War of the Worlds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

War of the Worlds Reviews

July 15, 2017
i want to watch it even though i have got it on dvd.
July 12, 2017
Dakota Fanning makes this film. It's action packed, while a bit scary at times. Even though Steven Spielberg tried his best there was something missing in the film.
½ July 11, 2017
It may not be one of Spielberg's best, but War of the Worlds is a rare remake that is faithful to both the original film and its source material. Despite the same Deus Ex Machina ending, it arguably features Tom Cruise's acting performance in a movie. The CGI may not be fantastic by today's standards, but by 2005 standards it's top-notch. Best of all, it actually has the Martians use tripods, instead of the hovercraft from the original movie. Honestly, the only part of the movie I didn't like is when a certain character, who I won't name to avoid spoiling it, shows up at the very end even though there is a 0% chance they actually survived. As a result, instead of a ballsy, cliche-dodging, semi-dark ending, the movie settles for a very cliched happy ending. That aside, this is a very very well-made movie that helped redefine the alien invasion genre.
June 22, 2017
The 2005 version of War of the Worlds is a weak remake that is so much inferior to the original 1953 film. I get what Spielberg was trying to do here and the movie has its moments, but it rarely succeeds as an alien invasion film or as a family drama as it does not contain enough sci-fi thrills and the family drama is not deep enough to carry it through. Its color palette is also pretty hideous and it hurt the movie tremendously.
½ June 18, 2017
Um what? I love tom cruise but what the heck is this? It's really weird and barely a plot
June 15, 2017
The intensity and thrills are undone by one of the most anti-climatic endings ever.
June 9, 2017
I literally do not care what people say about this film. I absolutely love it. Slightly underwhelming ending (only in the way this film did it), but no matter how much I watch it, I cannot get sick of it.
½ June 6, 2017
An incredibly tense and thrilling film anchored by Tom Cruise's performance, War of the Worlds is a thrill ride with a rather ambiguous ending that you won't understand until looking it up later.
½ May 3, 2017
When one of the greatest filmmakers in history makes a science fiction film, which is one of his biggest strengths, you have no choice but to check it out.

War of the Worlds is loosely based on the H.G. Wells novel of the same name, about a father and his children trying to cope with a global alien invasion. There have been so many of these alien invasion films over the years, so it's difficult for any of them to feel fresh and stick out to me. I think the one thing that separates this film from others is that Tom Cruise or any of the other actors aren't playing characters that fight the aliens, or "tripods" as they call them. It only makes up a matter of a few days following the first attack and the immediate aftermath.

Because of that, Cruise is given more to do dramatically than per usual. He gets a few stunts and an action scene or two (because why wouldn't you take advantage of his talent) but it's much more about family than it is about anything else. In that regard, the film works most of the time. Cruise plays Ray Ferrier, father to both Rachel and Robbie. Not to intentionally quote another Cruise movie, but it's really (k)night and day with these kids. Dakota Fanning is perfectly cast as Rachel, a pre-teen who is terrified of the apocalyptic world she now lives in. However, I just couldn't get behind Justin Chatwin's performance and the character of Robbie. There were too many times in which I either felt the character was entirely unnecessary to the plot, or he kept the plot from moving forward in frustrating ways. Why does he all of a sudden feel the need to leave his family and join the Army's fight against the tripods? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Unsurprisingly, Spielberg's visual flare is probably the film's biggest asset. Whether it's the endless amount of long takes, explosive and visceral alien action, or the impressive CGI and green screen work, War of the Worlds is a gorgeous film to look at. If every aspect of the film was as good as the visuals, this could have been quite the adaptation. Bottom line, I like everything visually and some of the performances very much, but the last 20 minutes is a bit of a letdown, as is the constant annoyance of the Robbie character.

+Visuals

+Dakota is magnificent

-Annoying older brother

7.7/10
½ April 30, 2017
Boring remake of a cult classic starring Tom cruise and directed by the former best director ever steven Spielberg. Just everything about this movie for me was just not entertaining, I already knew the ending, it's pretty predictable. Tom cruise was just bad, it felt like he didn't try hard enough and only did this movie for the money because it's all about the money watch Jerry maguire to get that joke. I already forgot about this movie so that's it, pretty forgettable.
April 8, 2017
An amazing film I would highly recommend. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.
March 23, 2017
War of the Worlds (2005) is directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning. It is based on an acclaimed science fiction novel by H.G. Wells. Cruise is a troubled father with some weaknesses...which make him interesting. He is forced to defend and take care of both his son and daughter when Northeast USA (and the world) are invaded by unknown forces. The acting is solid..with a young Fanning acting really well as the daughter with a perky attitude and a cameo by Tim Robbins as a troubled survivor. The camerawork is creative with incredible tracking shots (Spielberg as usual)...although the colour palette is too earthy and dark for my taste. The narrative is haunting and terrifying, and illustrates the depravity of humanity when confronted with crisis..but also the heroics of a troubled father. The ending is a bit anti-climactic and rushed, but still a solid movie all-around. An A- .
March 20, 2017
You would think that taking an epic title & an epic concept would suite Spielberg down to the ground, & I'm sure that many will point out it's relevance in today's post 9/11 society. But when a film focuses on such horrible characters as Cruise, Fanning & Chatwin's it's hard to even warm to the sensational CGI & set pieces.
March 14, 2017
Steven Spielberg's War of the worlds-2/10
March 10, 2017
Interesting start but lack of story development.
February 7, 2017
The first half of this latest remake of this classic story is pretty good, but the second half lets it down. If the second half had been better this would have easily been a 3.5 star film.
½ January 28, 2017
For Speilberg's standards this is basically a horror film. Plenty of blood, gore and general dark gloominess which seems to take precedent over the sci-fi elements which are usually his stock and trade.
½ January 27, 2017
I had forgotten how good this is, great super special effects, story, etc.
Just saw it on tv in 2017 agin. really liked it.
Dakota Fanning
½ January 12, 2017
Nota: 7.7/10 - 3.9/5
January 11, 2017
Watchable, but it probably would've been better without Cruise.