Wake of the Red Witch Reviews

• Jan 13, 2017

Wake of the Red Witch is one of the better John Wayne films. with a great cast and a script that has a lot more meat and layers then a lot of other forgotten Wayne movies. Anyone who says John Wayne could only doe westerns should see this forgotten gem. Wayne plays Captain Ralls former sea captain of the sunken cargo ship known as the Red witch. when the Red Witch sinks to the bottom of the sea along with it cargo of solid gold bars, two bitter rivals, the ships owner Mayrant Sidneye (played by(Luther Adler) And Captain Ralls (Wayne) find themselves forced to work together to retrieve the Witches sunken treasure. the two old enemies soon become entangled in a game of wits of which only one will walk away from. Wake of he Red Witch is a piece of cinematic history that is surprisingly entertaining and full of fun to anyone who can appreciate the classics.

• Jun 29, 2016

One of the better early Duke movies and he wasn't a cowboy or a war hero.

One of the better early Duke movies and he wasn't a cowboy or a war hero.

• Mar 28, 2014

A great love story for the ages

A great love story for the ages

• Jun 10, 2013

A good John Wayne movie. (Wayne made a lot of good films. However, he also made some stinkers as well)

• Dec 31, 2011

A silly film. I mean John Wayne fights a giant squid. However, he's good in the film which has engaging visuals.

• Aug 18, 2011

Wow, a lot better than I thought! Ralls (Wayne) is a tough captain of the mysterious ship, The Red Witch. When he sinks it, a mate (Young) wants to know why. He finds the man responsible, Ralls follows, and then he falls in love with this guys girl, Angelique (Russell). Ralls and Angelique almost get to the point of marriage, but her fiancee ends it with tragedy. But even without her, Ralls has to win the gold back he lost when he sunk the Red Witch-- can he do it? "Wake of the Red Witch" was something that I expected to be a dud. When people talk about John Wayne, I never hear of this, rather "The Shootist" or "The Searchers". When I finally watched it, I felt like it should be well known. It has a very fun, easy plot and Russell and Wayne's chemistry is very good after the previous "Angel and the Badman". Russell is an exceptional actress and reminds me a lot of another unknown Ella Raines. What's probably the most impressive thing about this movie is its underwater photography. Much of the plot depended on it, and they somehow made it look realistic, full of action, and beautiful. Nice thing to see. "Wake of the Red Witch" is pretty good, so check it out!

• Bruce B Super Reviewer
    Jun 29, 2011

This is an outstanding early John Wayne Film. Another early days at sea movie. When I first saw the title cover I thought maybe this was the same movie as Reap The Wind but I was wrong so wrong. This movie out does Reap the Wind by 10 fold. John Wayne is a sea captain who scuttles the Red Witch because of the cargo which is 5 million dollars worth of gold in 1948 so imagine the price today. The man he stole the gold from wants it back so this makes for a very exciting movie. 4 stars for this old Black and White.

• Apr 18, 2011

I was surprised I hadn't seen this movie, at least growing up. Then to learn that this is one of the eight movies (out of over 200) in which his character dies, I was even more surprised. And, overall it's not a bad movie. I found it entertaining and kept my attention well. It's full of interesting characters who's relationship and back story are the main plot of the movie. It's story line is based on an interesting love triangle, greed, revenge, heroism, and some good old fashion sea faring action. The special effects and action is very outdated. Remembering that the movie is over 60 years old, I found it easy to look past.

• Mar 16, 2011

well, flashbacks happen, then its hard to tell if its in flashbacks anymore or the present, some stuff happens, the story isn't really very interesting, but John Wayne fights an octopus so it gets some marks

• Feb 26, 2010