Waking Sleeping Beauty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Waking Sleeping Beauty Reviews

July 8, 2016
What a great movie. Takes a very real and humor-filled look at what it took to create some of the best animation of all time.
July 7, 2016
A vanity project that offers a look behind the scenes of Disney animation in the eighties and nineties. It wasn't a bad movie, but I thought it could have been made better. I know it's a documentary, but it still could have been more entertaining. (First and only full viewing - 2/19/2011)
½ July 1, 2016
I enjoyed learning about the drama at Disney in their animation department, or the story behind and before their many successes in the 90s. I still have many questions though.
½ April 5, 2016
The history of the Disney juggernaut is sprawling, and documents studying its inner workings and cultural impact are numerous. What makes this film stand-out is not only its honesty and playfulness, but that it beautifully narrows its focus to the studios downfall and eventual Renaissance (thanks mostly to real savior Howard Ashman) in the 80s/90s. Sure, it's more a great DVD special feature than an actual feature film, but anyone interested in the business of show will have more than enough to glom onto.
April 24, 2015
It could have been a bit more in depth about some of the more depressing moments of the company's history, but I still think its worth checking out if you're interested in the behind the scenes of what would end up becoming Disney's original renaissance.
½ October 9, 2014
I never really gave the thought of what had happened to the studio between the years of 1984-1994 but honestly, I really felt like it basically shown everything from their low to their success.
½ May 18, 2014
Just Disney gloating
April 14, 2014
A neat behind-the-scenes, if not tiny, look behind some of Disney's more memorable outings. Witness the rebirth of a studio that had lost it's way but through hell and high water discovered the magic yet-again.
December 5, 2013
Quite an interesting and honest doc on the rise, devastating fall and fortunate rise of the company.
October 31, 2013
beetje saaie docu, maar wel leuk om te zien hoe de Disney films tot stand kwamen
October 17, 2013
I love the animated movies that this is talking about, and I want to see how disney came on top through this movie, seeing that I love disney.
June 20, 2013
I'm always fascinated by the story of Disney and how it has evolved over the years. Those who can remember that far back will remember the problems of Disney in the '80s. An interesting look as to how Disney recaptured its animation magic.
June 12, 2013
Fascinating documentary charting the fall and subsequent rebirth of Disney animation.
March 29, 2013
A small documentary put about the history of the Disney animation studio up through its 90's renaissance with The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and the Lion King. Interesting topic, but the movie wasn't too exciting. It would've been cool to see more test footage and concepting as opposed to the political struggle at the top of the Disney food chain.
January 1, 2013
If you're a true Disney geek like me, this will no doubt serve as an intriguing insight into how Disney became so successful in the late 80s and 90s. I can honestly say that I don't tire from watching it; this may be my 5th time watching it since I bought it a year and some ago.
December 5, 2012
Insider's view of Disney animation studios from 1980 to 1994. Fascinating!
November 26, 2012
To see a company go from a bad period to an amazing period would be like watching The Pixar Story again. Since I like The Pixar Story, I'll probably like this one.
November 26, 2012
½ November 4, 2012
Don Hahn's look at Disney's rebirth offers a fascinating and surprisingly candorous glimpse into the studio's past.
October 28, 2012
A satisfying documentary that's digs deep into the magic that was a lot of my generations childhood and tells the stories we never knew. I would have liked to have seen more interviews however.