War, Inc. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

War, Inc. Reviews

June 27, 2016
Reminding you why you loved John Cusack in flicks like Gross Pointe Blank
January 5, 2016
A movie of walking on a cult style on a serious topic.
January 3, 2016
I love a good political or social satire. "Thank You For Smoking", "How to Get Rid of the Others", "Land of the Blind" and "Idiocracy" are among my favorite films. "War Inc" attempts to be a film just like those, but if fails in every way.

"War Inc" takes place in a fictional country. Where "Land of the Blind" shows us a country that reminds us of at least half a dozen of countries and eras (from 18th century France, Mussolini's Italy and Lenin's Russia to '50s South-America and '70s Northern-Ireland), "War Inc" gives us nothing but a poor American caricature of the Middle-East. At no time did Turaqistan remotely seem like an actual country, not even a Middle-Eastern country like it's supposed to be. As a satire, however, this recognisability is essential for it to work.

The humor in "Thank You For Smoking", "How to Get Rid of the Others" and "Land of the Blind" is all clever and subtle. "Idiocracy" gives us a shallow layer of "Beavis & Butthead"-like retarded humor and a deeper layer of intelligent humour actually making fun of those who enjoy the first layer (which many seem to miss). "War Inc" gives us none of that. For most of the film, the humor usually seems either absent or too over-the-top ("Scary Movie" style), totally losing its effect for me.

The story is not very interesting either. The story of occupation and corporate greed is overshadowed by the dull interaction between a frustrated deep cover assassin, a self-conscious anti-war journalist and a confused teenage pop star, making most of the film completely uninteresting.

Who would I recommend this film to? I honestly don't know. Personally I don't think it's worth wasting your time on.
½ November 16, 2015
One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Not even "B" film quality.
September 29, 2015
Jittery observational.
June 27, 2015
War, Inc. is a heavy handed and lazy satire that's overly concerned with its political message. The story follows a hitman who's sent to take out an Arab leader in the war-torn country of Turaqistan, which is being policed and rebuilt by private U.S. contractors. John Cusack, Hilary Duff, and Marisa Tomei lead the cast and their performances are pretty good. But the script is poorly written and there's nothing clever or subtle about its ham-fisted lampooning of the Bush Administration. Still, some of the comedy works and is outlandishly funny at times. Yet despite delivering a few laughs, War, Inc. is a clunky and convoluted film.
May 31, 2015
John Cusaak is the man. Can't stand Joan.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
This movie was not quite what i expected it to be. I thought it would be a great action thriller movie but ended up with something else. Its a satire movie with political things with a bit odd story including an assassination , war with a sorta comedy style with many different characters etc.. some may like this movie and some may hate it and im somewhere between i guess. Its a watchable movie overall and John Cusack makes his roles quite good so take a closer look if this flick sounds interesting to you.
½ September 11, 2014
The story was confusing and very boring.
½ July 31, 2014
I was like what the heck was that. It was like a war movie mixed with a stupid film with a bombshell girl. Ugly movie right here!
July 7, 2014
I tried hard to really like this Grosse Pointe Blank "sequel" and occasionally my dedication was rewarded, but in the end the film just didn't satisfy.
May 24, 2014
Started off as a good satire and then degenerated into nothing. What a waste of a good cast.
½ April 18, 2014
John Cusack egyik legrosszabb filmje, említésre sem érdemes.
½ April 9, 2014
Great movie about the hypocrisy of modern warfare. Funny, too.
½ March 10, 2014
Kind of "Grosse Point Blank 2" which is certainly not a bad thing. John Cusack plays an assassin, Joan Cusack plays his assistant and Dan Aykroyd is in it as well. Benny "The Jet" Urquidez doesn't appear in the film, as he did in "Grosse Point Blank," but he did return to do the excellent fight choreography. Cusack also co-wrote the screenplay, which he did on "Grosse Point Blank" too. However, this film isn't nearly as good. Trying to satirize the military industrial complex, Cusack plays an assassin working for a shadowy Halliburton-like company and coordinating with a Dick Cheney-like vice president, Dan Aykroyd, but it all comes off pretty heavy handed and not all that funny. Hilary Duff is surprisingly good as an Eastern European pop idol and Marisa Tomei is good as a reporter. Cusack is also his usual awesome self in the lead, and it's the actors that hold this film together and make it watchable. "Grosse Point Blank" was fun and original. This film seems angry and trying to force the fun, but I suppose the corporitization of war is not really a funny subject.
March 3, 2014
Some parallels to Grosse Point Blank but nowhere near the fun.
February 10, 2014
much ado for nothing!
½ December 27, 2013
I didn't realize it was a John Cusack movie until oh about 1 minute in, then it became obvious. It started out labored, and honestly probably never got any better, but I do enjoy the tone of most of his stuff. But really, nothing special, certainly not the plot, even it was meant to be some kind of commentary. Marisa Tomei didn't save this, and it's probably one of her least interesting performances. Her outfit at the end was pretty damn nice though.
October 28, 2013
One star for a good idea. One star for great acting. The rest? Doesn't *quite* make it...
September 27, 2013
This movie was completely ridiculous. I can't believe that I bothered to watch it.