War of the Gargantuas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

War of the Gargantuas Reviews

½ January 8, 2017
One of the better Toho Kaiju movies that doesn't star Godzilla.
October 18, 2016
The monsters look original, that's a good point right? I'm having a hard time finding many good things to say about this one. Even as a fan of these kind of Japanese monster movies, this one was a slog. The plot was thin and endlessly restated. And the fact that Russ Tamblyn, yes of West Side Story fame, is n this is just that extra icing on the bizarre cake.
½ June 25, 2016
it is what it is, and Hondo did a great job of delivering it.
October 19, 2015
This is my favorite Kaiju movie of all time. It's both scary and has some of the best Kaiju fights of all time.
August 1, 2014
good solid movie has some scary parts
July 11, 2014
One of the greatest in Toho history! The story of good vs. evil, but with two giant hairy monsters starring as both sides! The effects were great, the pacing was fast, the plot was awesome..... but Russ Tamblyn was absolutely horrible! He showed no emotion whatsoever, even when his partner falls down a cliff, only to be caught by a gargantua! (Sanda, the good one) The American version seemed to overuse stock music and repeat the same theme from Akira Ifukube over and over again. But overall, a great movie for the worst time in Toho history.
½ April 14, 2014
Haven't seen this since I was 8!
February 18, 2014
A Classic Japanese monster family movie.
February 24, 2013
My favorite giant monster movie of all time. The movie has action, terror, and a creative plot.
October 25, 2012
War Of The Gargantuas is alot of fun. I definately recommend this to all monster fans.
July 24, 2012
Another cult classic from Ishiro Honda and Henry G. Saperstein.The special effects, though primitive, are quite a pleasure to behold. It's a quick, fun movie with some touching moments, thrilling monster brawls, and classic music (although many hold that the JSDF march from the Japanese version is superior to the stock track which replaced it in the American edit). Give it a watch!
April 23, 2012
Some decent giant monster fun. It's about what you'd expect.
½ March 18, 2012
Entertaining monster movie. It has some nice characters and great kaiju and is pretty much a classic. Even Brad Pitt mention it on the Oscars. Very enjoyable monster movie.
March 3, 2012
"You still want to wet nurse that monster?" This sequel (if you say so) to Frankenstein Conquers The World opens with a green gargantuan man battling it out with a giant octopus to the catastrophe of an innocent Japanese sailing vessel. From there the green Gargantua heads for land and proceeds to battle it out with a brown Gargantua as Russ Tamblyn's scientist tries to figure out what it all means: brother vs borther...it's a lot like countries vs countries...yeah, sure Russ. If yer in the mood to watch two dudes in rubber suits wrestle each other over model cities than War of the Gargantuas will fit the bill just fine, but if you're looking for something a bit more wacky/zany than stick with Frankenstein. VF.
February 12, 2012
Maybe it just doesn't translate well, but this just didn't appeal to me. As a rule, I enjoy watching the Japanese 'giant monster' flicks, but this just seemed to be trying to walk the fine line between slight comedy, slight moralizing, slight special effects...well, let's leave it at that. There's a brown 'Gargantua'...a human-friendly giant, and a green one (they're brothers?). This wouldn't be much of a movie if they were both good, so the green one is hell-bent on crushing, stomping, and chewing humans (and, after popping a human in it's mouth, spitting out the clothes, which was about the only memorable moment that I remember from this insipid trash). It's been a while since I've seen this, but I believe (as is generally the case) the military can't take out the evil one, so the good (brown) one takes the job. I forget whether they both die or if it's left open-ended. Either way, at least you finally get to see it end.
½ September 25, 2011
Possibly the best non-Godzilla monster bash Toho has ever made! Fun story, great miniatures, and awesome monsters!!! Definitely one of my favorite giant monster movies of all time!
September 7, 2011
Definitely on the lower-end of the giant monsters attack Tokyo spectrum.
May 30, 2011
Campy giant monster movie goodness with the usual awkward dialogue and acting
½ May 2, 2011
This film doesn't hold back any punches as the opening scene first has a giant octopus attack a boat only to get have the Octopus get attacked by a Gargantua. Why? Cause the Gargantua wanted the boat all to himself.
This English language version of Furankenshutain no kaiju: Sanda tai Gaira is an interesting edit that make for a somewhat different film. Though there are mentions to these Gargantua having been grown, this version of the film tries to remove all references to Frankenstein and changes the names of Sanda and Gaira (the two giants) to Brown Gargantua and Green Gargantua. It also tends to give more screen time and focus to Professor Stewart. These aspects actually make sense when you think about it. Having these creatures come from Frankenstein (from an earlier Toho film) might seem silly to some especially if they've never seen the film to which this was supposed to be a sequel.
Where I think the film drastically falls down is in the changing of the music. The music by Akira Ifukube is used in the film but at different times. I feel the original scoring of the Japanese film is much more appropriate.
While I found the look of the Gargantuas a little silly, the film has some great miniatures, a great mix of real military vehicles mixed with remote control versions and plenty of scenes where they mix both miniature with real action/scenery to good effect.
War of the Gargantuas is a schlocky kaiju film... but in the end, isn't that kinda what we like about the films?
March 10, 2011
Rip-snortingly-free-wheeling, lovably-ludicrous Big-Butt Beastie Brouhaha brought to you by the Toho Company, those fine Japanese purveyors of such silly-&-super slapstick-&-slapdash slug-fests as "King Kong vs Godzilla", "Destroy All Monsters", and "Yog, Monster from Space". Herein being the account of two hairily-hirsute hermanos seperated at birth, one growing up an Earth-toned, progressive & pleasant peace-nik living in the mountains of Japan, occasionally saving the lives of blundering Niponese climbers,the other a maniacal, seaweed-green and scaly, mean-spirited marine-marauder wreaking havoc in the Pacific Ocean, indiscriminately munching ship-sailing personnel with reckless abandon. When the two meet, all Hell breaks loose as they engage in a battle of wills, wits, and woolliness, using the always-unfortunate Tokyo as the setting for their Super-Sized Smack-down. Actually a superior effort from the Godzilla guys, with well-designed & delineated creature characters, and some very eerily- effective scenes of monster-mayhem. As usual with these films, the human plot-points are secondary to the action, and the usually-reliable Russ Tamblyn sleepwalks his way through in a lacklustre, catatonic performance.