War Horse - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

War Horse Reviews

June 10, 2016
a great film that makes you deeply care for the characters plot and throws you right into the story
½ April 21, 2016
I loved this film! It is such a visually beautiful piece of filmmaking with impressive camerawork/cinematography, a well-put-together cast, not to mention a magnificent musical score by John Williams! Anyone who loves horses, or is a WWI enthusiast, or is a Spielberg fan will love this film!
½ April 15, 2016
Spielberg likes to make semtimental films that bypass the key points and themes the films have an ability to explore. War Horse is no exception, placing a sentimental horse story above all else.
½ March 27, 2016
War Horse is both emotionally gripping and surprisingly heartfelt - and it never feels manipulative thanks to Spielberg's confident and impressive direction that he always brings to the table, regardless of the film.
March 23, 2016
While this film is a bit long, it's still an extremely emotional tale between a boy and his horse.
½ March 20, 2016
Obviously very well done. Since based on a child book, the story is disneyesque at times. The war reenactments and locations are positively stunning of realism. The story is also too excellent to be true, although we feel the danger and see much killings. The fights in France were just killing fields for able men. In reality, most war horses were used for meat at the end of the war.
½ March 20, 2016
March 18, 2016
A breathtaking tale of friendship. Though you could say this film is overlong, its always fascinating. Going on a journey with this horse is wonderful. Also the ending of this movie is one of the emotionally satisfying moments I've seen. I'm probably rating this movie higher than most but I stand by how much I loved this movie. It is a heartwarming and enjoyable film. Among Spielberg's best in my eyes.
February 29, 2016
War Horse: Directed by Steven Spielberg
Albert (Jeremy Irvine) enlists to serve in World War I after his horse is sold to the cavalry. Albert's journey brings him out of England and to the front lines.
The cast is alright and it is visually good but did it try to hard to be a tearjerker? It's predictable and a little silly at times, it just doesn't work for me.
The film is of course based off a play and novel of the same name.
½ February 7, 2016
Displaying technical prowess and some fine acting, War Horse is a mild and watchable drama - even if it doesn´t quite match Spielberg´s former feats.
½ February 6, 2016
Spielberg is a great director and he continues to make great movies like this.
February 3, 2016
Was not overly impressed with War Horse, bit I do think a large part of it is that I expect so much from Spielberg and don't have much like for glamorizing war, which I believe this movie does. The filming and cinematography is great, which I expected from Spielberg no matter how the movie turns out in the end, and the script is ok, but the acting is a bit lacking. The action could have been another Saving Private Ryan beach landing, which is something I think he could do well in a future movie, and although the scenes good looking, minutes the obvious lack of blood due to the rating, the sound effects could have been far movie intense. How I personally would have liked to see more blood and realism, but I can understand that this movie is targeted at younger audiences and this is not appropriate. How everyone spoke English also didn't go well for me. So yes there's a lot of things I didn't like here, but it's because I've seen so many of his war movies and have very high expectation of them these days, and the subject matter here simply isn't for me. However for younger kids I think this is great work.
February 3, 2016
Both visually and technically impressive, along with some noteworthy performances, War Horse is a fable with a high moral purpose, and audiences will either be overwhelmed by the impact or find themselves fighting to resist it.
December 20, 2015
Another try of Spielberg for show us a "Fantastic and Memorable History". It changes what initially must project the film, causing the viewer to lose sense confuda and the main characters.
½ December 1, 2015
This was a beautiful, moving film. It showed you the horrible atrocities of war, but the beauty of true friendship. But be sure to bring a tissue box because there are many emotionally moving scenes. The acting was beautiful and real, not to mention the attractive cast such as Jeremy Irving who played Albert Narracott and Tom Hiddleston as Captain Nichols. War Horse is by far one of the best films of the year and definitely a must-see.
November 13, 2015
With amazing cinematography and breathtaking moments, War Horse is an epic adventure with Spielberg's fine touch.
November 7, 2015
A movie with a split personality. It doesn't really want to be a war movie. It's like a Disney-fied version of a war movie.But, there are also scenes of war that, though not as realistic as those in Spielberg's "Saving Private Ryan" (he directed this, too), are still pretty brutal. It's all about the horse, though. How much you love horses will dictate how much you like this film. Through each vignette, the horse is the emotional centerpiece. Although some of the acting is a bit stiff and character development is not great, the film overall earns it's emotional ending. I really enjoyed it. I just wonder what a different director would've done with it. As it stands, it's a very good movie that's not quite sure what it wants to be.
November 7, 2015
No one does sentimental epics quite like Spielberg, and War Horse finds him at his most unabashedly weepy. It has gorgeous cinematography, great acting, some fantastic action scenes, is never boring despite a near 150 minute runtime, and has a very likeable central character, Joey, the titular horse who becomes embroiled in the First World War. He's something of an equine Forrest Gump, travelling from place to place, encountering various situations and leaving an indelible and lasting impression on every person and situation he encounters. Within the first 5 minutes we know exactly what kind of movie we're in for, with John Williams composing his usual Spielberg tear-jerking whimsy. It works in many scenes which are genuinely heartfelt, but often feels forced into moments where the film-makers obviously want us to reach for our handkerchiefs. To this end the movie often feels rather manipulative, and while I won't argue its sentimentality is often corny and heavy-handed, I was genuinely moved by some of the scenes, particularly the ones featuring Joey and the human lead Albert, who raised him. Sometimes, shots as simple as a horse running through a forest can be so powerful and evocative. If you're not big on thick cinematic syrup, this definitively isn't your movie. But if you are, and have come prepared with a box of tissues, be ready to use them.
November 1, 2015
Spielberg knows handle perfectly the action and drama in this great film. A beautiful story with many characters well developed thanks to the great direction of Spielberg, is not his best film, but it is without doubt an incredible film.

Review en Español:
Spielberg sabe manejar perfectamente la acción y el drama en esta gran película. Una bella historia con muchos personajes bien desarrollados gracias a la estupenda dirección de Spielberg, no es su mejor película, pero es sin duda alguna una increíble película.