Wasp - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wasp Reviews

July 31, 2015
A raw and powerful short film about a young woman struggling against responsibility and economic reality. The sequence the title refers to is particularly harrowing. Now I have to seek out "Fish Tank".
½ September 17, 2011
Great short by Andrea Arnold of Fish Tank fame.
½ November 10, 2010
I liked this even more than Fish Tank, mostly for the exceptional on-hand camera, and its even greater intensity.
October 5, 2010
very short film with lots of potential but not enough time. It's about a scummy irresponsible single mother who risks having all sorts of trouble land on her and her kids just to go on a date with a sketchy bloke. It would be a great film if it were an hour longer but it does give you enough information to imagine various outcomes. It's not really a story in it's own right though.
July 29, 2010
A great short film, you can already see Andrea Arnolds skill at capturing emotion and character here.
June 22, 2010
really neat little short film
½ April 28, 2010
Fraught. uncomfortable and heartbraking. Estate life in Britain as only they know it. Arnold is a goddess. Unbelievable debut short which fully deserved its Oscar win.
March 6, 2010
Really good short film. This was included on the UK release of Fish Tank, so I was curious to see something else by the same person who directed that. Also pretty gritty and follows a single mum living in a housing estate with her four young kids. Similar themes of desperation, and really well acted. I only wish it was longer so I could have seen what happened after the pair got home!
March 2, 2010
WON for best live action short
½ February 21, 2010
An incredibly poignant little film surrounding a single mother living in complete deprivation and squalor on a very run down housing estate in Kent.
Barely able to feed herself and her four small children she reaches breaking point when invited on a date with an ex boyfriend.
Desperate not to miss out on this opportunity she lies to him that she's looking after the kids as a favour for a friend, having nowhere to turn she agrees to meet him later at the pub.
She literally "dumps" the kids behind the pub and tells them to keep themselves to themselves while she goes off to enjoy herself, the guilt of the situation gets too much but still she ignores their hungry pleas.
It is not until the arrival of a wasp does it really strike home what she has done...
½ October 15, 2009
Really good. A gritty and realistic portrait of working class British life, here shown against the background of the scummy side of London.

This short film is horribly intense. So many moments in such a short film that make you feel so involved in the film. So many moments when you want to look away in fear of what may happen next, even if it never does. You feel emptathy for the mother but are appalled at how we see her with her kids. Yet we can imagine that the life she allows her children to live in is all she knew as a child when being brought up in such a bad area of Britain and isn't really to blame, Society is. Afterall, we know she lobes her children, shame she isn't a fit to be a mother.

When you look at this film, it isn't one you would think would win an Oscar. yet it did. it it truly deserved it. It won Best Short Film and it was a truly deserved win.

Wasp overflows with gritty realism. The look, the acting, the screenplay, it is realistic. When you watch it, you could be watching a documentary. Adrea Arnold understands her characters and portrays them in a suiting light. She understands the area, and portrays that in a suiting light. She understands the struggles of life and portrays it through this narrative. It is a film that is fantastically made.

Watch this short film. You won't regret it.
February 6, 2009
A nice short film which portrays realistic accounts of major parts of England. Nathalie Press gives a decent enough performance as the mother of four, struggling to get along, seeking attention from the lead male David, played by typical Danny Dyer. Even though the cinematography is decent, I found it difficult to see how this won an Oscar. Some parts are lacking, and although there are humorous moments (David unable to start his car), the story only just about gets along as it is a short film.
½ February 6, 2009
pretty horrifying at times.
December 4, 2008
An interesting short film
March 27, 2008
brilliant brilliant brilliant short film. the children are amazing, as is the lead. simplistic, realistic, & poignant.
½ March 19, 2008
This short is on the Red Road DVD. The feature drags a bit, but is worth renting just for this short, I would say!
February 29, 2008
Best short film ever made. The acting was that real at first i thought it was a documentary.
January 25, 2008
What a heartbreaking short film. The mother's parenting skills reminded me of Britney Spears.
January 16, 2008
A miserable little movie, but amazingly so. Plus, cheers for introducing me to my new boyfriend, Danny Dyer.
December 4, 2007
A terrifically powerful, heart wrenching ultimately fantastic short film. Great direction from Andrea Arnold coupled with some excellent performances all round, with special mention going to the more-than-competant child actors, make this a superbly grim realistic film that offers more than many feature length films 4 times as long.