Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story Reviews

½ January 16, 2016
One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. What's ironic is that O'Reilly is indirectly spoofing the ups and downs of a movie he was in (Boogie Nights). Oh, and Jenna Fischer is super hot in this. The most underrated comedy of the 2000s.
November 20, 2015
Much better than I expected. Had some funny laughs and a nice soundtrack
October 29, 2015
John C. Reilly is his usual funny self and there are quite a few laugh out loud moments in this clever parody.
October 23, 2015
Goofing on the musical biographical dramas of the 2000s decade, "Walk Hard" is rough in patches, but mostly likable.
October 18, 2015
I'm not a fan of farces, and to be honest, I'm not that crazy about John C. Reilly, but one thing you can be sure of, is that when I see Judd Apatow's name attached to something, I'll eventually see it. Walk Hard is a mocumentary about an Elvis Presley type persona, whose music spanned an evolved over a 50 year career. As styles changed, so did Dewey Cox, his outfits, personality, and his music, it was all very clever. I especially liked when he ran into the Beatles at a monastery in India. Walk Hard has some very funny moments, but this film would be nothing without John C. Reilly. It seems like he's in everything these days and most of the roles are quite forgettable, but Dewey Cox is easily his crowning achievement. Reilly is an actor I don't care for, in a style of film I don't care for, yet I was still very amused by the whole thing. The one negative I can give the film, is that is was exceptionally long for this type of film and it spent far too much time on the early stages of his life. The end of the film felt rushed to avoid it becoming a three hour movie, which to me suggests that maybe it should have been split in two. The inherit problem with comedies is that the longer they are, the more tiresome they become. While I enjoyed the first half of the movie a lot, by the end I really couldn't wait for it to end. Farcical comedies are usually way out there and Walk Hard has some of that, but by and large it was an interesting take on fifty years of American pop culture. The film and it's star far exceeded my expectations and for what it was, I was impressed.
October 17, 2015
Not sure why, but I expected more! Still, I did laugh a couple times.
September 27, 2015
Still want to see this even if Lydia walked out of the cinema haha.
½ September 6, 2015
I've never seen so many sinks destroyed in my life.
½ September 5, 2015
Nice stoner comedy. No complaints.
½ September 2, 2015
mnogu jako! urnebes neviden! parodija na Walk the Line, ali ima delcinja i od Great Balls of Fire i Crossroads, plus ZNACI plus glumat i Eddie Vedder i Jack White :) e pa sega valjda se prepoznaa tie sto MORA da go gledaat filmov :)
August 30, 2015
funny and smart, I like it
August 19, 2015
One of the funniest damn movies I've ever seen and I'm usually very, very underwhelmed by mainstream comedy movies. If you're a musician or a musicologist, you will likely get a lot more mileage out of the material - a lot of the gags are somewhat of an "inside" joke, which may explain the lack of commercial success.
John C Reilly is one of my favorite comedic actors, bar none. (He just happens to also have a solid career as a character actor and one hell of a spectacular singing voice...)
½ August 13, 2015
Ok so you have to watch the directors cut to see the really funny stuff so I won't get to upset about the people who didn't see the brilliance in this masterpiece. Tim Meadows is under used but when he's on screen it's comic gold, it helps that this movie is comic gold through and through too. This film actually moves me... It makes me want to get off my ass and become rich and famous so I can bang a lot of chicks and do a shit ton of drugs!
JUST WATCH THE GOD DAMN MOVIE ALREADY!!!!
August 13, 2015
funny and one of the last great spoof films. You really don't appreciate these films until the second viewing.
July 8, 2015
Good music, but Reilly is miscast and Kasdan's direction isn't sharp enough to paper over the screenplay's deficiencies. Steve Martin and Carl Reiner would have scored with this kind of material. And of course Spinal Tap own this territory.
May 17, 2015
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story is one of my favorite films, as it's humor is stupid, poorly edited, and awesome. P.S., Alex Roy, Will Fearral is not in this film. That was somebody else.
May 16, 2015
This movie was funny at some parts, but most of it was hit-and-miss moments. John C. Reilly gave a good performance. Funniest moment of the movie was the song "Let's Duet." Overall, an ok comedy, but can't help but be a little bit dissappointed in the result.
½ April 28, 2015
With some inspired running gags (Cox's repeated appropriation of musical stylings from other races is both relatively ingenious and true to life), committed performances, and a soundtrack filled with bafflingly accurate parodies of various genres, "Walk Hard" is a solidly entertaining satire of the musical biopic.
½ April 26, 2015
If it was really the real life story, stupid would be all to sum it up.
April 7, 2015
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story is a great movie that I'm glad to see that parody movies can still be funny with the right crew. John C. Reilly, Jenna Fischer, Kirsten Wiig, and Raymond J. Barry are really good, and really funny. Jake Kasdan and Judd Apatow wrote a lot of jokes that are surprisingly funny consider that it's a parody, although there were some that were a bit of a misfire here and there. The music is really catchy, which I'm glad to see that they come up with their own song instead of making fun of the songs, and I'm not a fan of Country songs either which is rare. John C. Reilly does a terrific job singing the songs as he never was that much of a singer. What I'm really glad is that the plot doesn't go to tons of different movies that is not relevant to the main story, it still kept being a parody of Walk The Line which recent parody films kept doing these days and never do it in a funny way or also in a way that makes fun of them. The cameos are hilarious, and are actually relevant to the movie, even if it was for a few minutes. There's some scenes that needed to improve, but I'm just surprised about how funny Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story is and it's sad to see that recent parody films are never going to be like this, except for They Come Together.