War of the Worlds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

War of the Worlds Reviews

½ January 3, 2018
Thrilling, but overall a let down.
January 1, 2018
An intense and suspenseful film from the great Steven Spielberg!
December 28, 2017
Despite impressive visuals, it somehow wasn't as good as it should have been.
December 25, 2017
6.7

[Steven Spielberg]
December 22, 2017
I watch at least the first 3rd of this movie at least once a year...because -WOW- is that first third a nail biting scare fest! The rest of the movie is spiked with Spielberg moments (flaming train anyone?) but just don't capture the shock and awe of the opening act...

But damn does this movie start off right...
December 10, 2017
A very good movie for Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise... !!!
½ December 6, 2017
Really bad movie... No story at all...
November 27, 2017
me dicen que esta brutal
½ November 26, 2017
If I hear Dakota fanning scream one more time I'm going to stab myself in the ears.
½ November 17, 2017
The majority of War of the Worlds was exciting and fun to watch with Steven Spielberg's outstanding visual effects, sound effects and brilliantly bringing mean, bad, human blood-sucking aliens to life on the screen as he did ironically with friendly human-loving aliens back in E.T.

Still, there's some major flaws with the movie such as Dakota Fanning's screaming, Dakota Fanning's bitching and yelling and panic attacks and the anti-climactic ending of the movie where the almighty powerful aliens just quickly die out from tiny bacteria.
October 25, 2017
I remember liking this movie in the theaters I haven't seen it since I'm giving it 4 stars from what I remember of it. I liked it at the time I wonder if I'll still like it upon rewatching it.
October 18, 2017
Disappointing that Spielberg would take this H.G. Wells classic and turn it into little more than a 'Tom Cruise' flick. Why not just call it Mission Impossible 7: War of the Worlds starring TOM CRUISE! I think Spielberg was focused on making a 'buck' and not a good movie.
September 30, 2017
Spielberg's disaster/invasion film is far from his standards. Surface level characters and a poor story. Distracting over exposed sky made everything insanely bright.
September 30, 2017
Should be re-titled A Series of Improbable Occurrences. Filmmakers probably thought they were making some kind of profound post 9/11 comment, but ended up with base and grim exploitation instead. Great sound effects though.
September 25, 2017
Easily one of both Spielberg & Cruises worst films. Bad acting & storyline throughout with possibly one of the most anticlimatic endings I've ever seen!
September 19, 2017
War of the Worlds is a great Tom Cruise action/sci-fi movie with impressive direction by Steven Spielberg! The story is scary, interesting and really suspenseful. Spectacular special and visual effects add to the excitement of the movie overall. As an adaption of the book and original film, Steven Spielberg recreated it well.
August 21, 2017
Steven Spielberg's direction is excellent, Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning are fantastic, the visual effects are remarkable, and the story is thrilling.
August 21, 2017
Not my scene with sci-fi, but exciting none-the-less. Good effects.
½ August 16, 2017
Gets better and better with each viewing. By no means a perfect film but some of the best set pieces Spielberg has ever filmed.
August 15, 2017
This film, to me, was more "real" than the original '50s version from my youth. The visceral nature of the sets & effects, the details of the invasion of our cities, and the near-misses of being caught vs barely escaping, are all too-real. Spielberg is an undisputed master at bringing out the edge of realism & terror in the attacks on humanity. I was disturbed by the use of the "blood," as it gave me the creeps. Additionally, the threat of our probable demise was so well-done that I felt the threat within myself, plus fear for my children & grandchildren that it could have happened like that. So dreadful, in fact, that I was glad it was not a long, drawn-out affair. Thank you to the cache of actors & production crew who pulled this off so realistically. And to Mr. Spielberg for pulling this off so well! Kudos!