Watchmen: Tales of the Black Freighter and Under the Hood Reviews

• Jun 05, 2017

Aside from the original dark story, this short film had nothing to offer.

Aside from the original dark story, this short film had nothing to offer.

• Jun 08, 2016

Very dark and disturbing, but extremely faithful to the source material!

Very dark and disturbing, but extremely faithful to the source material!

• May 21, 2014

I'm afraid I don't have much to say about Watchmen: Tales of the Black Freighter. That's not to say that I hated it or anything. It's just that I didn't really care about it one way or another. It's well-animated and all, but I'm just not really into Watchmen all that much. I've read the original comic and enjoyed it, but I'm just not that into the adaptations of it. I understand that it was edited back into the Ultimate version of the film, which I haven't seen yet, but I think on its own, it's not really that much to care about. The same goes for the Under the Hood segment. They really should have had these on the Ultimate Edition ONLY and not bothered with releasing them separately, but maybe that's just me.

• Mar 04, 2014

just a terrific animated short film let alone 'companion piece'--Nice little slice of alan moore!!

• Nov 27, 2013

good companion piece to 'watchmen'

good companion piece to 'watchmen'

• Oct 17, 2013

I don't get it why this was released separately when this is included in the Watchmen movie. I thought there's another story for the Black Freighter but it's the same. Is just a marketing scheme? You can't really appreciate this animation without the movie as this was intended as additional sustenance for the whole Watchmen story. Along with the film you can understand more about this comicbook.

• Mar 16, 2013

Never thought the "Black Freighter" story in Watchmen was very good and this animated short confirmed it. Companion piece "Under the Hood" was far more interesting.

• Mar 02, 2013

Black Freighter doesn't have anything to do with the Watchman story, but it's still neat to see that little comic-within-the-comic get it's own animated adaption, especially since it was left out of the live action film (beyond the Ultimate cut). The animation is nice, and the mood is gritty. Under the Hood is pretty interesting too, mimicking an 80's show, and it even includes some retro-styled commercials. Plus it gives us a look at the first generation super heroes, which is a fun little treat. Pretty decent package for Watchmen fans, but there's not a lot there for the general audience to get in with.

• Feb 07, 2013

Watching the Black Freighter short on its own is kind of like watching a movie not yet finished. In the comic and Ultimate Cut it adds a new layer of depth to the story, on its own it just feels like a cash in. And the Under the Hood short is now sort of outdated because of the amazing Minutemen comic series. But is good to see more Carla Gugino without that old age make up.

• Jan 30, 2013