Walk, Don't Run - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Walk, Don't Run Reviews

½ December 1, 2014
½ July 16, 2014
Back to 1964 to find 60s Tokyo.
February 10, 2014
Samantha Eggar is very beautiful in this, but the the movie itself is pretty dull.
½ July 10, 2013
This was the last screen performance of legendary actor Cary Grant and for once he is not the one getting the girl. This time he is the matchmaker in this adaption of the earlier classic The More the Merrier. Grant's character finds himself in Tokyo during the 1964 Olympics and the only room he can get is from a young English girl. This causes some difficulty but they make it work. It gets even more complicated after Grant meets a young American architect who is competing in a mysterious event in the Games. Sir William Rutland secretly puts the two young people together. It seems doomed from the beginning but through a wacky conclusion somehow it all works out in the end. Not a great film, but a decent swan song for Grant and it is certainly fun to have the film set in Tokyo.
January 12, 2013
Grant's last film ... and therein the reason to go there. And he's competent enough, given a few scenes wherein the old magic can shine, and by george, he's still got it. But the overall work, eh, not so much, a light and obvious love match-up interestingly set against the 1964 Toyko Olympic Games, with Grant as the matchmaker.
½ July 16, 2012
With the Olympics around the corner, I thought this movie was worthy of a mention. It's worth it if for not only the repeated teases before the sport that 'Steve Davis' is in Tokyo to participate in. Also, notable for being Cary Grant's last feature film.
½ January 9, 2012
First half of it was funny and brill, unfortunately it didn't keep it up until the end... Imho.
September 18, 2011
Carey Grant goes out on a high note in his final film. All the great dialog that you come to expect from the romcoms of yesterdays comes off very much a passing of the torch
½ June 23, 2011
This is a cute Cary Grant film. But not one of my favorites
January 11, 2011
funny - engaging (bad pun) lol
December 31, 2010
yeah, it's ok. Cary Grant is awesome.
December 28, 2010
I went into this one expecting Cary Grant as more of the male lead instead of the older matchmaker figure, but overall the performances are charming enough to make this passable.

Has a lot of clever moments and interactions and a fun surprise reveal near the end as we finally learn what sport one of our leads is actually involved in, after it's been teased out for the duration of the film.

Well worth a look, give ti a rental.
½ December 19, 2010
Just silly--in a nice way.
December 9, 2010
Grant's last movie! It's a remake of an older movie, which I liked better, actually, but this movie has a good cast and it's funny, so I liked it anyway.
November 14, 2010
I absolutely loved the first hour or so of this, when it didn't try to do anything but give Grant a stage for charming hilarity. I couldn't have enjoyed this portion more, and laughed tremendously hard on a number of occasions. It doesn't matter that nothing happened of any importance at all, that there's really nothing of depth to care about - the comedic performances and some good dialogue are more than enough to turn it into something purely enjoyable.

The latter stages are still good and there are still some laughs to be had, but the focus undergoes a bit of a realignment and centers itself around a bit of plot that isn't as wholesomely charming as the earlier bits. Ultimately this didn't diminish my good time enough to keep it from being something I'd want to see again though. Most comedies loose their steam toward the end so its hard to be too let down that this did the same. Perfectly fit the bill for a night that needed something light and fun, and a pleasant way for Grant to have ended his career.
½ November 1, 2010
Cary Grant's final film is proof he retired with his skills undiminished, yet it's too bad he squandered his swan song on this bland remake of George Steven's "The More the Merrier." Though there are some comedic bright spots, notably the extended morning time-table gag where Eggar lays out a strict schedule for the flatmates' morning routine, most of the film stumbles along at a lethargic pace. Director Walters does nothing to shore up the movie's tottering foundation built on it's preposterous premise -- a middle-aged man forcing his way into sharing an apartment with a younger woman amidst a housing shortage during the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, then subletting his purloined half to another man -- by coming up with a clever rationale for why Eggar wouldn't simply call the police on the creep. Left unjustified, it remains simple nonsense only outdone by the more nonsensical ending. Grant does what he can, but no power on Earth could have salvaged this dull, totally unromantic, marginally funny "comedy."
September 19, 2010
As far as swansong perfromances go, Cary Grant goes out on a positive note. A light slapstick comedy with good performances all around.
½ August 20, 2010
Cary Grant's final film before 20 years of retirement finds him playing Cupid to Samantha Eggar, who's crisp as a starched shirt, and Jim Hutton, who's Jimmy Stewart light. Grant is still gorgeous and charming, but it's more fun when he's the romancer, so I can see why he hung it up after this.
½ August 7, 2010
It was just too much. Cary Grant does a nice job as usual but the characters are all blah and Samantha Eggar is just annoying. It was a lot of strung together silly moments without any real story.
½ July 13, 2010
Walk, Don't Run is a delightfully charming romantic comedy about the 1964 Summer Olympics. Steve Davis is quite a chivalrous character. The police chief is played by George Takei (Mr. Sulu). :)