island is a movie that had a purpose at the time, but since has been outdone by a number of better WWII films. While I respect the actual men who gave their lives in this event, I?m not sure this movie was the most effective way of honoring their sacrifice. Sadly, I think this will be another film in the genre that I will forget over time, because it left no impression on me.
July 31, 2015
very good WWII pic made during WWII
June 17, 2014
Wake Island is one of those movies that cannot be dismissed as mere World War Two propaganda. The fact is that the battle for Wake Island actually happened. The battle for Wake Island concluded just before Christmas of 1941 and news from the place was pretty sketchy. It would not be known until after the war ended exactly what happened on the place--A must watch for the WWII genre fans!!
½ May 23, 2014
A bit of propaganda in the midst of the war effort, Wake Island is a passable film. I'm sure it also did its job in selling those war bonds.
½ January 25, 2014
A true masterpiece from start to finish!!!!!!
½ November 11, 2013
Timely for Veterans Day. Good WWII movie that helps you understand the sacrifice made by those who serve.
½ May 16, 2013
Very stirring wartime propaganda
July 27, 2011
It's forgotten, but the plot's interesting.
October 13, 2010
pretty good action but that's about it, no real depth. it was made in 1942 so propaganda is to be expected.
October 26, 2009
After pearl harbor a group of marines hold a post at Wake Island from the Japanese even though highly outnumbered they make a brave stand but eventually fall. Pretty dated war movie but still worth watching.
July 11, 2008
want to see this because it was nominated for best picture at the oscars and by NBR