War Gods of the Deep - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

War Gods of the Deep Reviews

½ April 9, 2016
Disappointing final film for director Jacques Tourneur. Supposedly based upon an Edgar Allen Poe poem, Tab Hunter and his compatriots find themselves sucked into a mysterious Victorian Era underwater city run by Vincent Price. The film does have a bit of a proto-steampunk/BioShock feel that's kind of fun and director Tourneur does manage to include a few striking shots here and there, but overall this is one of the weaker AIP Poe films and not really worth watching.
January 3, 2016
so bad it's good from the director of original 'cat people'
½ February 19, 2015
Tacky and lacking in all the wrong areas, ´War Gods´is a sad end to Torneur´s distinguished career. Price and Tomlinson try, and the sets are not half bad, but a dull script, idiotic characters and a lack of fun kill it dead.
½ March 23, 2014
It has a good horror/sci-fi feel to it, beautifully shot, and stars Vincent Price--Enjoyable subterranean hokum!!
February 13, 2010
A decent enough 60's adventure flick that's marred by some overlong and confusing underwater sequences towards the end.
May 3, 2009
A definite addition to your 'so bad it's good list', 'War Gods of the Deep' or 'City in the Sea' - it's alternate title and that of the Edgar Allan Poe story it is very loosely based on - is trashy fun from start to finish. The hero of the piece, Tab Hunter, acts like a ten year old boy in his first Disney movie throughout, which only adds to the fun as he battles Vincet Price and his henchmen who rule over a gothic underwater city, unfortunately situated alonside a volcano which is just about to erupt. Tab is aided by David Tomlinson as a bumbling something or other... along with his pet chicken, which at one point shares a giant diving helmet with the bemused actor in an extended underwater escape scene which also features two actors in Creatures Of The Black Lagoon leftover outfits... one of which splits open during an underwater fight to clearly display the wetsuit underneath it!! Who could ask for more... but if you do want more, there are also Susan Harts breast's, a giant concrete hand and even a secret of eternal life. I loved it!
bbcfloridabound
February 3, 2009
What Surprised me about this movie is it's based on a Edgar Allen Poe Short Story. And of course any story written by Poe could have no one other then Vincent Price Play the bad Guy. This movie with the backgrounds and the colors reminded me of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. The star of the show was the cochin bantam hen named Henry, Don't know any other movie who got in the credits. Little to much Rubber on the Sea monsters. 3 Stars and that?s a stretch, In my collection cause it came as a MGM Midnight Double.
½ November 30, 2008
Un film trascurabile nella carriera del regista Jacques Tourneur, consigliato solo agli appassionati: non aspettatevi un'opera ai livelli de "Il bacio della pantera"(1942), "L'uomo leopardo" (1943) o "Ho camminato con uno zombie"(1943). La storia è tratta da un racconto di Poe, ma sembra ricordare più le atmosfere e i temi di Lovecraft. Vincent Price è il sovrano-tiranno di un regno subacqueo popolato da esseri ancestrali metà uomini metà anfibi (praticamente tanti sosia del mostro della Laguna Nera di Jack Arnold), che rischiano di scomparire a causa di un'eruzione vulcanica. Completano il quadro un poliziotto giovane e coraggioso e un'artista squinternato che gira per tutto il film con una gallina irrequieta dentro a un cesto, impegnati a cercare di salvarsi la pellaccia.

Un film fiacco e lento, che manca assolutamente di ritmo, tanto che perfino il malefico sovrano interpretato da Price diventa soporifero. Da evitare.
September 14, 2008
Vincent Price, Sea Creatures, and a chicken!
July 31, 2008
One of the lesser Vincent Price/AIP films, as well as the least enjoyable Jacques Tourneur film I have seen.
July 25, 2008
Pretty awful. Even though it's got a great cast Tab Hunter, Vincent Price, and Emelius Browne...I mean David Tomlinson. I can't believe this is the same director that brought us Cat People and I Walked with a Zombie....see what happens when you have budget?
½ July 12, 2008
Incompetent, shoddy production. Made me feel seasick with its camera bobbing during ridiculously prolonged underwater chase scenes. Not helped by AIP's pathetic attempts to make this relevant to Edgar Allan Poe. I truly pitied Price & Tournier, who must have been at the ultimate low point in their careers.
March 3, 2008
Considering the parties involved, this should have been a great B movie. It is however complete cack. A plot that seems to jump all over the place and an interminable underwater sequence that seems to last forever involving a chase where you can't tell who is who. Very disappointing.

Known in the UK at least, as 'City Under The Sea'. Stiil rubbish though!
February 15, 2008
A cheesy sf movie from the 60s. They tried to claim a Poe connection that was nonsense.
February 4, 2008
Super long and mind numbingly boring underwater sequences make this film pretty awful.
Lame.
Vincent Price doesn't add anything to the movie and Tab Hunter is the Casper Van Dien of the time.
A very peculiar long running joke involving a rooster may be the most perplexing attempt at humor ever in an adventure film.
October 29, 2007
Campy, but entertaining.
August 7, 2007
Vincent Price AND Tab Hunter?? I can't NOT see it.
May 12, 2007
I'll see it only because Vincent Price is in it
½ September 13, 2006
Good, if a bit plodding.