Voyna i Mir (War and Peace) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Voyna i Mir (War and Peace) Reviews

March 9, 2016
Epic in scope with beautiful cinematography, costumes and acting. Exactly as I would've imagined it while reading "War and Peace".
½ February 8, 2016
Quite a set piece. Can see the influence of almost every Russian film after it in here--Solaris, Russian Ark, Hard to Be a God, Day Watch -- everything!
September 29, 2015
It does suffer from a two hour section where the pace slows to a crawl, but the remaining five hours are filled with the most incredible battle scenes ever seen on film, and the astounding 1812 Fire Of Moscow.
June 2, 2013
The best screen version of the best novel ever written.Bondarchuk's War & Peace is absolutely unique masterpiece.One of the most magnificent films of XX century.
May 31, 2013
This is an epic masterpiece in the history of film. 8 hours of great acting, battle scenes, realism, the perfect score and the theme of Tolstoy's novel were executed magnificently. I recommend you to watch this film, real soldiers were used, no CGI. this guy was the same dude who directed Waterloo. If you want an 8 hour fest of the best quality film, this is for you.
August 12, 2012
A titanic achievement in literature and this is the definitive adaptation...
July 1, 2012
A once in a lifetime experience, an immense visual masterpiece, as well as a peerless look into Tolstoy's mind, and brilliance.
½ June 13, 2012
only 6 hours!? Pfff
Well, survived it, but i must say it is georgous to look at, never boring, but sometimes a bit dull and liveless. There are too many monologues and too many war scenes, not enough dialogues and poor natasha rostova as the bad end of the straw, her story is not exploited enough, especially the Kuraghin plot is left out. but the camera work is for that age ( 65) beautufull and innovating
January 17, 2012
I think the fact that the movie won an Oscar for best foreign film, despite of the cold war at the time, shows how brilliant the movie is.The grand and magnificent scenes are very impressive. The performance is also great. The only pity is the color. It's not true color. But it looks more like a documentary. Generally, it's a picture of real Russian style. Treasure this masterpiece...if you can find it.
December 26, 2011
Sergei Bondarchuk's screen adaption of Leo Tolstoy's worlds famous epic novel War and Peace is probably the version that is closest to the book itself. Bondarchuk is able to make it as perfect as it possible could been. He manage to show us every tiny details from the book. and are able to show as many details as possible even when there is a chaotic scene.

War and Peace takes place in tsarists Russian empire during the Napoleonic wars from the battle of Austerlitz to the Napoleon's retreat from Moscow. We follow the Russian nobility in their every day life. All their parties, their problems and we also follow some of them in combat. The three main character in this film are Pierre Bezukhov and Price Andrei Bolkonsky who are both at one point in love with young and beautiful Natasha Rostova.

The History behind this film is quiet amazing. You can see that this is an outstanding production that took years to film. Reconstructed battle scenes were filmed on the location where the battle was fought in real life, like with the battle of Borodino where the whole battle have a running time of 45 minutes. This was probably the most amazing thing that the world had seen on that point. Use of handheld camera, filming from above shot, 100.000 extras. And all this done without CGI animations.

This is a wonderful mix with many small elements, but the most important main theme that they really have been able to catch is of course the horrible theme war, and the movie seems to focuses on that theme while themes like, politics, economy and religion which is very much a part of the book is pretty much toned down or never mention at all, and I respect that. Bondarchuk really have handled the theme war as perfect as it could have been, or more powerful than I could have imagine. He is able to show us a totally chaotic view of the war which is more closer to reality.

One of the best scenes I think is when Pierre tries to help a lady to find her missing child in all chaos, while the french steal every silver cutlery they can find while Moscow is on fire. All the voices, the screaming children. All this filmed with a handheld camera, makes it one of the most powerful and tear dropping scenes I've ever seen.

This such a great spectacular piece of Soviet filmmaking. You can see elements of such other great soviet artist such as Sergei Eisenstein's use of montage where so much is happening at once such as he did possible with some stairs in Odessa. And there also some element from Andrei Tarkovsky's beautiful and dreamy landscape shots. To put it short it's contains the greatest elements from the two greatest artist in Russian cinema.

My conclusion about this film is that if you are one of those who have read the novel this would probably be the most satisfying version compared to the Hollywood version for instance. Of course there are somethings that I missed from the book, but I can also understand why the chose not to. but this is a surprisingly good film that I can't wait to see again some day. A good long film, that one which could have been even longer, even though it's already almost seven hours long. I guess it mustn't been any questions between the academy members that this shouldn't be the winner of the best foreign film award. A mile thumbs up.
July 13, 2011
Considering its cost and the vast effort that went into its making, such a film can be made only once in our time. The wonder, indeed, is that it was made at all. Exhaustive, spectacular, often dazzling in its ambition and faithfulness to Tolstoy, the movie is to be regarded as one of the wonders of epic cinema.
½ May 25, 2011
I had such a nice powernap. The movie might be good but I think I slept throught most of it. I woke up in time for the dramatic battle scenes.

The movie has a dream-like quality which I liked (pardon the pun)
May 19, 2011
This movie is the best war movie ever made. The camera work, the action scenes, the editing. This is the movie. The only bad things about this movie are the Tolstoy quotes.
March 19, 2011
stunning, visually inventive 4-part, 8-hour epic on a scale we may never see in film again. in part 1 i thought, 'this is the most amazing battle sequence i've ever seen,' only to have it dwarfed by the battle in part 3. masterfully swoops from a god's eye view into the minute psychologies of a crowd of characters. features unbelievable locations, setpieces, and costumes, but also tells a sweeping emotional story that spans as many years as it took to film. a must see if you love historical epics.
Critique Threatt
December 4, 2010
It is a very long picture. A very long masterpiece at it's finest. Is it me or have I been leaning towards Russian pictures lately?
November 25, 2010
Probably,the best Russian movie ever.You should watch it,cause it's truly great.Amazing actors,decoration and close-to-original-book screenplay.
½ November 10, 2010
Yeah, this is the one.
October 11, 2010
The best movie based on novel ever made
½ June 8, 2010
Epic interpretation of Tolstoy's massive novel. Handsome adaptation, with a good bit of direction appropriate to the shifting moods of passion and war, but at the same time there are a couple of long portions that feel overblown even for the heady subject matter involved.
April 21, 2010
Finest adaptation of that timeless masterpiece.