Reviews

• Apr 12, 2017

One of the funniest Japanese films ever! I relly had a good time with this film. Diretor Shinobu Yaguchi usually makes the best out of all the leads in his movies.

• Sep 24, 2013

I remember watching this movie in my Japanese class. It remains an unusual plot: 5 teenage boys trying to become synchronized swimmers to increase interest in swimming and is eventually trained by a quirky, Miyagi-ish trainer. In saying this, they've actually managed to pull such an inane concept work, and is a comedy that - strangely enough - must be seen to be believed.

• Sep 19, 2011

If you think Jamaican National Bobsled Team and Full Monty weren't crazy enough: mix them, you'll obtain the MALE Japanese synchro team! Sunny, carefree laughs like you didn't have from the times of In & Out: chibi, kawaii and hilarious!

• Sanjaya & Super Reviewer
    Jul 18, 2011

Ridiculously funny...!!! I can't count how many laughs I have while watching this movie because it was hilarious and yes it is ridiculous.. Maybe it is not the best movie you've ever seen, but surely it is one of the funniest movie you'll ever see..

• Jun 11, 2011

Waterboys is enjoyable not only because of its peculiar premise, but also due to its mostly unexpected but mostly lighthearted humor that can appeal to just about anyone.

• Nov 24, 2010

This movie was awesome! I loved it! It was so cute and funny!! I loved all the characters even the minor ones like the mama-san!! I wanna watch it again! :D :D

• Nov 16, 2010

Comme souvent, on n'hà (C)site pas à pà (C)ter les plombs au Japon, où tout semble possible. Du fait, voici une à (C)quipe de danse aquatique masculine... gros craquage, on reste parfois bouche bà (C)e (comme les personnages...) devant tant de folie. La scène finale dans la piscine est complètement dà (C)jantà (C)e. Finallement un assez bon film, à l'humour pas si gras.

• Sep 11, 2010

A bizarre comedy film with the very entertaining humor...

A bizarre comedy film with the very entertaining humor...

• Jul 05, 2010

If you enjoy quirky Japanese culture, you will enjoy this film. It's got all the classic soft-pop, cutesy, feel-good comedic Japanese elements: a quirky group of high school students, an underdog's fight to make it to the top, boy meets girl, and ridiculous off the wall jokes. The story starts with a young student and his band of friends preparing for their high school festival. The rag tag group of guys are on the swim team, but since they are all terrible at it their coach refuses to teach them. In his place an energetic young teacher comes in to take over, but since she doesn't know anything about coaching a swim team, she decides to make a synchronized swim team instead. Soon after she suddenly realizes she's pregnant and has to take maternity leave, and the abandoned boys are left feeling even more hopeless. Their leader Suzuki tries to raise their spirits, he is determined not to be a failure anymore. He finds himself enlisting the aid of a seaworld trainer who ends up giving them a Mr. Miyagi style instruction. The awkward and cute antics are a lot of fun to watch. There are moments when the film moves along a little slowly, but overall there are a lot of good laughs and enough quirky humor to make anyone who feels like they are sinking, swim. It's a feel good movie, that doesn't leave you feeling too drippy about seeing it.

• May 13, 2010

I'm honestly not surprised this doesn't have any votes or anything. This movie is absolutely amazing. Several classmates compared it to the american Napoleon Dynamite. The fact that it's about a bunch of school boys tricked into a synchro. swimming league by a cute teacher makes it even funnier. The whole time they're debating learning before becoming determined to do so, with a few interesting twists and turns along the way. It kept me laughing, which is all I ask for in a good comedy.