Wall Street - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wall Street Reviews

February 24, 2016
4/5 Stars. Kind of the tamer, more socially-critical version of Wolf of Wall Street. Made in 1987, Wall Street is the story of a young man played by Charlie Sheen who is trying to make his way up in the world of stock-brokering when he finally gets his chance to meet the legend himself, Gordon Gekko, played by Michael Douglas. Sheen gives Gekko a tip he got about a company via his father and the rest goes from there. Sheen is awarded with all the fancy crap money can buy, and learns how to be unscrupulous from his mentor, whom Douglas plays almost as expertly as DiCaprio played Jordan Belfort (Douglas has more of a reserved elderly rage, compared to DiCaprio's manic viciousness). Eventually, things go beyond Sheen's control and it starts to blow up in his face, but I'll leave spoilers out of this. Sheen is perfect as the young up-and-comer, and again, Douglas is just superb at his role as the heartless Wall Street psychopath. Daryl Hannah also shows up as the love interest, but she's completely overshadowed by the bromance onscreen; Martin Sheen performs well as Charlie Sheen's father. Overall, a nice addition to set alongside Wolf and American Psycho in their depictions of the excess that has led to our current day and age.
February 15, 2016
Is a little bit hard to movies about financial market, but this one of the best movie of the gender. Im already watched this movie 7 times , and I like so much...
½ February 11, 2016
Wall Street is the big daddy of all "Wall Street" films. It has inspired many careers in the securities industry, as well as sequels and copycat films.

I am not a fan of Oliver Stone, but this film is well acted, has a great screenplay and protagonists, including the great Gordan Gekko villain. Subsequent attempts to capitalize on this film's success have failed miserably, with the exception of Wolf Of Wall Street.
December 16, 2015
Good plot. Minor characters suck
December 10, 2015
A better lead actor to go alongside a great performance by Michael Douglas would have helped propel this movie into something great. I understand Charlie Sheen was a popular young actor in the 1980's but honestly, he is just not that good and frankly is poor in this movie. The only thing that makes this movie worth watching is Michael Douglas' portrayal of Wall Street mogul Gordon Gecko, a cutthroat vicious businessman who embodies everything the "blue collar working man" hates. A somewhat good concept, but overall a film you should not go out of your way to see.
December 8, 2015
85%
Saw this on 8/12/15
A lesser entry as far as Oliver Stone filmography is concerned, but still the film has evolved to be an archetype for many films about wall street or just crime itself and many of these films simply copy it's ending. Oliver Stone directs this film also as a tribute to his stock broker father and that love can be seen in the electrifying scenes between real life father and son Martin and Charlie Sheen who also play father and son here. The film has effective acting from Michael Douglas, Charlie Sheen and Martin Sheen. One of the other important things about the film is that anyone can follow it, you are not bored by the stock market here and Stone presents it in an easily accessible manner. However, Daryl Hannah gives a poor performance and much to the irritation she looks like a whore in this film.
November 25, 2015
I am not a fan of Oliver Stone. While he has made films I like, for the most part I find him to be a crude, didactic storyteller who tells everything is really broad, loud strokes. "Wall Street" is not a film I actively dislike, but I don't find a lot to like. It's an overly simple morality tale that telescopes every plot development and constantly pulls it's subtext right to the surface with crude visual metaphors.
½ October 4, 2015
My expectations may have been a bit too high here, as I just couldn't find much enjoyment in this movie about stocks.
September 13, 2015
Una de las esenciales de Oliver Stone en el que muestra el lado oscuro,sin etica del mercado accionario.A destacar Michael Douglas y un joven Charlie Sheen pre-Two and a half men
August 12, 2015
I very much liked wall street Michael Douglas was great as business man Gordon Gekko and Charlie Sheen as account exec Bud Fox in this story of greed
½ July 5, 2015
Greed is good. And so is this movie.
June 23, 2015
see this then boiler room then wolf of wall street. re4.5-5
May 10, 2015
Although this movie is predictable to say the least, Michael Douglas carries the film. His performance makes us forget about the awful acting from Charlie Sheen and makes this movie bearable.
April 8, 2015
Greed is good. A good representation of the excess of the 80s. Oliver Stone really brings out the best of Charlie Sheen...
April 8, 2015
Undoubtedly the most classic movie made on Wall Street. The chemistry between Michael Douglas and Charlie Sheen couldn't have been better. Must watch for anybody, regardless of whether or not you're a fan of Finance.
April 6, 2015
Fairly interesting with lots of dialog that stays very interesting. It taught me a lot more about previously confused perceptions about insider trading at the stock market. Gripping at times and well acted by the even then seasoned cast.
½ March 20, 2015
Although reasonably a bit outdated, Wall street still boasts great performances from its leads, and a well told story about power and greed (even if it has been replicated many times by now - possibly even done better in films that have come after this one). All in all, Wall street is a good watch, even if its just to see a younger and seemly more sane Charlie Sheen at the height of his career.
March 18, 2015
It was a good film and though the director had much better films, this one is still good and portrays the rise and fall of a kid who wants to make it to the top and a greedy business overlord. I would recommend it though its definitely not for everyone
March 8, 2015
Fantastic film. Having seen 'Wolf of Wall Street' I was interested to see Gordon Gekko in action. Sheen and Douglas are brilliant together. A very good film.
February 1, 2015
Couldn't give a damn about any of the characters, tis difficult to empathise with arseholes