Wanderlust - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wanderlust Reviews

January 9, 2015
Not as consistently funny as some of his others but when it hits it really hits. Ken Marino and Paul Rudd are the stars here. And shout out to the Stella reunion as newscasters, holy shit it works so well.
January 8, 2015
A pretty decent movie... which was almost ruined by its contrived ending. But it's still entertaining.
½ January 7, 2015
Sparsely funny moments in an overall flat comedy.
½ January 4, 2015
One of the worst Rudd and Aniston movies I've seen.
½ December 31, 2014
worth it just for paul rudds motivational mirror speech
December 28, 2014
Wanderlust banks off of Rudd and Aniston's chemistry, sheer absurdity, and its high level of quotability, successfully forgiving its shortcomings.
December 21, 2014
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....WARNING YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENES AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
November 22, 2014
A bizarre misfire from David Wain and Paul Rudd, Wanderlust's miniature 80 minute run-time feels longer than most of Apatow's films.
November 22, 2014
a interesting film with wit
November 9, 2014
POS for exactly the opposite reason "I Love You Man" was good. Where the latter produced the uncomfortable aspects of the first-world today in an effortlessness that paralleled the ease of the film's mood, Wanderlust is contrived moment on top of moment.
October 29, 2014
It started ok, the usual flick I expected it to be, but then it started to have some major plot holes plus it became ridiculous!
½ October 18, 2014
Complete trash, filth, stupid, waste of time, etc!! If I could give it 0 stars I would. It's a shame cuz I like the cast.
½ October 14, 2014
A rather superficial satire of the hippie generation. Trite, predictable gags, bad acting, and a mediocre script. I stopped watching after 40 minutes.
½ October 12, 2014
Wanderlust has some good moments of comedy but the ending is a real letdown. The film follows Paul Rudd as George and Jennifer Aniston as Linda. They're two New Yorkers whose luck just completely runs out a couple of days after they've bought a new apartment. Without any real money and without a house to call their own, they're forced to move in win George's brother Rick (Ken Marino). Along the way they get sidetracked and run into a hippie commune named Elysium. In this carefree and down-to-earth environment, the two find that they're quite happy and decide to give the place a try. George quickly finds that the slew of quirky characters were fun to meet once but the hippie lifestyle really isn't for him though while Linda finds herself very happy and wants to stay. On top of this drama between the two there's the threat of the community losing their homes as a company seeks to evict them and build a casino where the group is living.
A big flaw with the movie is that it injects a lot of traditional Hollywood moments and elements in the film when there's absolutely no need for them. Reading the brief synopsis above you're probably wondering "Why do they throw in a plot about losing the land in there?" There's already plenty going on in the film without this, but for unexplainable reasons this cliché, and several others find themselves a new home in the film. George and Linda are already having plenty of problems not only adjusting to the new location but there's a wedge being driven between the two of them by the fact that George lost his job and Linda hasn't been carrying her weight when it comes to the couple's finances. You've got some good drama here, particularly when the characters really get settled in the commune and they find out that there are some aspects of their new-found life that the two of them really disagree upon. On top of that, you've got a nice selection of genuinely funny characters, with the owner of Elysium, Carvin (Alan Alda) always wandering around not knowing what he is doing and rarely making any sense, the nudist (Joe Lo Truglio as Wayne) who cheerfully shows up at the wrong time constantly, George's sister-in-law Marisa (Michaela Watkins) who's very dense and barely seems to know what's going on half of the time and a lot of others (my favourite being the woman who is married to the black guy and takes every opportunity to remind everyone that they're a mixed race couple). You're happily treading along these stories when the plot where the commune is threatened slaps you in the face out of nowhere. I have a theory that this development, is only inserted because the writers had no idea how to end the movie. "I know! What if they beat the bad guy! That's a great way to end the movie! Oh wait, that means we have to write in a villain somewhere... oh well, who cares if it doesn't make any sense and doesn't fit the rest of the movie at all?"
There are a few flaws throughout the film that could have been forgiven if it wasn't for the downright awful ending. Several plot elements go nowhere, like some mysoginist news anchors that appear once the "losing the land" plot point comes in and are quickly dropped and some contrived dramatic moments between our leads. If you aren't convinced that the "big conflict" in the film is completely shoehorned in and belongs in a totally different movie, you try and convince me that the whole thing couldn't have been avoided or resolved within five minutes if that one character who speaks up towards the end of the film hadn't done so right away instead of reading the script and figuring out when he needed to say something for the plot to play out as it does ultimately. To the movie's credit, there's a lot of nudity and some good moments of improvised comedy. There us a big payoff to the nudist character that really had me laughing.
Ultimately, "Wanderlust" is just ok. There are some good moments to it that are quite nice, but they don't quite offset the bad stuff. The movie ends up being not particularly memorable. It's the kind of comedy you rent if you saw the trailer and you thought it looked alright and you've already seen every other comedy that's been released this year. (On Dvd, July 2013)
September 21, 2014
I love Paul Rudd, and hippies, but this is just mindnumbing crap.
½ September 12, 2014
Some of it was too gross for me but I still liked it thanks to Jennifer Anniston's appeal, Paul Rudd says some stuff, Malin Ackerman is enchanting, but mostly Alan Alda is incredibly hilarious.
August 25, 2014
Reuniting Rudd and Aniston from "Friends" would be the reason to watch this film. It may contains only a couple of laughs, but unfortunately the comedy genre is what the hippie genre is using on and off while that genre is using its own weird behavior with few disgusts. (C+)

(Full review coming soon)
½ August 23, 2014
George and Linda are an overextended, stressed out Manhattan couple. After George is downsized out of his job, they find themselves with only one option: to move in with George's awful brother in Atlanta. On the way there, George and Linda stumble upon Elysium, an idyllic community populated by colorful characters who embrace a different way of looking at things. Money? It can't buy happiness. Careers? Who needs them? Clothes? Only if you want them. Is Elysium the fresh start George and Linda need? Or will the change of perspective cause more problems than it solves?
August 22, 2014
I can't help but love this movie
August 15, 2014