The Watcher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Watcher Reviews

½ December 23, 2016
Reeves does a lame job, kinda funny. Was engaging story however
August 28, 2016
It was a decent movie. Reeves has never been a favorite of mine, but Spader always makes a so-so movie better.
½ October 17, 2015
That was a ridiculously nail-biting thriller, the ending was kind of like wtf, but it made sense. I would have preferred if there was an interview section. I really liked this film and I was very immersed into the plot. This is a solid epic thriller / suspense slasher murder mystery film.
October 5, 2015
It was okay, slow at first but finally pulled itself together at the end.
½ July 5, 2015
The Watcher lacks tension, thrills, or believability, especially in Keanu Reeves' preposterous role as a serial killer.
½ June 18, 2015
Better than nothing.
June 1, 2015
Spader can not save the tedious thriller though he tries,oh how he tries.
½ February 7, 2015
Reeves dancing to Rob Zombie's Dragula! Priceless!
½ January 24, 2015
Before James Spader is Red.
½ January 17, 2015
The Watcher is a fine thriller with good performances of James Spader and Keanu Reeves, but sometimes fail to bring suspense and clever twists, some typical qualities of this type of movies.
December 13, 2014
Good movie. The Watcher is not a very original or very "good" movie, but it is a suspenseful, stylish, and well-acted movie. It has a couple original ideas, and it's still entertaining, with great performances from Spader and Reeves.
½ November 9, 2014
A dull, insipid and predictable thriller without a tiny sparkle of true inspiration for its conception.
½ October 29, 2014
Terrible cat-and-mouse thriller about a serial killer toying with a former FBI agent from his past. Only notable for Keanu Reeves playing the killer. He's awful, by the way.
½ October 28, 2014
The Watcher isn't an awful movie. It actually has its moments and a few particular scenes in the middle and towards the end are quite thrilling, keeping me on the edge of my seat. Keanu Reeves as the villain is a little odd. There are moments where he seems perfect for the role and a quite intimidating while other times it seems bland and nothing special. It has a straight to DVD look to the film, but that can be fine for those that don't mind.

What I feel is the biggest flaw of the movie is the pacing and structure of it. I think they could have done without the psychiatrist scenes, because they slow the film to a crawl and they really don't add as much depth to the main character they probably intended to do. It does lead up to a good scene in an elevator where our hero doesn't know the killer is in there with him, but overall, the psychiatrist scenes don't do much. As for the structure of the film, it keeps skipping back and forth from a particular flashback to the present which also slows down the pacing. I feel they could have had the whole flashback first before starting in the present, because nothing major it revealed in the flashbacks that we don't already know and there is no major twist that is revealed in the flashbacks that would change the ending.
September 22, 2014
Great movie. Keanu Reeves is great as a villian too.
August 31, 2014
Formulaic cliché that even the leads couldn't save.

1.8.14
½ August 22, 2014
I hated the style of this film. The story itself wouldn't be bad, but it is presented as a B movie thriller. (First and only viewing - 8/4/2014)
August 5, 2014
The very unlikeable serial killer taunts the character named Campbell by following this retired jaded lawman to Chicago. Griffin photographs his prospects alive & mails police these photos & gives the officers until 9:00 to locate the victim or he continues his murdering rampage by strangling young women with piano wire. Intense & well-played by cast members.
July 10, 2014
James Spader jagt Keanu Reeves! Obwohl die zwei Darsteller eine völlig verkehrte Rolle spielen, bleibt der Film unter dem Durchschnitt. Zu Klischeehaft sind die Personen, zu Schablonenhaft die Geschichte. Der Film ist eigentlich nur gut, wegen den Schauspielern. Sonst kann man den Film vergessen!
June 23, 2014
I love this movie. James Spader did a awesome job being a cop