Wallace and Gromit in 'A Matter of Loaf and Death' - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wallace and Gromit in 'A Matter of Loaf and Death' Reviews

½ August 8, 2016
Not sure this is quite as good as the previous 3 entries. Goes for too many in-film gags and references and tries for a darker black humour approach which had my 3 year old mostly lost. Still some fun to be had and my son has loved watching these Wallace & Gromit films but this is the relative low-mark.
January 18, 2016
this move is my bakers dozen and has a great story to it.
January 4, 2016
great fun up there with the originals again a fun silly storie great animation and great British humour
½ December 29, 2015
Not the best W&G short but it's another helping for the fans that won't disappoint either.
August 17, 2014
You cannot deny wallace and gromit are not good old fashioned british humour. A matter of loaf and death once again sees the duo in a new baking business. However things start to go wrong when local bakers are going missing. A great instalment to the series, hilarious and entertaining, which proves this dynamic plasticine duo still have what it takes.
½ July 20, 2014
Great animation, but the story can't touch on the original Wallace & Gromit films from the 90s. The pacing's all wrong and there's only a trace of the thought and care put into the originals. The female lead character appears to have been created by men who have some issues with women...
½ February 9, 2014
It's good stuff, but it doesn't measure up to the trio before it. It's antagonist is annoying and there's nothing magical about the plot.
December 28, 2013
"Wallace & Gromit: A Matter of Loaf and Death" is good and funny.
½ December 24, 2013
Let down. I have been a fan of these two since I was young. I loved their fun adventures and light hearted laughs with none of the violence and 'bad stuff'. This movie was about a woman trying to kill Wallace!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it! I watched the whole thing but my mouth literally opened. What a let down. I'm really tired of people changing what was good.
November 20, 2013
Nick Park's characterizations and claymation skills remain a marvel, but two flaws of this tale of baked goods and murder ate at me. First, the story is too focused on violence to be fun. Second, in a surreal world where Gromit behaves as a human being (albeit a mute one), the second dog Fluffles walks an uneasy line between being Gromit-like and being 'just a dog." Her traits don't seem internally consistent, and she fails to be a convincing peer for Gromit.

The best laugh: the image of bread loaves swelling suggestively as Wallace's and Piella's flirtation blooms elsewhere.
½ September 18, 2013
Another good Wallace and Gromit a pretty good one a98%
½ June 28, 2013
Funny. DVD extras good too.
May 29, 2013
At Least It Ends Well for Gromit?

It's sometimes hard for me to remember that there is so little Wallace and Gromit made. Really, there are four shorts, a feature, and a handful of what I think of as mini-shorts, which aren't so much stories as extended jokes about inventions. It feels like there ought to be more, somehow, but if you added up all the films, it probably wouldn't be much more than about four or five hours. I'm aware that I have considerable connection to characters whose entire existence is even shorter than that, but for some reason, it feels like there should be more than that for these characters. I think at least part of it is that the original three shorts all feel like they're longer than they really are in my memory. "The Wrong Trousers," in particular, does not feel to me as though it's only half an hour long, and yet it is, just as this is. I don't know why, but there it is.

This time, Wallace (Peter Sallis) and Gromit have converted the house into a windmill, which serves as a bakery. Unfortunately, there is a serial killer going around, killing bakers. Twelve have died. One day, as Wallace and Gromit are delivering bread, they see a woman on a bicycle whose brakes have gone out. She is careening downhill, and it doesn't look like it will end well. They rescue her. She turns out to be Piella Bakewell (Sally Lindsay), formerly the Bake-o-Lite Girl and the woman of Wallace's current dreams. He falls for her, but Gromit has been through this a time or two, and he doesn't trust it a lick. Sensible Gromit--she, of course, is the one killing bakers. Her experience at being dumped as the advertising figure has turned her bitter, I think, and she wants to kill bakers to get her revenge upon those who have wronged her. So naturally, Wallace is her new target. To make it even more complicated, Gromit has fallen for her dog, Fluffles (Melissa Collier).

Wallace is lucky that Gromit is loyal. We know that he is capable of writing, even if he cannot talk, and we know that nothing they do succeeds without his efforts. We also know that all Piella would really have to do in order to ensure Wallace's death is to somehow dispose of Gromit. Without Gromit, Wallace would be lucky to live an hour and a half. Every business we see him undertake would fail without his cheerful assumption that Wallace will do all the hard work. He swings about on a rope, washing windows. He is the test subject for all those half-baked inventions. He has to be up in order to wake Wallace up, and we've even seen him forced to put on a sheep costume so that Wallace can count him over and over until Wallace falls asleep. Without Gromit, Wallace is screwed, and of course he doesn't even realize it. Gromit does, and most of the people they meet figure it out pretty quickly, but for whatever reason, Gromit doesn't just leave Wallace to die in a puddle of his own filth.

In many ways, this doesn't feel like a typical Wallace and Gromit short. I mean, okay, you do get the sly background references, but there are hardly any weird gadgets, and the main plot is a bit scarier. While Feathers McGraw does put in an appearance, if you squint, and there's a reference to Preston of "A Close Shave" that is similarly fleeting, this is the only Wallace and Gromit to feature death as an important plot point. Piella is obsessed with the idea of killing a baker's dozen of bakers. That's a little scarier than any of the other plots. Even in [i]Curse of the Were-Rabbit[/i], you don't have the sense that Victor Quartermaine is really competent to kill the ordinary rabbits, much less the were-rabbit. However, this short starts with a character's death. Oh, Gromit also gets a happy ending, and a well-deserved one, but it's still a little unpleasant. There's no blood, and you know that Wallace isn't going to actually get killed, but it's still a little out-of-place compared with the others.

I'd still watch another Wallace and Gromit short if they made one, but I kind of feel that the earliest two were the best. Gromit is still one of my favourite animated dogs--I resent bitterly that Piella accuses him of biting her, especially because he doesn't actually have a mouth. I'm glad he gets something good for once, instead of just going back to status quo at best. And I like to hope that maybe Fluffles can get a better name now, because that's, well, the sort of awful name a woman who lives in the past would give her poodle. 2009 was the only year Nick Park and Aardman Animation were nominated for an Oscar but didn't win. ("A Grand Day Out" lost, but it lost to Park's own "Creature Comforts.") I'm not sure I've seen "Logorama," the short that won that year, but I can see the Academy as having had exactly the same reaction to this one as I did--and not giving it the Oscar not because it wasn't as good as "Logorama" but because it wasn't as good as "The Wrong Trousers."
April 7, 2013
I love Wallace & Gromit. So charming.
March 20, 2013
Not the best W&G but still superb animation and a fun ride for the family
March 5, 2013
Living up to the high standard at aardman animation!
½ February 20, 2013
Fairly amusing and certainly nice to look at, but not as funny as the other Wallace and Gromit shorts, and certainly not as charming. Many of the jokes were spoofing well known films and would probably only be found funny by people that have seen them. Nonetheless, it was enjoyable enough and the animation, as always with Wallace and Gromit and with Aardman was top-notch which is great considering the fact that A Matter of Loaf and Death had the shortest production time for any Wallace and Gromit short so far.

It'll please the kids, that's for sure. The adult-pleasing jokes felt sparse but hit the mark. The story lacked the usual quirky charm of Wallace and Gromit but it still pretty much worked. I enjoyed the film but overall felt it lacked elements that made the previous ones so brilliant, so for me it's a 7/10.
February 16, 2013
While weak for Wallace and Gromit, A Matter of Loaf and Death is a fun ride with a heaping helping of innuendo.
January 22, 2013
Really wanted that girl dog to shout "GET AWAY FROM HIM, YOU BITCH!" but it didn't happen, so, less stars.
½ January 4, 2013
"Wallace and Gromit A Matter of Loaf and Death" isn't the strongest of the shorts but it takes the animation to a whole new level and it's still hilarious for all ages. With the mill having a prominent role in the film's beginning and climax, there are some very impressive scenes where hundreds of little pieces are moving in perfect unison and it's a real work of art. The animation for the characters is smooth, the new character designs imaginative, the comedic dialogue is great and the background jokes (which have become a staple in the Aardman films) are as good as they've ever been. Any faults that can be found in the movie are really just nitpicks and it's terrific entertainment. You shouldn't miss this charming, incredibly animated and very funny chapter in the series of "Wallace and Gromit". (Blu-ray, December 31, 2012)