Waterworld - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Waterworld Reviews

December 29, 2015
Fuck it, I like Waterworld!
½ December 13, 2015
So bad it's...kind of good?
½ December 13, 2015
I sometimes wonder if I am subconsiously going against the hype or if the hype is usually wrong. I heard that this was a bad film. It really isn't, it's a very impressive film. OK, the decision to cast Kevin Costner as the hero was always going to be questioned but he didn't do badly at all. Perhaps the real failure of this film was only financial as it was so expensive to make. The box-office figures are 99% down to marketing and 1% down to how good the film is and I will never judge a movie on it's profit.
November 29, 2015
A fun adventure movie with a straightforward plot, interesting characters, and an epic soundtrack from John Newton Howard. After reading reviews I went into this movie with low expectations but was pleasantly surprised to really enjoy it. I will definitely be holding on to this DVD and watching it again in the future. If you are looking for a bit of escapism this will do the trick.
November 27, 2015
I don't know why people hate this movie so much, I love it
November 22, 2015
Waterworld should have been Mad Max on the sea, but the edge is missing, and somehow the dirty look of everything seems a bit weird. Worth seeing once or twice for the action scenes alone though, and Kevin Costner's performance is terrific as always.
½ November 21, 2015
good sci-fi yarn when this was being filmed in Hawaii, I was there & was amazed each day they had 2 completely clean the beach and filming area was interesting watching the making of even better than and extras on the DVD.
November 10, 2015
This film was one of the worst films I have ever seen. Everything about this movie fails. Acting, scripting, effects, story, sound, etc. This film is known as being one of the gray box office bombs. At the time it was made it was the most expensive film ever made. The fact that there was even money spent on this film is mind blowing. STAY AWAY FROM WATERWORLD SAVE YOURSELF THE DISAPPOINTMENT
October 9, 2015
Waterworld has some good action scenes but a lot of bad writing. As a whole however, it was just so-so.
½ October 7, 2015
If this PoS were only two hours long, it would be one of those "bad enough to be good" movies like "Godzilla Meets [Whatever]' IOW, you could have a good hoot watching it. But, at three hours it's sooo...pretentious that it's just lame.
½ September 19, 2015
It's far from excellent, but it's definitely underrated
½ July 29, 2015
Waterworld is a weak and dull sci-fi epic with a shallow plot
½ July 28, 2015
the concept is pretty dull ( at least from the general perspective) a movie that has to do with global warming is used so much over the years this however not only did it first but did it very good.
July 9, 2015
72%
Saw this on 9/7/15
Waterworld has a terrific work of cinematography(at least when ever they have that boat on screen) and it's sci-fi elements are intriguing at times, but ultimately it becomes too silly. Kevin Costner( unlikely playing an antihero) shares good chemistry with Tina Majorino and Jeanne Tripplehorn gives one of her finest performances, however Dennis Hooper simply stinks.
June 23, 2015
5 FUKING STARZ. This movie was awesome. Let's face it, it as flippin cik, and h8rs are just shitting on it b/c...they h8, that's what they do. Like, I don't think anyone should be shitting on this movie the way people do, especially considering the movie films that get rave reviews like ALL of the Marvel movies, which're dope, don't get me wrong, it's just that I can't say that any given Marvel movie is great and then say that Waterworld was anything less than great. One thing that Waterworld gave us a look at a very dystopian future that results from, probably, environmental destruction, and I think that's pretty on point today, and Waterworld did it b4 it was cool!!! I think there's like some social political shit going on too, which's kinda cik. Also, the action in this movie, like, I think it was pretty damn well done, like, I think the ~$175million cost was well spent.
June 18, 2015
I originally liked this movie better having seen it a bit younger but having recently seeing mad max 2 I see it more as a rip off of that movie. Loner in a wasteland (one desert one ocean) fighting for oil/gas and the enemy dresses like bikers. Big difference is it launched Mel Gibson's career and tanked you Kevin Costner's for years.
June 17, 2015
When it was released, it was the most expensive movie ever made, but it failed so badly that it wound up being a waste of whatever grand ideas the writers had. To be completely fair, this actually looks like it could have been a decent movie, but I can't help but think that it's basically Mad Max if there was water everywhere and nobody thought to drink. That aside, nothing about the plot makes any sense, and with no explanation given for much of the plot, you're going to wonder what's even happening, why it's happening, and why you should even care. The action scenes are the best part of the movie, and they're actually quite decent. While the numerous flashy explosions might be pleasing to the eye, the rest of the film is hindered by forgettable characters, a story that doesn't much sense, bland colours, and Kevin Costner on a bad acting day. Costner's character, no matter what happens, is also nearly impossible to sympathize with, and the film seems to present more and more reasons not to like him, or any of the other characters for that matter. If Waterworld had more of a competent cast, a story that was at least remotely intelligent, and if the film-makers handled their ideas with greater care, then this movie could actually have been decent, but instead, we get an extravagant flop that they may as well bury with Altantis.
June 16, 2015
This movie was way underrated. Suffered as part of the anti Kevin Coster campaign by the critics. A good Sci-fi without all the unnecessary CGI that goes into movies these days.
June 9, 2015
Bought a copy for my SCIFI coleection always liked this movie,but then of course I grew up with hoky B&W scifi films.
May 28, 2015
It's about 45 minutes too long. If they cut out as much it might be pretty good. I'd give the live show at Universal Studios 5/5 stars though.