Walking With The Enemy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Walking With The Enemy Reviews

½ August 27, 2017
Another film inspired by a true story. I am not familiar with the events in Hungary during WWII, so I found this a little confusing at times, but it was interesting to see the role the Swiss played in helping some of the Jews in Budapest.
August 13, 2017
A very inspiring story
August 4, 2017
Good portrayal of a Hungarian Jew who infiltrates the Nazi SS during WW II to save fellow Jews from sure annihilation. Good enough film to invest the time.
July 4, 2017
Excellent movie. Me and my wife fumly enjoyed it.
May 26, 2017
5/25/17 Netflix DVD

This is the story of the lesser know Pinchas Rosenbaum who helped save hundreds of Jews from the Nazi occupation of Hungary in 1944. Pinchas was actually an assistant to the much larger program led by Carl Lutz who was the Swedish consul who saved thousands of Jews through issuance of citizenship papers and refuge in the Glass House. This was an entertaining movie but a little stilted and formulaic with mean, heartless Nazis and gentle Jews who felt everything would work out. Certainly no Schindlers list but worth your two hours.
April 22, 2017
Very good movie about a part of history.
November 21, 2015
WHEN IS THIS GETTING RELEASED ON DVD
AS I MISSED THE SHOWINGS AT THE CINEMA, IM SO GUTTED PLEASE RELEASE THIS SOON
MANY THANKS FROM A FRUSTRATED VIEWER
June 19, 2015
Went to see it with friends and we all thought it was a great story and enjoyed it immensely. I would definitely recommend it!
½ September 13, 2014
skillfully done family movie: no profanity, nudity or graphic violence. the story line was well done and well paced.
August 13, 2014
Excellent reminder of how evil can rear it's ugly head if left unchecked.
June 27, 2014
I loved it! Very heavy and death heavy, but it ranks up there with Life is Beautiful, Jacob the Liar, and the Book thief as one of the best WW2 dramas ever. I highly recommend it for adults... Its a little too graphic for younger viewers.
May 12, 2014
Professional reviewers commented this movie was melodramatic. This film's major weakness is it's heavy melodramatic structure. It's been a long time since I've seen a similar movie treatment. The second problem was the lead male character, Elek (Jonas Armstrong). He wasn't terrible, but I could not buy his take on the principal male hero. He did not ring true. Also, the ending felt very contrived.

There are some pluses. The cinematography is very good. The story is good. Most of the actors are pretty good. Ben Kingsley is excellent. The various evil Nazi and right wing Hungarian thugs are very convincing.

But, the whole film had an unreal, amateurish feel to it.

It was a modestly OK trip to the flics.
May 5, 2014
Thought the acting was second class. Great story...but done in a way, that it almost seems a gross use of fabrications
May 4, 2014
Walking with the Enemy is a moving, powerful, heroic and tragic tale. Not for the faint hearted but otherwise not to be missed.
½ May 4, 2014
great story, mediocre movie
May 3, 2014
It is an amazing story of individual courage to protect innocent people against horrendous atrocities. The acting was great! Definitely worth seeing!
½ April 29, 2014
What a powerful film based on true facts! This is a must see for anyone who wants to learn the story of a brave Hungarian Jewish man near the end of the war and his efforts at saving so many people from the horrible atrocities of the Third Reich. Great acting, great story line, well directed and I loved the way the film was structured.
½ April 28, 2014
Overly melodramatic and shallow at the same time, this fascinating bit of holocaust history deserves a better movie than this.
April 26, 2014
The movie theater was full and there is no one going out talking about how amazing was the movie it i can rate it with more than 5 stars i will do it
½ April 26, 2014
A gripping account of the Hungarian WWII occupation and holocaust, inspired by true events.