Water - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Water Reviews

January 6, 2013
Love these movies that teach you about the injustices of other cultures
½ December 20, 2012
I've now seen Water and Earth, and if it's fair to extrapolate from those I'd say Deepa Mehta is an aesthetic genius. The movies are beautiful, intense, and passionate, and leave you sort of awestruck by the end.
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage.
November 16, 2012
this was a surprisingly emotive film. it was shot beautifully, but in terms of plot/character it was somewhat lacking. the character of narayan in particular comes to mind, as one dimensional and hollow. the film also didn't seem to have real direction and the events that happened seemed arbitrary and for that reason couldn't keep our attention - making the film feel long and boring. having said this though, the film did a wonderful job of capturing certain moments of deep emotion, no associated with a particular character, but just with seeing how terrible life was for the widows and feeling their deep pain. the film also excelled thematically with a message that rings true even in today's southern asia, which is a near-impossible feat given that the film achieved its theme with almost no help from plot or character.
November 10, 2012
This story of the abandoned widows in India will rip your heart and shock you to the core. So beautifully lensed, told and acted, it has to be one of the best imports from India.
½ October 1, 2012
Absolutely touching, enraging, and thought provoking. I really felt for the girls and wanted to do something for them. Characters were all good. Male lead had a wonderful line about their experience being an issue of money disguised as religion.
½ October 1, 2012
very nice and different movie
September 18, 2012
Heart breaking, hopeful, heart breaking.
½ September 8, 2012
An illuminating and melancholy story about old world traditions. The cinematography is extraordinary and the acting superb. Where the film falls short is in exploring the characters in depth, treating us to very little of the backstory that brought the widows to the ashram. But although I was left wishing there has been more, the film is no doubt an engrossing story exploring the relegation of women under the guise of religious purity.

"Our Holy Books say, a wife is part of her husband while he's alive. And when our husbands die, God help us, a part of us also dies. Right? So how can a half-dead woman feel pain?"
"Because she's half alive."
July 31, 2012
July 30, 2012
???????????????
July 29, 2012
Powerfully dramatic and beautifully shot.
July 17, 2012
An amazing look into the lives of Indian women who are widows and how they are forced to live in their culture where they are deemed untouchables. The relationships amongst the women is deeply probed, their faith, their acceptance, and the greed of those who would take advantage of them is breathtaking. Incredible cinematography of urban Indian communities and the river where so much daily life takes place. Everyone should watch this movie.
½ May 29, 2012
Slow pace. Another heinous religious practice.
April 16, 2012
One of my Top Ten. Beautifully shot, Beautifully acted.
April 7, 2012
A solemn reflection on a fucked up tradition in India.
February 29, 2012
The movie MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA wanted to be. There's so much heart in it.
February 7, 2012
Very interesting, different and ulitmately sad. Shot beautifully with some exceptional performances. A true Indian masterpiece, I'll definitely have to see Earth and Fire.
December 19, 2011
One of the most beautifully poetic and tragic films I've ever seen... Fucking sweet film.
December 7, 2011
A beautiful and harrowing film, giving you much to think and talk about after seeing it. Mehta makes a profound statement, and entertains at the same time.