The War Lover - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The War Lover Reviews

½ April 28, 2015
A reckless pilot with a love for thrills risks all when his rebellious attitude gets in the way. Given the cast, this should have been so much better. Stock footage, stiff performances and a weak story sinks this one quickly.
August 24, 2013
Seemed like war propaganda, but it went deeper with McQueen struggling for purpose as a bomber captain. Although he was talented, he was a loose cannon and ended up hurting others. He then redeems himself in a unique way, but after all his risk taking his luck runs out. Daphne had an odd voice, but was pretty. The shots of kings college in Cambridge were also nice.
December 9, 2012
I liked this movie the first time I saw it, because it was pretty realistic in the scenes depicting the air war and the Hell that the 8th Air Force B-17s and their crews endured.
Buzz was a riveting figure, and the viewer, this one at any rate, devloped a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with his character. He was a distillation of many of the negative things that make some warriors so great---honed for only one thing, and that is to kill.
As a former AF fighter pilot myself, and with an uncle who flew Fortresses in the 8th AF in WWII, I gave this movie high marks for accuracy and character development.
April 10, 2012
I watched this when I was a kid, and all I remembered was the climatic scene. Seeing it again, I found it to be a pretty solid story. McQueen and Robert Wagner play off each other well. A throughly enjoyable WWII movie!
May 24, 2011
THE WAR LOVER (1962)
½ May 1, 2010
Interesting war movie, based around a B-17 pilot (Steve McQueen) and co-pilot (Robert Wagner) and their bombing missions over Germany in WW2. Reasonably predictable, but the action sequences are great, utilising WW2 footage plus footage filmed especially for the movie.
½ August 4, 2009
Very good film with Steve McQueen playing a bit of a bastard who carries a mask with him wherever he goes to combat all his inner fears he dare not admit during wartime
August 2, 2009
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch....its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie....i think that steve mcqueen, shirley anne field, robert wagner, michael crawford, al waxman, gary cockrell play good roles/parts thorughout this movie.....i think that the director of this action/adventure/drama/war movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie....i think that this is a good movie 2 watch n its an enjoyable war movie 2 watch
jjnxn
March 22, 2009
Not bad study of differing pyschologies that make up a flight unit in WWII. McQueen and Wagner are well cast and work well together. Shirley Anne Field is a very classy leading lady and the romance is well presented and doesn't interfer with the main story. The ending is unfortunately abrupt and hurts the overall feeling of the film.
September 23, 2008
Wow! This was great! I love Steve McQueen but he was at his best in this one!
½ July 28, 2008
The dark side of McQueen.
½ June 19, 2008
Pretty good movie. Solid acting and story with good action scenes. Worth watching.
May 30, 2008
May 28, 2008
Worth watching for Michael Crawford's american accent alone. Great footage of B17's, and Steve McQueen on good form.
April 21, 2008
½ April 18, 2008
A solid film showing a different side of McQueen.. The star of this film is the B17.. Some of the action scenes with this plane are just amazing.. no CGI.. worth picking up..
April 1, 2008
decent war film, has McQueen trying to steal his buddies girl.
March 4, 2008
Basically a remake of "Hell Is For Heroes" , this time in the air with the mighty U.S. 8th Air Force, McQueen playing a less admirable, morals lacking psychopath version of HIFH's "Reese" against clean and handsome Robert Wagner as they clash over the girl who can't decide between the Bad Boy and the Good Boy (Sounds like NYC or L.A. on a Saturday night, Eh?). Dumb requisite love story detracts from the action, but this is more psychological thriller than "War Is Hell" genre like "Hell Is For Heroes" or "Pork Chop/Hamburger Hill". A movie you can share popcorn with your Babe of choice, she gets the love story and you get to enjoy the heroic danger of the air action, not to mention the charisma of the great McQueen & Wagner...
December 12, 2007
A rare chance to see Steve McQueen as a rather unlikeable character, but then he is supposed to be mirroring the hell of war, in this case flying.