Waltz with Bashir - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Waltz with Bashir Reviews

May 20, 2015
You really feel like you are seeing the war from the perspective of the protagonist. An intelligent and deeply moving portrayal of the innocent mind in a sinister world and the brutalities inflicted by all sides of the conflict.
½ May 13, 2015
Well that was dark movie, but it was great.

The story is about the atrocities of war, they're not sure if their dreams are real, imaginary, or just the gateway to a flood of memories they'd rather not have to face.

Waltz with Bashir is the best animated movie for adults and film lovers out there. The movie is dark, shocking and it was good choice to make it animated, why you ask well with animation you can animate whatever you and I'm talking about you can make it gritty, happy, depressing or realistic, and the animation in this movie fitted the tone perfectly.

I'm not going to talk any more of Waltz with Bashir and I know I should tell you all about the movie but I think this one is special and to the people who haven't seen yet and just came across this review, the only thing I have to say to you is go watch it knowing nothing and see what kind of experience you get, if you hate that's fine it's your opinion but if you love it good for you.
March 28, 2015
This is fantastic, so original, so good at making you emote with the subject, well done indeed.
½ March 1, 2015
I can honestly say that I've never seen anything quite like WALTZ WITH BASHIR before. It's animated, but it's also a documentary which recounts director Ari Folman's attempt to reclaim long-suppressed memories of his involvement in the Lebanon War. The animation-documentary combination is an odd one, but nevertheless it works extraordinarily well with what the filmmakers seemed to be going for here. Although it mostly deals with firsthand war experiences, the larger theme is subjective and fragile nature of memory, particularly of the traumatic and painful variety. I don't really want to get into any specifics because to do so would spoil the impact. All I'll say is that this film builds rather slowly as different people are interviewed and details are revealed, and the climax is sure to provoke an emotional reaction. As far as the quality of the film is concerned, the animation is very well-done. The movement is a little odd at times, but this is due to them either using cut-outs or roto-scoping (maybe a combination of both?). I'm fairly certain that the interview scenes were based on actual film footage, but I could be wrong. The sequences in the past are distinguished from the present by having this watercolor-like, washed-out, yellow-tinged and dingy look, while the scenes in the present have more natural-looking color. Back to thematic content, there is also some discussion about dreams and how they relate to memory. And of course, since this film deals with a war (and massacre) issues of morality come up, if in a more subtle way than you might think. What I took away from this is that the Lebanon War (and Palestinian massacre) is something that weighs heavy on the Israeli/Jewish conscience. We as human beings tend to block out things from our memories that we find offensive and overly traumatic, and there probably is some cognitive dissonance between the very real atrocities visited on Jews in the past and the atrocities that they have inflicted, or at least passively observed being inflicted, on others. It should go without saying that this film deals with some very heavy subject matter, but it's very important that we as human beings are able to confront and deal with all memories, even the ones we'd like to forget.
½ January 18, 2015
Mezcla de animaciòn y documental , pelicula que narra acontecimientos reales y el horror de la guerra , con un final que te pone los pelos de punta.
½ January 17, 2015
This animation movie plays with music, images (the best of the movie are the very good soundtrack and photography), reminds, dreams and even real videos to describe you the situation in Libanese-Israel war, and the things that soldiers lived. With a not very structured narration, it wants to describe more feelings than a story, and remembers a little to Apocalypse now and other war movies which try to describe the horror of war. Not absolutely original, but deep about the issue it talks about, and beautiful in its display.
January 15, 2015
A unique, engaging and impactful documentary.
½ December 2, 2014
A beautifully animated, surreal and tragic look at the Lebanon War though the glazed memories of post-traumatic stress disorder. It's a film to be watched and moved by, but don't expect to be feeling cheery afterwards.
November 2, 2014
This film is haunting, harrowing, and perfect. You're sucked so deep into the fantasy world that you forget it's all entirely real - which is exactly the point. When the credits rolled, nobody moved, nobody spoke.
½ October 6, 2014
Truly unlike any film you'll ever see, Waltz With Bashir is a visually arresting, graphic and haunting journey into the horrors of war. Although it is animated, this film is actually a psuedo-documentary, recounting the experiences of director Ari Folman, a veteran of the First Lebanon War. Ari encounters an old friend of his who is having nightmares of his own experiences, and wonders why his own memories seem to be so full of holes. He has largely forgotten the horrors of what he saw and did and experienced in that war, and decides to dig deep into his past and find the memories he has lost. He reconnects with others who were with him or involved in the conflict and slowly begins to piece together the terrible things he and his friends and comrades saw or did. While the film is not without a few flaws, namely a couple of odd and out of place sexual scenes, it is a stunning and unique experience that burrows into your mind and leaves you shaken by its conclusion.
½ September 25, 2014
Biggest Folman crime is decision to make Waltz with Bashir as animation. I don't understand why ? 1 star less.
September 6, 2014
Moving, terrifying, and depressing all at the same time. The animation perfectly captured the atrocities of war.
August 31, 2014
Warning:War violence (bombs, firearms, shooting people and animals)VomitingA series of genocidal atrocities viewed and participated in by the main character, with animation done in flash animation, obviously originally intended to be posted to NewGrounds. It's just a series of disjointed flashbacks to horrifying events. With no background story. If you don't know your Israeli history, you're stranded and excluded from understanding, and may mistake this films for some kind of disturbing snuff film. I shouldn't rip on the animation, because it probably would have been okay if it had any backup. This is ugly and violent history whose animation allows people to distance themselves from it, and appraise it as an 'artsy film'. If this was acted, or even well animated, viewers would be vomiting and complaining about its lack of redeeming qualities. But it's drawn, so it's soul "baring and emotional". What a fantastic display of sort-of-curious-but-then-distracted apathy
August 10, 2014
Extremely impressive, fascinating and enlightening about the difficult scenarios in the Middle East in the 80's. Highly recommended.
August 3, 2014
A hypnotic dance with death that delivers an emotional wallop and a potent anti-war message.
It's a fearless and unblinking march into the heart of one man's darkness and the pain and anguish of generations and nations.
A powerfully ambiguous meditation on personal and collective avoidance.
June 29, 2014
Probably the most disturbing, powerful war film I've ever seen. It made me remember words of Vonnegut from Cat's Cradle : "Perhaps, when we remember wars, we should take off our clothes and paint ourselves blue and go on all fours all day long and grunt like pigs. That would surely be more appropriate than noble oratory and shows of flags and well-oiled guns."
½ June 24, 2014
Such a gorgeous looking animation. Really interesting way to make a documentary, keeps your focus.
½ June 4, 2014
Great use of animation. The footage at the end is the most important part of the movie.
½ May 27, 2014
Memory believes before knowing remembers. Believes longer than recollects, longer than knowing even wonders. -- William Faulkner
April 25, 2014
Ari Folman ha creado con Waltz with Bashir una obra de arte que merece ser recordada por mucho tiempo, las imágenes son poderosas junto con relatos desesperantes llenos de frialdad y melancolía en muchos otros. Todo se complementa, la animación, la música por parte de Max Ritcher, los diálogos y por ultimo el impactante material de archivo utilizado al final.