War-Gods of the Deep - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

War-Gods of the Deep Reviews

½ March 26, 2017
Not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I enjoyed the film.
January 3, 2016
so so bad it's good campy fun
September 26, 2015
Fun fluff with Price inspired by a line of a Poe poem. Some over-acting and bad rubber suites mar this a bit, but still worth a look. It may remind you of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (1954) given the under-water gear for the humans.
May 15, 2015
Campy but not much fun.
½ January 26, 2014
Slow and dull, the characters don't do much and the plot is thin and exhausting. There isn't very much memorable going on, and even the small use of creatures is lackluster. It has a few neat sci-fi elements, but is overall stale and forgettable.
July 23, 2013
Fantastic title for a film (the War-Gods one) but alas the film can't live up to it. The 60's saw so many films in this genre, these colourful fantasy tales which tend to involve mysterious worlds, lands or cities, the genre was flooded!. But its so very clear that this film was...how shall I put this...a complete copy/rip off of the Disney classic '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea'.

The plot is so flipping stupid, it really does feel like they are stretching the boundaries of artistic license within the realms of fantasy with this one. On the coast of Cornwall (a county on the far south west tip of the United Kingdom) stands a mansion, a mansion which has stood for along time, but when an American turns up he conveniently discovers some secret passages that eventually lead to a whole under the sea city...as you do.

Within this city/world of undersea caves, lives Vincent Price and his scurvy crew of shipmates. They have all been down there for centuries because somehow there is some kind of oxygen/gas imbalance down there caused by the volcano or something. So basically they are all stuck down there because if they reemerge they will age rapidly and die.

So basically the whole film is about the two main male characters delving deep into this undersea world to try and rescue the damsel in distress. Yep she was kidnapped by the dastardly Price because he thinks she is his long lost wife or something, oh and Price also controls these humanoid 'Creature from the Black Lagoon' type errr...creatures, somehow. Oh! and I almost forgot, the whole undersea world is gonna be destroyed by a big undersea volcano which is due to erupt, there's always a volcano due to erupt in these films.

The plot makes no sense whatsoever, we don't know why Price's character believes this woman is his long lost wife or why he wants her. No explanation for the gillmen, no real clue about Price's character accept he used to be some captain from centuries ago who smuggled stuff. We know how they got trapped in the undersea city but odd how no one else managed to find it also. I might add we only see this city from a distance, Price, his men and the heroes seem to be in some caves overlooking the city, we never actually venture into it or see any of its inhabitants, if any are left.

Almost the entire film is spent down in these undersea caves watching Price pace around in his natty sea captain attire whilst he explains tonnes of plot exposition. Nothing else actually happens! we do eventually get a battle sequence in the sea when everybody dons '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea' diving suits. Dunno how they got away with that, its so obviously copyright infringement.

But this sequence must go down as one of the most dull uninteresting 'action' sequences ever. Watching people lumber around very very slowly on the seafloor, obviously no dialog, no clue who is who, no clue what's going on, the odd mug shot of the actors in their diving helmets all accompanied by an uninspiring musical score. This went on for about ten minutes!! talk about filler!.

This film really does feel badly written and badly executed. Clearly trying to capitalize on the Nemo adventure from Disney with that traditional period look and virtually copying every other idea. The stella cast can't save the film at all, its nice listening to Price talk but even that isn't enough. David Tomlinson has obviously been stuck in there again to try and capitalize on his past Disney fame.

It sounds awesome but that's far from the truth I'm afraid, very disappointing adventure film with absolutely no adventure in it!. The best part of the entire film is the brief sequence where Price's character reaches the surface and instantly begins to age and wither away, reduced to a prune-like mummy as his words echo and fade one last time.
October 17, 2012
Enjoyable underwater adventure with Vincent Price giving the film presence and David Tomlinson's chicken for humour.
September 30, 2012
Watchable as he always is, even the great Vincent Price can't do much to save this rather soggy piece of 1960s nonsense. Claiming to have been inspired by a poem by Edgar Allen Poe it is a rather threadbare story about a madman ruling an undersea kingdom who kidnaps a woman who resembles his dead wife. There are some poor extras forced to dress up in ill fitting rubber suits and poke spears at fish while pretending to be some kind of amphibious sub-human race. David Tomlinson spends his time carrying a chicken around for what I'm guessing is supposed to be comedic effect and there's a a rather underwhelming volcanic finale. Not really worth the trouble but I was just too rough to turn the tv over.
December 6, 2010
The story is supposed to be based on a poem by Poe, but it's very loosely based on a very short poem, so it's really a story they came up with for the movie. A lot of it is low budget and somewhat stupid, but it's also a cool adventure movie with Price as the villain. I enjoyed it.
½ December 10, 2009
A strange one in the "Poe" series-this is actually one of the films that was so loosely connected to Poe that it is essentially in name only. Price is the leader of an underwater civilization when some unfortunate boaters get trapped there. From here on out everything goes on as expected-this is one of the weaker efforts.
October 17, 2006
War-Gods of the Deep (aka "City Under the Sea")
Starring: Tab Hunter, Vincent Price, David Tomlinson, and Susan Hart
Director: Jacques Tourneur

When beautiful Jill (Hart) is abducted by a strange creature, the odd trio of a dashing young geologist (Hunter) and an eccentric artist (Tomlinson) and his pet chicken set out to rescue her. In the process, they find themselves in the remnants of a long-lost civilization where The Captain (Price) rules over a band of cut-throats and an army of monstrous gill-men.

This is another one of American-International's loose adaptations of an Edgar Allen Poe work, and it's one of the better ones. The steam-punk vibes of the ancient pumps and the diving suits left by whoever originally built the city are very cool looking. Price and his immortal pirates make for interesting foils to the heroic, square-jawed good-guy of Hunter, and Tomlinson does a fine turn as the comic relief. And Hart... well, Hart looks great in a low-cut dress, and one certainly understands why everyone wants her.

This film is a fun "lost civilization" yarn that presents all the standards of that genre. It might have rated a 7 if not for an protracted, muddled and very, very boring underwater "chase scene", where our heroes stumble around in dive suits as the bad guys and gill-men give chase. It's a scene that goes on and on and on, and I doubt it was even all that thrilling in 1965. If the film was trimmed by three or four minutes (all taken from there), it would be vastly improved.