The Warrior and the Sorceress Reviews

• Mar 01, 2015

A good sword fighting movie staring David Carradine.

A good sword fighting movie staring David Carradine.

• Aug 20, 2014

If you were expecting anything exciting, you will most likely be disappointed. The story is basically Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo filtered through a cliché fantasy setting. I should point out that for a movie entitled "The Warrior and the Sorceress", there's no magic at all. Not even the eponymous sorceress uses any magic, which is baffling because she's a sorceress. Wouldn't you expect a sorceress to use magic? Anyway, there's no character I could like at all, and that's because they're all mediocre. The acting is terrible, mainly because the actors don't seem very enthusiastic about being in this movie at all. The film looks okay, but it's nothing like what the poster would have you believe. The setting is rather blatantly similar to Yojimbo, and they did a terrible job at hiding it. The fight scenes are okay, but they're not spectacular or entertaining. The best fight scene in the entire film is the final fight at the end of the film, and even that could have been better. This is clearly a case of a film that sounded good on paper, but when I actually saw it, I thought it could have been much better.

• Jun 24, 2013

First off, this movie is better if you turn off the audio and listen to Rush while drinking and watching it with a buddy. It is a pretty tedious rip-off otherwise. Secondly, that is clearly not David Carradine's body on the cover. Overall, this is nothing more than a Conan rip-off that does not fare near as well as some of the other Conan rip-offs from the same period.

• May 09, 2013

Fantasy rip-off of A Fistful of Dollars, most notable in that lead actress Maria Socas plays the whole film topless. A guilty pleasure for the awful acting and effects.

• Oct 27, 2012

Sword and sorcery film where the standard female attire might just make a Hooters waitress feel overdressed. A drifter rescues a princess while playing two feuding warlords living only meters apart against each other as they fight over a well.

• Feb 16, 2012

David Carradine calls attention to this otherwise ordinary sword and sorcery epic that notably steals its plot from a couple much better films. Evidence of budget restraints for wardrobe; Maria Socas plays the entire film topless.

• Apr 27, 2011

"In honor of my new sword, I've ordered special entertainment!" Imagine a sci-fi retelling of Yojimbo with Roger Corman spirit and production value. Can't wait, right? In high school I desperately ate up any sword and sandal flick that might even hint at glimmer of the greatness that was Conan The Barbarian. Movies like Deathstalker and Barbarian Queen, but usually, those cheesefests sorely disappointed. I wish I had discovered Warrior and the Sorceress back in the day, but I'll take what I can get now. Wall to wall nudity with a lead actress who doesn't appear to own a top, and silly kung fu swordplay really do make this flick a must see for exploitation fans. VF.

• Dec 30, 2010

• Dec 01, 2010

What can you say about a sword & sorcery rip off of "Yojimbo" with tons of gratuitous nudity and David Carradine? I thought so.

• Nov 22, 2010

Monday, November 22, 2010 (1984) The Warrior And The Princess FANTASY/ ACTION Again, another movie with a familiar plot device derived from what people saw from Akira Kurosawa's masterpiece "Yojimbo"! "Last Man Standing", "War" and the best of the bunch "A Fistful of Dollars" except this one has two warring groups fighting over a water well with an apocalype desert setting! Watching this film is like something what low budget king Roger Cormon would do because of the nudity and the fake sword fighting! One of the contradictions the movie has made was the fact that although Carradine possessed a sword that could slice down an anvil, that upon using it afterward acted like any other sword instead of slicing the other swords in half it connected with makes absolutely no sense whatsoever! 1.5 out of 4