Waking the Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Waking the Dead Reviews

December 13, 2015
A beautiful and underrated movie!
½ February 22, 2015
Billy Crudup and Jennifer Connelly are lovers and ideological antagonists in this haunting romantic drama that was vastly overlooked by audiences and critics. Crudup is a political idealist and opportunist driven to run for Congress; Connelly is an outspoken social activist killed by a car bomb. Connelly's death haunts Crudup years later - he can't let go of her and has hallucinations that she's still alive. (Thankfully, it's never spelled out whether or not the hallucinations are real.) This is an intelligent, emotional modern romance that makes us understand how two people with different political beliefs can still be in love. Crudup and Connelly are both superb in career best performances. Connelly is so smart and beautiful and passionate it's easy to see why Crudup would go a bit crazy. There is a wonderful scene where Crudup has a nervous breakdown at a restaurant with his family, following an election, which is heartbreaking. At times, the use of flashbacks muddles the temporal sequence but never in detriment. Written by Robert Dillon, based on the book by Scott Spencer. Directed by Keith Gordon. With Hal Holbrook, Janet McTeer, Paul Hipp, Molly Parker, Sandra Oh, and Ed Harris.
May 23, 2014
very under rated. Billy Crudup is amazing in this film.
April 1, 2014
A beautiful film and a beautiful love story. It really moved me.
February 8, 2014
Billy Crudup and Jennifer Connelly in political drama that has them in love but on different sides of the fence philosophically.
½ January 21, 2013
An amazing drama and heartfelt romance. Totally compelling and captivating. Keith Gordon is a genius.
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage.
November 30, 2012
So touching, a movie about how love can go through everything and still last.
February 28, 2012
Very haunting. A movie to make me miss someone so badly though he/she knew it'd never come true again.
½ February 8, 2012
fucking haunted movie with a great performance from billy
October 26, 2011
Billy (Dr.Manhattan from Watchmen) Crudup plays a middle-class American who is persuing a career in politics in order to make the world a better place. His girlfriend's approach is to get directly involved in rescuing people from persecution. This film explores the dilema of trying to make the world a better place without losing your own chance at happiness. A minor jem where Jennifer Connelly shines as usual! A slow-paced and intelligent film which suggests flaws with all forms of politics.
September 24, 2011
Intermittent poignancy is how I would describe this film.
August 30, 2011
Directed by Keith Gordon. The screenplay by Robert Dillon is based on the 1986 novel of the same name by Scott Spencer.The film flashes back and forth between the 1970s and 1980s and centers on the relationship between Fielding Pierce, a young Coast Guard officer with political ambitions, and idealistic Roman Catholic Sarah Williams, who is drawn to programs designed to better the lives of the underprivileged and has mixed feelings about his career goals.Pointless movie based in a pointless novel.Despite the good performances,the story is void and shallow.
½ July 19, 2011
Great story filled with highly dramatic content. The passionate love between both main characters is strong and makes the movie that more likable.
June 16, 2011
It means well, and there are some nice moments between Crudup and Connelly, but it's just not very believable or ultimately very good. I never felt like the characters were real people, and I ultimately never cared about what was happening. Sloppy editing, and some great pop songs put to not-very-effective use.
½ February 1, 2011
Suprising and engaging.
January 23, 2011
I liked the use of the Peter Gabriel song in the final scene.
July 23, 2010
agak risih menikmati film ini di bagian awal,,.. berhubung plotnya terlalu banyak melompat serta kesan mistery yg ingin dibuat sangat tidak terasa di bagian awal,,..malah film ini lebih menghasilkan pesona horor yg konyol...,,kesan romantis yg di umbar pun tidak terasa hingga akhir,..,,.. sangat kosong dan membosankan,,..,, hanya perjuangan sang karakter untuk menjadi seorang senator dengan background depresi berat sebab di tinggal kekasih lah yg menjadi titik berat kemenarikan film ini....
May 31, 2010
This film was heavy, that's for sure.
I thought the nonlinear storyline was effective. Visually this film won me over. The imagery was starkly beautiful, lighting was used to great effect; sometimes to provide warmth at other times to make a room uncomfortably bright.
It reminds me of the Constant Gardener, the version that would have unfolded if the man hadn't sought answers to his partner's death. What would've happened if he had tried to simply move on with his life.