Walt Disney Treasures: On the Front Lines - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Walt Disney Treasures: On the Front Lines Reviews

½ June 20, 2004
"Victory Through Air Power" was a largely animated feature-length piece of propaganda released by the Disney studios in 1943. It has gone largely unseen for sixty years, but now surfaces on the latest "Walt Disney Treasures" set, "On the Front Lines". It doesn't live up to the best, or even the better, of Disney's animated features, but there are some points of interest, and from a historical viewpoint it's a fascinating film. Most entertaining in the movie is the opening segment. We're taken on a fun trip through the history of aviation. This portion of the movie has been seen quite often over the years. Then we're introduced to Major Alexander de Seversky, upon whose book the film was based. In a nicely educational segment, he explains to the layperson the strategies of Germany and Japan during World War II, and the obstacles the USA will have to overcome in order to win the war. Major Seversky is convinced we can only win through air power. There are times in the film when the Major's lecturing gets a little tiring, and any propaganda film can get heavy-handed at times, but at just over an hour, this is a completely watchable nostalgic piece of patriotism.