War Made Easy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

War Made Easy Reviews

January 9, 2009
Too much jumping between eras and not enough focused analysis on the wars in each period. This lack of analysis is partially to blame for the "preaching to the choir" feel-- if you are critical of the US government's foreign policy then this film will inflame those passions, if you are not, then this will feel like "liberal" propaganda.

Being personally in the former camp, I felt renewed shame and frustration while viewing. I especially liked when the film focused on specific propaganda techniques/phrases ("cut and run"), and raised specific examples of those who dared to dissent in he heat of the moment (Donahue, Morris, Lee...). However, conservatives are stereotyped as bloodthirsty, brainwashed fools, and I would have appreciated some intelligent comments from the "other side".
December 30, 2008
Its just like playing Civilization or Risk. Attack is the best defense and required to stay on top. Everything else is just a matter of how you state your case before attacking. Don't get it? Watch this one and you will!
December 14, 2008
think we americans aren't susceptible to government propaganda? think again.
½ November 14, 2008
Interesting but nothing really new about it.
November 14, 2008
Why do we just believe the Media?? We believe Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, etc. to give us the facts, but they have proven time and time again that they provide the information they want us to believe and are ultimately in the pocket for the Government, a government that should work for us, but more often than not works against us.
November 4, 2008
An informative look at how the US government has manipulated the media and its people in regards to its wars. Makes you question what you hear, who you hear it from and why you're hearing it.
November 2, 2008
A very interesting account of the media's relationship with military conflict. Preaches to the choir but worth watching if you are interested in journalist or press freedom of information management. However, you are better off with Adam Curtis' "The Power of Nightmares"
September 28, 2008
What's with this documentary using only one person as an interviewee? Not sure how Sean Penn signed on to this one - taht too he does a terrible job as narrator. There are a million other documentaries that cover the same exact issues more extensively and effectively. 'War Made Easy' felt a little like 'The U.S.media and Iraq for Dummies'.
September 20, 2008
Biting documentary that juxtaposes Iraq with the rosy picture portrayed by the administration. What makes this film different from others is the use of kenetic montage and news clips to show how the mass media were co-conspirators in duping the public.
September 18, 2008
Really nothing new, but still interesting to see.
½ September 17, 2008
Fantastic movie about how political figures along with a lot of the media should basically not be trusted since there is very little unbiased politicians or media.
September 16, 2008
It was an okay documentary. Nothing too special.
August 27, 2008
rhetorics and embedded journalism: media and government working hand in hand.
Not much new in this docu, much the stuff has been covered by docu Zeitgeist.
Might have been interesting to take a look at Rupert Murdoch, at who funds CNN and the role of Hollywood.
½ August 24, 2008
I recommend you see this movie! It is an interesting look how the US government has been 'spinning' the truth to enter into military actions and wars since the late 60's.
August 13, 2008
Honest, interesting, but uninspired film. Eerie parallels drawn between Vietnam and Iraq wars. Overall, a fair look at imperial America.
½ August 9, 2008
Pese a la ola de documentales que, acogiendo la contingencia de la guerra en Irak, han apuntado al historico belicismo gringo, este introduce un analisis mas que un bombardeo de datos, y con la serena narracion de Sean Penn se hace interesante y reflexivo. Nada muy bueno, pero bien hecho.
½ August 8, 2008
Nothing really new that I hadn't seen or heard before and doesn't really delve into the nitty gritty details which I think would have been more interesting. However, depending on what you have and haven't seen already you may like it more.
August 2, 2008
A great documentary about the inevitable consequences of a lopsided media landscape in times of war. Difficult to live up to the values of freedom and democracy if you are tightly wrapped into an American flag - Go see this one.
August 1, 2008
Excellent! A tour de force! In this complex age of globalization where some governments are touting political and economic ideologies, we seldom see an in-depth analysis of the corporate media. Whose side are they on? The people, the left wing, the ring wing? This astounding documentary presents us with such analysis in the American corporate media through the lenses of different American administrations, from Lyndon Johnson to George W. Bush, but including Nixon, Clinton and George Bush senior. The propaganda techniques may have varied and indeed have become more sophisticated but the message and the game is still the same, manipulation of the populace at large at all costs to support deceptive wars, conflicts and causes anywhere in the world. This documentary should be required viewing in high schools. Prepare to be educated in corporate media spin!