Warriors of the Rainbow: Seediq Bale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Warriors of the Rainbow: Seediq Bale Reviews

December 13, 2015
Action packed intense movie, the dramatized historical episode based on an indigenous head hunting tribe makes for a brutal as well as scenic watch, the cinematography is beautiful and some of the emotional sequences are hauntingly shocking, a mix of Samurai Bushido meeting Braveheart.
On reading about the historical facts of the events, I came across an equally shocking incident which really should have been the actual conclusion for the movie.
½ November 13, 2015
Another 1 split into 2 pieces.
Part I is slightly better, whilst part II pales actually.
Overall is still overlong & exhausting however.
½ October 18, 2015
Un très bon film taïwannais à saveure historique.
½ October 11, 2015
Taiwanese version of Braveheart/Dances with Wolves/Avatar. This violent and heart-wrenching film is an entertaining and mostly-faithful portrayal of the historical Wushe incident during the Japanese colonization of Taiwan. The huge plus for me was the use of the Taiwanese Aboriginal Seediq language throughout the film which added much authenticity in a similar manner to Fast Runner, Apocalypto and Ten Canoes.
September 26, 2015
Excellent movie, idiots like Stephen Holden, who are from a cowardice society cannot appreciate the struggle of forced occupation of a country's native people
½ April 20, 2015
I've only watched the international version and I think that is enough. There is no reason to drag out to 4 hours with a lot of disputable events. The international version is much more historically accurate. Only complaint is the battle scenes. We're talking about WW2 Japanese military, one of the finest army of its day. They wouldn't run around like a bunch of cannon fodders.
April 2, 2015
Extraordinary Asian movie. Every gore / slasher fans shoud watch this !
November 23, 2014
Demasiado larga sin poder llenar las expectativas; pero sin lugar a dudas una historia la cual VER.
September 26, 2014
Long, violent, depressing and epic. Warriors of the Rainbow is 270 minutes of war that echoes the likes of films such as Braveheart. If you like historical epics, then you owe it to yourself to seek out this incredibly ambitious film. It sometimes falls short of it's goals, but when something is reaching this high thats forgivable.
½ September 23, 2014
Did not expect this movie to be as good as it was. If you like war movies that don't glorify either side winning, and really showcase the real implications of war this is a good one. closest comparison I can think of would be Letters from Iwo Jima
August 30, 2014
Aside from the super cheesy CGI and special effects, it was a decent move with lots of action
July 16, 2014
based on true story VG epic drama
May 29, 2014
81%
Saw this on 29/5/14
Warriors of the rainbow is a good action film and it's visuals are good for a Taiwanese film. The story is not so bad, so are the battle sequences scattered all over the film. The story is not that detailed even after having a detailed 2 and a half hours running time. The film doesn't drag and the important thing is that it shows good and bad on both sides. There are scenes in the blood sacrifice where the Seediq Bale kill the families including the children of the Japanese soldiers and the Japanese in the end leave the families of the warriors alive. The film's locations are impressive and it's a good watch.
May 26, 2014
I watched it twice back to back...simply amazing...
½ February 1, 2014
Definitely one of the best war movies I've ever saw..
December 17, 2013
Quality film that tells a tale of a Japanese imperialism. As the Japanese attempt to "civilize" the Seediq people, the unsettled feeling of not belonging and having lost their true identity as a hunter gatherer society causes them to rise up. Worthwhile atypical asian cinema.
½ December 15, 2013
Known that the movie is too long to split as 2, but I watched one only. are there different versions?
November 13, 2013
Epic movie..really well done. Beautifully filmed -- Avatar coming to life in the real world. Certainly as violent as any movie ever made, but done in a way that it did not seem out of place with all the action. I am thankful that this story has been told, and told well.
½ October 20, 2013
Did not see this one coming; Warriors of the Rainbow was a fantastic slice of tragic Taiwanese history. As usual, the Japanese are horrifically barbaric tyrants and this time they've set their eyes on Taiwan and her indigenous people. We follow Mouna Rudo through twenty five years of his life resisting the iron boot of Japan. We experience his tragedies, the tragedies of the lives he creates, the growth of his legacy through his children, their children, and their wives and parents. There is so much to be seen here and I would recommend this in a heartbeat. An emotionally resonant piece of cinema that falters but stands tall amongst its peers.
October 13, 2013