War of the Worlds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

War of the Worlds Reviews

½ August 16, 2017
Gets better and better with each viewing. By no means a perfect film but some of the best set pieces Spielberg has ever filmed.
August 15, 2017
This film, to me, was more "real" than the original '50s version from my youth. The visceral nature of the sets & effects, the details of the invasion of our cities, and the near-misses of being caught vs barely escaping, are all too-real. Spielberg is an undisputed master at bringing out the edge of realism & terror in the attacks on humanity. I was disturbed by the use of the "blood," as it gave me the creeps. Additionally, the threat of our probable demise was so well-done that I felt the threat within myself, plus fear for my children & grandchildren that it could have happened like that. So dreadful, in fact, that I was glad it was not a long, drawn-out affair. Thank you to the cache of actors & production crew who pulled this off so realistically. And to Mr. Spielberg for pulling this off so well! Kudos!
August 10, 2017
War of the Worlds may not be the best Steven Spielberg movie, but it might be the best H.G. Wells movie.
Using the knowledge gained from the mistakes of their 2002 film 'The Time Machine', DreamWorks SKG has figured out the proper way to 'Americanize' an H.G. Wells novel. Instead of dropping key plot points and replacing them with romances or characters portrayed differently from the book, War of the Worlds hits almost all of the points on a checklist for a movie based on the century old novel. Tripods reveal themselves on Earth - Check
A large group of people goes to check them out, leading to the beginning of the chaos - Check
A man must leave everything behind and hang all hopes on reaching a destination - Check.
A crazy man has the idea of starting again, underground and taking out the Martians that way - Check.
And lastly, the man makes it to his destination to discover that the easiest way to defeat the Martians is to simply just survive because they die due to bacteria.
Tom Cruise is always a wonderful and charismatic star, but in this film, we get to see him play a vulnerable and scared father, which is awesome. Dakota Fanning gives a fantastic performance as Rachel, and Justin Chatwin... Well, he's Justin Chatwin. However, he is better in this than he is in most films. This is a truly thrilling feature adaptation of a classic novel that has everything you could ask for. Steven Spielberg at the helm, fantastic and truly frightening sequences that are memorable in every sense of the word, some really great character moments amidst the chaos, a score by John Williams (he's the man), narration by none other than Morgan Freeman, and every good moment from the book including the ferry and the basement scene, and none of the bad ones. As I said, to compare this to other Spielberg films is unfair, as this one isn't even close to his best, but it is a fantastic adaptation. Those who loved the thrill of not knowing what will happen next in the novel will find the same feelings here. It is not to be missed.
August 3, 2017
Intelligent and exciting adaption of the classic H G Well novel. Very much a Tom Cruise movie with added undercurrents of watching a society disintegrate under pressure, possible the ending lacks the power of the rest of the movie but fans of the genre will not be disappointed.
July 27, 2017
Even though I have read of seen the same story a few times before, I really enjoyed sitting throuhg this one!
July 24, 2017
Spielberg's attempt at remaking a classic is resulted in a mixed bag of writing and direction. The performances are fantastic, Cruise is brilliant and works well with the script, his struggles and dynamics with both his children is felt well throughout. Fanning acts way above her age and puts Chatwin to shame in a few sequences, with the latter poorly written and his character direction is incredibly poor. The CGI has aged in places with truly sub-par effects and looks utterly ridiculous and the ending is typical Spielberg with everyone and everything coming together for the better.
July 22, 2017
it is a very interesting movie,it kept my atention all the movie,very good action and drama ,it use very well the idea of alliens invading earth
July 15, 2017
i want to watch it even though i have got it on dvd.
July 12, 2017
Dakota Fanning makes this film. It's action packed, while a bit scary at times. Even though Steven Spielberg tried his best there was something missing in the film.
½ July 11, 2017
It may not be one of Spielberg's best, but War of the Worlds is a rare remake that is faithful to both the original film and its source material. Despite the same Deus Ex Machina ending, it arguably features Tom Cruise's acting performance in a movie. The CGI may not be fantastic by today's standards, but by 2005 standards it's top-notch. Best of all, it actually has the Martians use tripods, instead of the hovercraft from the original movie. Honestly, the only part of the movie I didn't like is when a certain character, who I won't name to avoid spoiling it, shows up at the very end even though there is a 0% chance they actually survived. As a result, instead of a ballsy, cliche-dodging, semi-dark ending, the movie settles for a very cliched happy ending. That aside, this is a very very well-made movie that helped redefine the alien invasion genre.
June 22, 2017
The 2005 version of War of the Worlds is a weak remake that is so much inferior to the original 1953 film. I get what Spielberg was trying to do here and the movie has its moments, but it rarely succeeds as an alien invasion film or as a family drama as it does not contain enough sci-fi thrills and the family drama is not deep enough to carry it through. Its color palette is also pretty hideous and it hurt the movie tremendously.
½ June 18, 2017
Um what? I love tom cruise but what the heck is this? It's really weird and barely a plot
June 15, 2017
The intensity and thrills are undone by one of the most anti-climatic endings ever.
June 9, 2017
I literally do not care what people say about this film. I absolutely love it. Slightly underwhelming ending (only in the way this film did it), but no matter how much I watch it, I cannot get sick of it.
½ June 6, 2017
An incredibly tense and thrilling film anchored by Tom Cruise's performance, War of the Worlds is a thrill ride with a rather ambiguous ending that you won't understand until looking it up later.
½ May 3, 2017
When one of the greatest filmmakers in history makes a science fiction film, which is one of his biggest strengths, you have no choice but to check it out.

War of the Worlds is loosely based on the H.G. Wells novel of the same name, about a father and his children trying to cope with a global alien invasion. There have been so many of these alien invasion films over the years, so it's difficult for any of them to feel fresh and stick out to me. I think the one thing that separates this film from others is that Tom Cruise or any of the other actors aren't playing characters that fight the aliens, or "tripods" as they call them. It only makes up a matter of a few days following the first attack and the immediate aftermath.

Because of that, Cruise is given more to do dramatically than per usual. He gets a few stunts and an action scene or two (because why wouldn't you take advantage of his talent) but it's much more about family than it is about anything else. In that regard, the film works most of the time. Cruise plays Ray Ferrier, father to both Rachel and Robbie. Not to intentionally quote another Cruise movie, but it's really (k)night and day with these kids. Dakota Fanning is perfectly cast as Rachel, a pre-teen who is terrified of the apocalyptic world she now lives in. However, I just couldn't get behind Justin Chatwin's performance and the character of Robbie. There were too many times in which I either felt the character was entirely unnecessary to the plot, or he kept the plot from moving forward in frustrating ways. Why does he all of a sudden feel the need to leave his family and join the Army's fight against the tripods? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Unsurprisingly, Spielberg's visual flare is probably the film's biggest asset. Whether it's the endless amount of long takes, explosive and visceral alien action, or the impressive CGI and green screen work, War of the Worlds is a gorgeous film to look at. If every aspect of the film was as good as the visuals, this could have been quite the adaptation. Bottom line, I like everything visually and some of the performances very much, but the last 20 minutes is a bit of a letdown, as is the constant annoyance of the Robbie character.

+Visuals

+Dakota is magnificent

-Annoying older brother

7.7/10
½ April 30, 2017
Boring remake of a cult classic starring Tom cruise and directed by the former best director ever steven Spielberg. Just everything about this movie for me was just not entertaining, I already knew the ending, it's pretty predictable. Tom cruise was just bad, it felt like he didn't try hard enough and only did this movie for the money because it's all about the money watch Jerry maguire to get that joke. I already forgot about this movie so that's it, pretty forgettable.
April 8, 2017
An amazing film I would highly recommend. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.
March 23, 2017
War of the Worlds (2005) is directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning. It is based on an acclaimed science fiction novel by H.G. Wells. Cruise is a troubled father with some weaknesses...which make him interesting. He is forced to defend and take care of both his son and daughter when Northeast USA (and the world) are invaded by unknown forces. The acting is solid..with a young Fanning acting really well as the daughter with a perky attitude and a cameo by Tim Robbins as a troubled survivor. The camerawork is creative with incredible tracking shots (Spielberg as usual)...although the colour palette is too earthy and dark for my taste. The narrative is haunting and terrifying, and illustrates the depravity of humanity when confronted with crisis..but also the heroics of a troubled father. The ending is a bit anti-climactic and rushed, but still a solid movie all-around. An A- .
March 20, 2017
You would think that taking an epic title & an epic concept would suite Spielberg down to the ground, & I'm sure that many will point out it's relevance in today's post 9/11 society. But when a film focuses on such horrible characters as Cruise, Fanning & Chatwin's it's hard to even warm to the sensational CGI & set pieces.