Waterworld - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Waterworld Reviews

½ October 7, 2015
If this PoS were only two hours long, it would be one of those "bad enough to be good" movies like "Godzilla Meets [Whatever]' IOW, you could have a good hoot watching it. But, at three hours it's sooo...pretentious that it's just lame.
½ September 19, 2015
It's far from excellent, but it's definitely underrated
½ July 29, 2015
Waterworld is a weak and dull sci-fi epic with a shallow plot
½ July 28, 2015
the concept is pretty dull ( at least from the general perspective) a movie that has to do with global warming is used so much over the years this however not only did it first but did it very good.
July 9, 2015
72%
Saw this on 9/7/15
Waterworld has a terrific work of cinematography(at least when ever they have that boat on screen) and it's sci-fi elements are intriguing at times, but ultimately it becomes too silly. Kevin Costner( unlikely playing an antihero) shares good chemistry with Tina Majorino and Jeanne Tripplehorn gives one of her finest performances, however Dennis Hooper simply stinks.
June 23, 2015
5 FUKING STARZ. This movie was awesome. Let's face it, it as flippin cik, and h8rs are just shitting on it b/c...they h8, that's what they do. Like, I don't think anyone should be shitting on this movie the way people do, especially considering the movie films that get rave reviews like ALL of the Marvel movies, which're dope, don't get me wrong, it's just that I can't say that any given Marvel movie is great and then say that Waterworld was anything less than great. One thing that Waterworld gave us a look at a very dystopian future that results from, probably, environmental destruction, and I think that's pretty on point today, and Waterworld did it b4 it was cool!!! I think there's like some social political shit going on too, which's kinda cik. Also, the action in this movie, like, I think it was pretty damn well done, like, I think the ~$175million cost was well spent.
June 18, 2015
I originally liked this movie better having seen it a bit younger but having recently seeing mad max 2 I see it more as a rip off of that movie. Loner in a wasteland (one desert one ocean) fighting for oil/gas and the enemy dresses like bikers. Big difference is it launched Mel Gibson's career and tanked you Kevin Costner's for years.
June 17, 2015
When it was released, it was the most expensive movie ever made, but it failed so badly that it wound up being a waste of whatever grand ideas the writers had. To be completely fair, this actually looks like it could have been a decent movie, but I can't help but think that it's basically Mad Max if there was water everywhere and nobody thought to drink. That aside, nothing about the plot makes any sense, and with no explanation given for much of the plot, you're going to wonder what's even happening, why it's happening, and why you should even care. The action scenes are the best part of the movie, and they're actually quite decent. While the numerous flashy explosions might be pleasing to the eye, the rest of the film is hindered by forgettable characters, a story that doesn't much sense, bland colours, and Kevin Costner on a bad acting day. Costner's character, no matter what happens, is also nearly impossible to sympathize with, and the film seems to present more and more reasons not to like him, or any of the other characters for that matter. If Waterworld had more of a competent cast, a story that was at least remotely intelligent, and if the film-makers handled their ideas with greater care, then this movie could actually have been decent, but instead, we get an extravagant flop that they may as well bury with Altantis.
June 16, 2015
This movie was way underrated. Suffered as part of the anti Kevin Coster campaign by the critics. A good Sci-fi without all the unnecessary CGI that goes into movies these days.
June 9, 2015
Bought a copy for my SCIFI coleection always liked this movie,but then of course I grew up with hoky B&W scifi films.
May 28, 2015
It's about 45 minutes too long. If they cut out as much it might be pretty good. I'd give the live show at Universal Studios 5/5 stars though.
May 23, 2015
Critics really hate Kevin Costner eh? This and the Postman will be the two films from Costner that I'll always remember. I rather liked this film a lot. It is a good mix of excitement and serenity. There are some part of this film that puts you at ease in the awe and wonder of the massiveness of our oceans.
May 14, 2015
Pretty much the water version of mad max. Classic!
½ April 22, 2015
A rather poor man's Road Warrior on the water......silly but it has it's moments.
April 10, 2015
The first post apocalyptic movie I have probably ever seen that convinced me. I'm not saying is super, but at least is sonething better than the various The Road or similar to it.
April 5, 2015
Reteaming with his ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES director, Kevin Costner stars in a post-apocalyptic thriller set far in the future, in which Earth is submerged underwater due to the polar ice caps melting. While there is a slight subtext about global warming and pollution, WATERWORLD is mostly an action star vehicle for Costner (and his massive ego). As far as big budget action/sci-fi goes, this film isn't too bad, though. The production values are fairly high, special/visual effects are well-done, and the acting is mostly above par. However, the biggest hurdle to enjoying the film is getting past how utterly ridiculous the science is. If you can do that, this film can be enjoyed for its visual spectacle and "silliness" factor. And there is quite a lot of silliness. The fashion sense of people who live in this water-covered world tends toward "Mad Max" levels of absurdity. However, no one is more absurd than the "Smokers," the WATERWORLD equivalent of biker gangs who steal and plunder, use copious amounts of oil and, of course, smoke cigarettes...and often all at the same time. Dennis Hopper plays their leader and is yet another great over-the-top villain in his resume. My only quibble is that he's mostly absent for the middle part of the film. But even beyond that, even past the "science," the script just isn't that good. It did a decent job of setting up this world, even if it does require major suspension of disbelief, but it resorts to too many cliches to drive it forward. The worst of these is using the "child in peril" trope as the major conflict to be resolved in the third act. Gene Siskel didn't care for it, and neither do I. Ultimately, when compared to other post-apocalyptic films, or even Kevin Costner's own work, WATERWORLD doesn't hold up too well. Still, it is an entertaining action flick as long as you check your brain at the door.
½ March 27, 2015
This is one of the few.
½ March 2, 2015
Might have flopped at the boxoffice all those years ago but this is a good film,its just madmax on water lots of post apocalyptic mayhem well worth watching if not seen before also on netflix.
March 2, 2015
Silly movie with lots of laugh out loud stupidity and wooden acting by Costner
½ February 9, 2015
Under rated- Very good film. It is not the best but it is a very good film a bit chessy at time but amazing