War of the Worlds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

War of the Worlds Reviews

July 19, 2016
Visually amazing, but the characters are so unlikable and the majority of the plot so standard, it makes it a bit of a slog to get through. These effects and disaster scenes deserve a better movie to be in.
½ July 19, 2016
War of the worlds, directer genius Steven Spielberg who directed ET, Close encounters of the third kind, The Indiana Jones franchise, Lincoln, bridge of spies, jaws, catch me if you can, Minority report, and much more. Sadly this is not one of my favorite Steven Spielberg films. Coming from a classic radio play written by the late and great Orson Welles. Coming from a play like that gift wrapped into an incredible movie, and Steven Spielberg did not have the right touch to this story. Coming from Tom Cruise the king of stunt acting, and with two nonsense actors I can't even act. Yes I am talking about the kids in the film, they are just simply bland. As it was so good moments in the film, and yet a lot of irritating scenes in film. I would love to see a perfect war the worlds film that's Steven Spielberg would've attended in the first place. This film was just bland and lazy, hurts coming from one of my favorite directors of all time doing that for his franchise of his films. It's just feels like that he was not behind the camera 24 seven. Sadly it hurts me. But the effects are very good, but the writing and the story of the whole movie is just bland.

Grade
6/10
½ July 16, 2016
It still holds up for me.
July 9, 2016
The first time I saw it as a young child, I thought this was a big, loud, thrilling alien invasion film with lots of impressive special effects and terrific action sequences with Tom Cruise in it. But now seeing it as an adult, I realized that this was a horror film about humanity and wars. I found War of the Worlds absolutely terrifying. Not just because the scenes involving aliens are effectively done, but because the implications behind all the destruction and killing, some of which happen between people, reflect our fear and paranoia toward invasion and terrorism. This is a scary and dark film, a cautionary tale disguised as big-budget blockbuster entertainment. It's not one of my favorite Spielberg films in terms of escapism and sheer popcorn entertainment, but it is definitely one of his most mature films. Tense, gripping, visceral, horrifying.
July 6, 2016
I really liked this. It has a lot of human interest but a ton of action.
Film C.
June 26, 2016
The special FX were good, the acting is quite okay but still, you can't go wrong with Spielberg except from Hook.
June 22, 2016
It grew on me but not as good as most alien invasion films, The plot was great and because it's more darker than most films like this and it only adds to it all, My main problem with this film is Dakota Fanning, Her character was so annoying and I was waiting for her to be killed off but we all know kids never die but Tom Cruise was great to watch as he always is.
½ June 16, 2016
Obvious deus ex machina aside, War of the Worlds is an extremely heavy and human disaster film, fueled by very real emotion, poignancy, and fear.
June 10, 2016
its ok until the end.
May 21, 2016
Atmospherical sci-fi with Spielberg flavour all over it.
May 19, 2016
Maybe not one of Spielberg's bests, but War of the Worlds serves up an intense thrilling ride all together.
May 7, 2016
I can't seem to understand why audiences didn't like this excellent adaptation by Spielberg. With brilliant special effects- even by today's standards- and good performances all round, War of the Worlds will be remembered is one of the last great robot apocalypse movies.
May 7, 2016
Critics were certainly being kind with the nearly certified fresh rating on RT. Although it's a spectacle that periodically dabbles with some impressive moments, the movie is lacking as a whole. Moreover, an abrupt ending will have you scratching your head as to what the big fuss was in the first place.
May 6, 2016
Great visuals, and supoorting cast, however, this newer edition can't quite find the footing he desires, and a weaker ending doesn't hold up.
May 4, 2016
amazing film loved it
May 1, 2016
A powerful sound mixing and a creative and inspired Spielberg.
½ April 28, 2016
oh why did dakota shrieked so much, why did u write such bad dialogues, why did u choose such pathetic background music which ruined the effect instead of building it up, why.. WHY!!!
it was set to be a good pic and they managed to ruin it!
½ April 26, 2016
Sometimes it's a good thing to revisit movies that you hated the first time, and that was the case for me with War of the Worlds. I can't remember why it disappointed me so much when I originally saw it in the theater, but I was a bit leery to try again. I still have one significant problem with the film, and that is the fact that I don't really like any of the characters. I find Ray (played by Tom Cruise) to be a very poor father figure who really needs to get his life in order, and his two kids are annoying. What I managed to connect with this time, however, was the story that these characters were walking through. The way that they encounter so much destruction, death, and the decline of humanity is captivating. It's riveting to watch how these characters are forced to do things they never imagined themselves doing in order to survive. What really surprised me, because I didn't remember it, is how much agency Tom Cruise had on the events in the film. My memory was that he just watched things happen and ran the whole time, but there are several scenes when he makes aggressive choices in order to fight back and keep his family alive. Still, there is an awful lot of luck involved in the whole film, and that did bother me a little that he dodged hundreds of "bullets." The most impressive aspect of War of the Worlds is the special effects. I think they hold up remarkably well even a decade later, and put to shame what many modern films deliver. I have a new found appreciation for this film. I still think it's lesser Spielberg, but it's certainly not among his worst films (which I would have said before re-watching it.)
½ April 24, 2016
At times this movie is a little slow but its an alien invasion story told in a captivating way. Tom Cruise is excellent and there are some memorably suspenseful moments. However what lets the movie down is its ubrupt finish which leaves a sour taste in the mouth and is totally unsatisfying and the annoying son with his unrealistic actions. Overall its still an entertaining movie and a solid action sci-fi