Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comic Reviews

June 17, 2016
A great way to know the source material for those who don't like to read comics or graphic novels.
½ June 20, 2014
If not for the questionable female voicing, this would have been a trans-media reissue masterpiece. A lesson on morality, humanity and existence.
½ May 24, 2014
Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comic is exactly what it says it is and little else. It's not a movie, but more of a comic in motion, sort of. The animation is a little tough to take in, especially when you're expecting something along the lines of a cartoon perhaps, but after a while you become inured to it (at least I did). Probably the biggest and most major flaw that went into this project is the fact that all of the female characters are voiced by men. I laughed out loud at first, but since the graphic novel is so good, you forget about it after a while. It's still something that should have been done right from the get-go, but what can you do? As is, it's a very good way to read and/or watch the graphic novel without actually having to dig it out and read it. It's also six to seven hours long, so I'd recommend sticking it on while playing a video game or doing a jigsaw puzzle.
February 8, 2014
Having this motion comic really brings a darker effect to the novel than that of actually reading it.
September 30, 2013
Being not much of a comic fan, I had not idea what to expect from this. Many people I have known from different circles have been comic fans and they seemed to be routinely surprised of my non-interest (I guess because of my other interests as well as my personality [nerdiness?]). After doing a bit of research I came to be interested in the story-line of Watchmen. So, I knew I wanted to see the live-action film Watchmen, but wanted to have more of an idea of what I was going to see. (Without ever reading X-Men, Batman or Superman comics, I at least had a basic knowledge of their series before seeing the films.) Basically the story is about a disbanded group of super heroes who no longer communicate with one another. One is killed, so there is speculation that the other former super-heroes may also be in harm's way. This whole movie (its a actually a series of 25 min or so long episodes) is voiced by one guy (doing women and kid's voices as well), and not done very well either. Visually, it is images from the comic series with very limited motion (I don't know if this is unique in its display, but I think it would be more appreciated by a comic fan rather than a novice such as myself). Overall, the story is intriguing, but moves much too slowly for my taste - I do have hope for the film that should be out on DVD soon.
June 6, 2013
This is mostly for Watchmen completionists. The narrator is a middle-aged man who tries to do all the voices for every character, so sometimes he misses completely on female voices. Occasionally you might get confused in conversations as to which character is speaking. The animation is beautiful, though, and it really brings a new perspective to the Watchmen universe.
Overall, it's a good find if you get it bundled with the Ultimate Cut of the Watchmen live-action film like I did. It's not quite up to Red Son standards, but it's worth watching for Watchmen nuts.
March 26, 2013
Entertaining as the story of the Watchmen is great, one voice actor filling all the roles seems to be a little lazy and could have been improved but the presentation is excellent. While the animation is sufficient, fans of Watchmen should enjoy this faithful retelling of a classic story.
½ February 28, 2013
It's decent for a motion comic, but overall it's the story and characters that really stand out. The animation isn't too great, and was it too much trouble for them to find a female voice actor? Jeeze, any scene with a female character felt weird because of the voices. It's a long story arch, and some chapters are a bit slow and dull, but all together it's a great little tale. I'm not too happy with the ending, but it is what it is. Motion comics seem a bit lazy, so I would recommend reading the actual graphic novel, but this is still a decent watch.
February 7, 2013
This is basically like an audiobook version of the comic. If you don't have time, or if you don't like the format of comics, this a decent substitute. Every chapter has a 30 minute "episode" so you can watch at your own pace. The only bad thing is that all the voices are the same guy so that it gets distracting when he plays a woman. I would pick the book over this, but i think this a good option.
July 22, 2012
Good animation, hurt by having only one actor play everyone, also they omit some scenes from the Graphic Novel
March 10, 2012
Its really cool how they made the comic strips movie and the soundtrack should have been used in the movie.
November 6, 2011
It's long, but it's very engrossing in a good way. Very philosophical and better explained than the other movie. If you liked Watchmen and want to see it in it's glorious long-form, then this movie is for you!
July 20, 2011
Fantastic idea. wish there were more graphic novels brought to life using original elements.
June 26, 2011
It was good but sometimes annoying when you have a dude speaking the words of a woman
June 22, 2011
Surprisingly super voice acting.
May 19, 2011
So long that maybe you should read the graphic novel instead
March 26, 2011
if you liked the movie. You'll love the motion comic.
April 19, 2010
Produced like classic radio programs. A single skilled voice actor leads you through one of the most revered tales in comic history. The animation is subtle and effective; you won't be disappointed.
November 7, 2009
The motion comic for watchmen was a great experience, aside from the distraction of one voice actor (who voiced the male and female characters)

It very much brings the comic to life, and i highly reccomend it to anyone who has read the graphic novel.

I found it best to watch it in parts, it would be extremely butt numbing to sit through the whole thing in one viewing.