War Of The Dead Reviews

• Brody M Super Reviewer
    Sep 05, 2016

I prefer zombie movies where the zombies are walkers & HATE the movies where they're runners.I was hoping the zombies in War Of The Dead were going to be walkers but I guess I should've known.I know I probably would've been way more into the movie if they were.Hopefully someday, somebody will make a zombie war movie where they are.If it's been done recently I know nothing about it.Surprisingly though, it worked in War Of The Dead.I couldn't imagine the zombies being any other way.War Of The Dead was a non stop action/horror flick.Something was always happening here & there & the zombies being like they were, just added to it.I was into it right from the start till the very end.Still it's not something I'd ever watch again or want to add to my movie collection but if somebody was thinking about watching it I wouldn't tell them not to.If they were thinking about buying it, I'd tell them not to unless they got it super cheap or at least watched it 1st

• Jan 04, 2015

Boring and plodding. War of the Dead has a neat concept and is full of ideas that sadly, go nowhere. For a zombie movie, it is surprisingly lacking in gore and actual tension that a zombie movie should bring. Acting is ok, but nothing remarkable. Most of the movie is too dark to see effectively what is going on. And guns never run out of ammo.

• Jun 28, 2014

An all out Nazi bloodbath, throw in the fact that there zombies and it's one of the best films EVER!!!!

• Dec 17, 2013

Standard horror fare

Standard horror fare

• Nov 23, 2013

War of the Dead (Marko Mäkilaasko, 2011) I was all set to love this movie-a Finnish knock-off of Norway's first, and best, Nazi zombie flick, Død Snø, that also happens to star Invincible's Jouko Ahola. How could you possibly go wrong? Well, in quite a few ways, as it turns out. This is depressing, because War of the Dead wanted to be a better movie than it is, and it almost, but not quite, succeeded. In fact, it might be possible to make a case that Paul Campion's The Devil's Rock, released the same year, is exactly the film War of the Dead wanted to be, but didn't quite get there. Plot: An American platoon, deep in the middle of nowhere (the accents sounded kind of Austrian to me, one synopsis tells me they're in Russia, another one says in the Carpathians-how does that even make sense in WW2?), comes upon a platoon of the enemy, ambushes them, and wipes them out. Everyone's happy. Well, except the guys on the other side of that firefight, they're pretty pissed. So what do they do? Get right back up and start eating the erstwhile victors. Obviously, things are not what they seem in this little corner of the world, and our hapless survivors find themselves tasked with a much more important mission than the simple wiping out of a bunker... Any number of good ideas to be found here, but none of them actually come to fruition. I suspect an overzealous editing hand was involved in at least part of this, as in the last third or thereabouts things get incoherent now and again; all the setup and pacing disappear into action scene after action scene, and it struck me on a number of occasions that there should have been stuff in between the bullets flying and zombies stomping and all that sort of thing. By the end I was wondering if everyone involved hadn't simply given up and decided to release whatever came out of the editing room. A depressing thought, but the only hypothesis that made any sense in my head-at least, it made more sense than the actual movie did. I'd love to see the shooting script to find out what was actually supposed to happen. * 1/2

• Sep 03, 2013

Un bon petit film de zombies nazis.

Un bon petit film de zombies nazis.

• Jun 28, 2013

poor directing and horrible plot. many of the characters were unnecessary not to mention the invincible american who could never die

• May 31, 2013

Very little character development. Lots of gunfire but surprisingly very little gore. Storyline and plot were fairly weak. It felt more like an action movie with zombies rather than a horror movie with zombies. Considering the budget was only $1.8 million, they did okay but if you were expecting a combination of Saving Private Ryan and Dead Snow, this is not it.

• May 08, 2013

79% Here's a new one, tree climbing undead. Mostly forgettable.

79% Here's a new one, tree climbing undead. Mostly forgettable.

• May 05, 2013

This is not top of the class but it is good fun for what it is...for fans of the genre.