Wake of the Red Witch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wake of the Red Witch Reviews

½ January 13, 2017
Wake of the Red Witch is one of the better John Wayne films. with a great cast and a script that has a lot more meat and layers then a lot of other forgotten Wayne movies. Anyone who says John Wayne could only doe westerns should see this forgotten gem. Wayne plays Captain Ralls former sea captain of the sunken cargo ship known as the Red witch. when the Red Witch sinks to the bottom of the sea along with it cargo of solid gold bars, two bitter rivals, the ships owner Mayrant Sidneye (played by(Luther Adler) And Captain Ralls (Wayne) find themselves forced to work together to retrieve the Witches sunken treasure. the two old enemies soon become entangled in a game of wits of which only one will walk away from. Wake of he Red Witch is a piece of cinematic history that is surprisingly entertaining and full of fun to anyone who can appreciate the classics.
June 29, 2016
One of the better early Duke movies and he wasn't a cowboy or a war hero.
March 28, 2014
A great love story for the ages
½ June 10, 2013
A good John Wayne movie. (Wayne made a lot of good films. However, he also made some stinkers as well)
December 31, 2011
A silly film. I mean John Wayne fights a giant squid. However, he's good in the film which has engaging visuals.
August 18, 2011
Wow, a lot better than I thought! Ralls (Wayne) is a tough captain of the mysterious ship, The Red Witch. When he sinks it, a mate (Young) wants to know why. He finds the man responsible, Ralls follows, and then he falls in love with this guys girl, Angelique (Russell). Ralls and Angelique almost get to the point of marriage, but her fiancee ends it with tragedy. But even without her, Ralls has to win the gold back he lost when he sunk the Red Witch-- can he do it? "Wake of the Red Witch" was something that I expected to be a dud. When people talk about John Wayne, I never hear of this, rather "The Shootist" or "The Searchers". When I finally watched it, I felt like it should be well known. It has a very fun, easy plot and Russell and Wayne's chemistry is very good after the previous "Angel and the Badman". Russell is an exceptional actress and reminds me a lot of another unknown Ella Raines. What's probably the most impressive thing about this movie is its underwater photography. Much of the plot depended on it, and they somehow made it look realistic, full of action, and beautiful. Nice thing to see. "Wake of the Red Witch" is pretty good, so check it out!
bbcfloridabound
June 29, 2011
This is an outstanding early John Wayne Film. Another early days at sea movie. When I first saw the title cover I thought maybe this was the same movie as Reap The Wind but I was wrong so wrong. This movie out does Reap the Wind by 10 fold. John Wayne is a sea captain who scuttles the Red Witch because of the cargo which is 5 million dollars worth of gold in 1948 so imagine the price today. The man he stole the gold from wants it back so this makes for a very exciting movie. 4 stars for this old Black and White.
½ April 19, 2011
I was surprised I hadn't seen this movie, at least growing up. Then to learn that this is one of the eight movies (out of over 200) in which his character dies, I was even more surprised. And, overall it's not a bad movie. I found it entertaining and kept my attention well. It's full of interesting characters who's relationship and back story are the main plot of the movie. It's story line is based on an interesting love triangle, greed, revenge, heroism, and some good old fashion sea faring action. The special effects and action is very outdated. Remembering that the movie is over 60 years old, I found it easy to look past.
March 16, 2011
well, flashbacks happen, then its hard to tell if its in flashbacks anymore or the present, some stuff happens, the story isn't really very interesting, but John Wayne fights an octopus so it gets some marks
February 26, 2010
PERFECT MOVIE FOR THOSE OF US WHO ARE HOPELESS ROMANTICS
jjnxn
½ October 30, 2009
Decent enough retread of Reap the Wild Wind but nothing extraordinary. Good cast, both Gail Russell and Adele Mara look great and Gail is properly ethereal.
March 11, 2009
Outstanding movie John Wayne is my family favorite actor
½ February 12, 2009
Wayne fights an octopus! Wayne locks lips with Gail Russell! Wayne goes deep sea diving! All that and this is still only a 2 1/2 star film thanks to the slow pace and too many flashbacks.
½ November 26, 2008
John Wayne stars as a 19th-century sea captain out for revenge against a wealthy shipping magnate in this interesting and unlikely 1948 offering from Republic Pictures. Wayne plays the wronged Capta...( read more read more... )in Ralls with a convincing bitterness that foreshadows his later work in the John Ford classic The Searchers, and his grim portrayal of Ralls hits a high point when Ralls purposely wrecks his enemy's prize treasure ship. The painfully beautiful Gail Russell costarred with Wayne only the year before in The Angel and the Badman and delivers a memorable performance as the tragic Angelique. Gig Young also stands out as a crewman who eventually learns the truth about Ralls. Wake of the Red Witch shares similarities in both character and climax to an earlier Wayne picture, C.B. DeMille's Reap the Wild Wind, but this film has a more direct approach in exploring the complex motivations of its characters. --Mark Savary
September 25, 2008
classic swahsbuckler! Got to love the scenes of Wayne fighting the octopus
½ August 26, 2008
Who doesn't love a movie where John Wayne dies in the end?
July 29, 2008
Wayne is always great as an antihero, but this movie has too much of a slow and bumpy pacing for me to enjoy.
May 6, 2008
A very decent John Wayne film - set at sea and French Polynesia! It's difficult to like him in this film, but he is ably supported by a great cast - and a fantastic motorized octopus (later famously stolen by Ed Wood).