War of the Worlds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

War of the Worlds Reviews

December 10, 2017
A very good movie for Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise... !!!
½ December 6, 2017
Really bad movie... No story at all...
November 27, 2017
me dicen que esta brutal
½ November 26, 2017
If I hear Dakota fanning scream one more time I'm going to stab myself in the ears.
½ November 17, 2017
The majority of War of the Worlds was exciting and fun to watch with Steven Spielberg's outstanding visual effects, sound effects and brilliantly bringing mean, bad, human blood-sucking aliens to life on the screen as he did ironically with friendly human-loving aliens back in E.T.

Still, there's some major flaws with the movie such as Dakota Fanning's screaming, Dakota Fanning's bitching and yelling and panic attacks and the anti-climactic ending of the movie where the almighty powerful aliens just quickly die out from tiny bacteria.
October 25, 2017
I remember liking this movie in the theaters I haven't seen it since I'm giving it 4 stars from what I remember of it. I liked it at the time I wonder if I'll still like it upon rewatching it.
October 18, 2017
Disappointing that Spielberg would take this H.G. Wells classic and turn it into little more than a 'Tom Cruise' flick. Why not just call it Mission Impossible 7: War of the Worlds starring TOM CRUISE! I think Spielberg was focused on making a 'buck' and not a good movie.
September 30, 2017
Spielberg's disaster/invasion film is far from his standards. Surface level characters and a poor story. Distracting over exposed sky made everything insanely bright.
September 30, 2017
Should be re-titled A Series of Improbable Occurrences. Filmmakers probably thought they were making some kind of profound post 9/11 comment, but ended up with base and grim exploitation instead. Great sound effects though.
September 25, 2017
Easily one of both Spielberg & Cruises worst films. Bad acting & storyline throughout with possibly one of the most anticlimatic endings I've ever seen!
September 19, 2017
War of the Worlds is a great Tom Cruise action/sci-fi movie with impressive direction by Steven Spielberg! The story is scary, interesting and really suspenseful. Spectacular special and visual effects add to the excitement of the movie overall. As an adaption of the book and original film, Steven Spielberg recreated it well.
August 21, 2017
Steven Spielberg's direction is excellent, Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning are fantastic, the visual effects are remarkable, and the story is thrilling.
August 21, 2017
Not my scene with sci-fi, but exciting none-the-less. Good effects.
½ August 16, 2017
Gets better and better with each viewing. By no means a perfect film but some of the best set pieces Spielberg has ever filmed.
August 15, 2017
This film, to me, was more "real" than the original '50s version from my youth. The visceral nature of the sets & effects, the details of the invasion of our cities, and the near-misses of being caught vs barely escaping, are all too-real. Spielberg is an undisputed master at bringing out the edge of realism & terror in the attacks on humanity. I was disturbed by the use of the "blood," as it gave me the creeps. Additionally, the threat of our probable demise was so well-done that I felt the threat within myself, plus fear for my children & grandchildren that it could have happened like that. So dreadful, in fact, that I was glad it was not a long, drawn-out affair. Thank you to the cache of actors & production crew who pulled this off so realistically. And to Mr. Spielberg for pulling this off so well! Kudos!
August 10, 2017
War of the Worlds may not be the best Steven Spielberg movie, but it might be the best H.G. Wells movie.
Using the knowledge gained from the mistakes of their 2002 film 'The Time Machine', DreamWorks SKG has figured out the proper way to 'Americanize' an H.G. Wells novel. Instead of dropping key plot points and replacing them with romances or characters portrayed differently from the book, War of the Worlds hits almost all of the points on a checklist for a movie based on the century old novel. Tripods reveal themselves on Earth - Check
A large group of people goes to check them out, leading to the beginning of the chaos - Check
A man must leave everything behind and hang all hopes on reaching a destination - Check.
A crazy man has the idea of starting again, underground and taking out the Martians that way - Check.
And lastly, the man makes it to his destination to discover that the easiest way to defeat the Martians is to simply just survive because they die due to bacteria.
Tom Cruise is always a wonderful and charismatic star, but in this film, we get to see him play a vulnerable and scared father, which is awesome. Dakota Fanning gives a fantastic performance as Rachel, and Justin Chatwin... Well, he's Justin Chatwin. However, he is better in this than he is in most films. This is a truly thrilling feature adaptation of a classic novel that has everything you could ask for. Steven Spielberg at the helm, fantastic and truly frightening sequences that are memorable in every sense of the word, some really great character moments amidst the chaos, a score by John Williams (he's the man), narration by none other than Morgan Freeman, and every good moment from the book including the ferry and the basement scene, and none of the bad ones. As I said, to compare this to other Spielberg films is unfair, as this one isn't even close to his best, but it is a fantastic adaptation. Those who loved the thrill of not knowing what will happen next in the novel will find the same feelings here. It is not to be missed.
August 3, 2017
Intelligent and exciting adaption of the classic H G Well novel. Very much a Tom Cruise movie with added undercurrents of watching a society disintegrate under pressure, possible the ending lacks the power of the rest of the movie but fans of the genre will not be disappointed.
July 27, 2017
Even though I have read of seen the same story a few times before, I really enjoyed sitting throuhg this one!
July 24, 2017
Spielberg's attempt at remaking a classic is resulted in a mixed bag of writing and direction. The performances are fantastic, Cruise is brilliant and works well with the script, his struggles and dynamics with both his children is felt well throughout. Fanning acts way above her age and puts Chatwin to shame in a few sequences, with the latter poorly written and his character direction is incredibly poor. The CGI has aged in places with truly sub-par effects and looks utterly ridiculous and the ending is typical Spielberg with everyone and everything coming together for the better.
July 22, 2017
it is a very interesting movie,it kept my atention all the movie,very good action and drama ,it use very well the idea of alliens invading earth