War Horse - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

War Horse Reviews

February 3, 2016
Both visually and technically impressive, along with some noteworthy performances, War Horse is a fable with a high moral purpose, and audiences will either be overwhelmed by the impact or find themselves fighting to resist it.
½ December 26, 2015
This movie was nothing but one big cliche.
December 20, 2015
Another try of Spielberg for show us a "Fantastic and Memorable History". It changes what initially must project the film, causing the viewer to lose sense confuda and the main characters.
½ December 1, 2015
This was a beautiful, moving film. It showed you the horrible atrocities of war, but the beauty of true friendship. But be sure to bring a tissue box because there are many emotionally moving scenes. The acting was beautiful and real, not to mention the attractive cast such as Jeremy Irving who played Albert Narracott and Tom Hiddleston as Captain Nichols. War Horse is by far one of the best films of the year and definitely a must-see.
November 13, 2015
With amazing cinematography and breathtaking moments, War Horse is an epic adventure with Spielberg's fine touch.
November 7, 2015
A movie with a split personality. It doesn't really want to be a war movie. It's like a Disney-fied version of a war movie.But, there are also scenes of war that, though not as realistic as those in Spielberg's "Saving Private Ryan" (he directed this, too), are still pretty brutal. It's all about the horse, though. How much you love horses will dictate how much you like this film. Through each vignette, the horse is the emotional centerpiece. Although some of the acting is a bit stiff and character development is not great, the film overall earns it's emotional ending. I really enjoyed it. I just wonder what a different director would've done with it. As it stands, it's a very good movie that's not quite sure what it wants to be.
November 7, 2015
No one does sentimental epics quite like Spielberg, and War Horse finds him at his most unabashedly weepy. It has gorgeous cinematography, great acting, some fantastic action scenes, is never boring despite a near 150 minute runtime, and has a very likeable central character, Joey, the titular horse who becomes embroiled in the First World War. He's something of an equine Forrest Gump, travelling from place to place, encountering various situations and leaving an indelible and lasting impression on every person and situation he encounters. Within the first 5 minutes we know exactly what kind of movie we're in for, with John Williams composing his usual Spielberg tear-jerking whimsy. It works in many scenes which are genuinely heartfelt, but often feels forced into moments where the film-makers obviously want us to reach for our handkerchiefs. To this end the movie often feels rather manipulative, and while I won't argue its sentimentality is often corny and heavy-handed, I was genuinely moved by some of the scenes, particularly the ones featuring Joey and the human lead Albert, who raised him. Sometimes, shots as simple as a horse running through a forest can be so powerful and evocative. If you're not big on thick cinematic syrup, this definitively isn't your movie. But if you are, and have come prepared with a box of tissues, be ready to use them.
November 1, 2015
Spielberg knows handle perfectly the action and drama in this great film. A beautiful story with many characters well developed thanks to the great direction of Spielberg, is not his best film, but it is without doubt an incredible film.

Review en Español:
Spielberg sabe manejar perfectamente la acción y el drama en esta gran película. Una bella historia con muchos personajes bien desarrollados gracias a la estupenda dirección de Spielberg, no es su mejor película, pero es sin duda alguna una increíble película.
October 28, 2015
Beautiful cinematography, and Sarah Jessica Parker will make you cry!
October 23, 2015
Really know how to be unsubtle with the sentimentality don't you Spielberg?
October 12, 2015
Oh, horse movies; why must you all have the same silly tropes (underestimated beast, training montages, barely believable rapport with owner)? Having said that, Spielberg makes the suspect script more than just corny and old-fashioned with some truly gorgeous visuals and just enough big dramatic moments. Like a horse-breeding calendar, "War Horse" is vapid and inoffensive, yet pretty and solidly epic.
October 9, 2015
October 6, 2015
Very well written and directed movie. It kept my attention throughout. This movie definitely had passion, sorrow, joy, and friendship. Courage was also an element that was established in the movie.
½ October 5, 2015
Could somebody please pass Mr Spielberg a trowel so he can apply an extra-thick layer of syrupy sentimentality? Thanks.
October 1, 2015
War Horse is a fantastic war drama that brings Spielbergs mastery of emotion and scope to the screen. It may be very campy in some scenes, but it never took away from this epic experience and journey.
September 21, 2015
A Spielberg-ian stage play melding the animal tales of Lassie and a grandiose John Ford eye.
½ August 25, 2015
A clever way to provide snapshots of the first world war, if the ending is rather predictable, Spielberg makes the journey there a typically moving experience.
August 18, 2015
War Horse is an incredible, poignant, and emotional drama from Steven Spielberg thanks to its outstanding performances and compelling storytelling!
August 18, 2015
I give it 3.25 stars. Pretty good movie. The story was ok. I really loved the beautiful, real-life setting, all the horse footage and the history about the war. I wouldn't buy it, but I'd watch it again.
½ August 18, 2015
It was okay, just not as good as the poster looks.