Wake Up, Ron Burgundy: The Lost Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wake Up, Ron Burgundy: The Lost Movie Reviews

January 4, 2016
Mash up of all the deleted scenes. Still brilliant!
½ November 7, 2014
An extremely interesting alternate reality tale of the original Anchorman.
½ July 14, 2014
There are a few genuinely funny bits, including Amy Poehler's cameo, but in general the plot is nonsensical and the jokes don't really hit. It's great to hang out with this cast again, but a bit of a struggle to sit through.
½ June 3, 2014
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy is one of the funniest films I have ever seen in my life, and Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues was ok. So when I discovered that there was a third story in between I got very excited although I knew not to have high expectations for it.

Constructed out of deleted scenes from Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Wake Up, Ron Burgundy is clearly a desperate attempt to capitalise on the success of the first film without actually standing alone as a film of its own. The problem is the fact that since the film is entirely constructed out of deleted scenes and random footage from the first Anchorman, it is of material that was considered not good enough to be broadcast on the cinematic screen. There is a reason that all of the material in Wake Up, Ron Burgundy was not included in Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. It's because it is sub-par, and while it may be funny to watch the deleted scenes one after the other in moderation, seeing all of them forced together into a 93 minute film is not that good. It means that Wake Up, Ron Burgundy is only a sporadically funny film which feels like a poorly constructed series of sketches that have been loosely assembled in hopes of appealing to fans of the original film. While it may appeal to the most die hard, it simply is not consistently funny and is clearly a jumbled film.
The filmmakers seem to forget that there is a reason that all the material in Wake Up, Ron Burgundy was deleted from the first film, and its because the material is barely half as good as in the first film. And so what the actual point of the film ended up being was rather pointless. The only thing that was really any good in Wake Up, Ron Burgundy was the fact that Maya Rudolph's natural comedic charisma was entertaining, one aspect not seen in the original film. But the fact that Wake Up, Ron Burgundy sacrifices narrative coherence in favour of desperately attempting to grab the money from the pockets of fans makes it rather cringe worthy in parts. I mean its funny at times, but it is infinitely superior to the film that it was taken from. If anything, the best thing that Wake Up, Ron Burgundy does is make viewers think more highly of Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy and even its very artificial sequel Anchorman 2: The Legend continues.
For what it's worth, Wake Up, Ron Burgundy did have some funny moments, but the fact that it was desperately stretched to a period of 93 minutes of running time ensured that it overstayed its welcome fairly fast. I'm sure if you edited the film well enough it would be a funny series of deleted scenes, so if you knocked it down to about a third of the running time it would be probably worth the viewing. There is no guarantee of this, but it would be better than an overlong feature which is nothing more than a remake.

So Wake Up, Ron Burgundy has its moments, but as a whole it has too little to enjoy and feels unnecessary.
½ May 25, 2014
Quite seamless considering that it was made up of deleted material. Pretty funny too, as you would expect.
May 2, 2014
Anchorman 1.5: Wake Up Ron Burgundy is a funny movie made of deleted scenes and other footage of the first Anchorman but has a completely different plot.
½ April 11, 2014
SO what happens when you have extremely funny writers and great actors who do a lot of improvising with the script? You get plenty of tangents and potentially a lot of left-out jokes. THis movie had a bunch of story arcs completely missing from the first film that were super imposed with differently improvised scenes from the original cut. NOW - this direct-to-DVD bonus movie is also a film school lesson for Judd Apatow who - unlike McKay, cannot reasonably edit his movies down to a consumable format. Take notes, Judd - your last couple of movies were great for the first 90 minutes. The second 90 minutes ruined the first.
½ April 10, 2014
I like how they edited the film more than the film itself.
½ April 1, 2014
It's story may be non-existent and it may just be side movie filled with nothing but deleted scenes but it is still a funny movie with more than enough laughs to keep you entertained
March 2, 2014
Basically the same as Anchorman but with a few different scenes
February 16, 2014
Seriously wanna see it... it looks funny!
January 30, 2014
Not quite as good as the original movie, but it's better than Anchorman 2. It's pretty much just scenes not included in "Anchorman" that were put together in such a way that it makes a second movie. A couple scenes are repeated from Anchorman with slight changes. It's still really funny, though, especially the scene of Ron picking a fight with an elderly guy. Anyone who liked Anchorman should definitely see it if you can find it.
½ December 25, 2013
In what I consider the second installment of the Anchorman trilogy (confusing others while I do so considering how few people know this film exists), leftover footage from the original Anchorman film shoot was compiled and loosely fit together to form a makeshift plot. As a result, the action is cluttered and pacing nonsensical, but the jokes, for the most part, are still there and humor will ensue for the viewer who gives this film a chance. After seeing all three films, Wake Up, Ron Burgundy still has my three favorite jokes of the franchise, so it doesn't only have reject jokes... Bottom line, as a film, this movie is simply dreadful... But if you understand where it came from and what it is, you'll enjoy watching it... I'd recommend it to any and every Anchorman fan, but only if you've seen the first.
December 19, 2013
Much sillier but interesting.
December 13, 2013
Almost as funny as the theatrical version but I can see why they left some of this out.
½ December 10, 2013
Better than a lot of comedies, and it's just deleted scenes
½ November 28, 2013
Its alright for a movie that's had no original footage shot for it and is just a compilation of deleted scenes from a movie that's just as long.
October 19, 2013
Lacks the comedy of the original.
½ August 27, 2013
I must own this someday! I have never seen it...I must see it!
½ August 9, 2013
AKA "Deleted Scenes: The Movie"