Waxwork II: Lost in Time - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Waxwork II: Lost in Time Reviews

November 12, 2016
Totally lame follow up. There's not even a waxwork! And they just go into full camp/goofy territory. A couple kind of interesting parodies sprinkled throughout, like Alien and the Haunting, but once they get stuck in Midevil times it's a total bore.
April 8, 2015
Still cheesy and intriguing at once, this one differs from horror and into black comedy, sacrificing what could have been scary ideas.
½ July 15, 2014
They really made this movie look like Evil Dead 2. Other than that, it was not as good as the original and didn't feel like as if it was a waxwork movie. The only credit that I give to this movie was that they continued right where the first one left off. And thats always great to see.
January 3, 2014
Not too much to say about this movie, other than it has loads of bad acting, but is very fun! Bruce Campbell really makes the movie, and the random, silly gore just ads to the campiness. Good concept and an interesting venture from the first movie's plot. I really enjoyed it! You're sure to laugh!
August 6, 2013
Crazy and uneven, the movie serves as a low-budget tribute to popular classics. Parodying films like Alien, Dawn of the Dead, Nosferatu, Godzilla, and much more, it makes itself quite memorable. Not to mention several familiar faces, like Bruce Campbell and David Carradine. The plot is a mess though, and most of the film is in the medieval ages, which is boring compared to the rest of the time-jumps. The characters aren't too great and the overall story is thin. It is worth watching for the cheesy effects and nods to other movies though.
July 11, 2013
Class movie, very tongue in cheek!
February 18, 2013
Not saying its the worst movie ever just it just not that good
January 12, 2013
Sequel to the fabulously fantastical 1988 film, this starts where the previous ended. A murderous hand (ala Evil Dead 2) survives the inferno and goes on to spray mustard in a gal's face (oh, and kill her daddy). Opening a time-portal, the two surviving kids travel from one time-place to another. Basically the same premise as the first film, with a different framing story. A number of hilariously graphic events befall them in these alternate realities which include send-ups to Dawn of the Dead, The Raven, Alien, Frankenstein, Jack the Ripper, Godzilla, Nosferatu, and several others. Some are better than others with a few dragging on. Bruce Campbell and David Caradine both star (guess the director got them from his previous film Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat)! With its comedy and gore, this is a sequel as good as its predecessor in almost every way!
October 28, 2012
a tale of alternative realities, what bothered me was some padding out of the last part of the movie in medieval times. there is a connection to the first movie which actually is what helps this story develop.
and a fun cameo by bruce campbell harkening back to his evil dead days.
½ October 23, 2012
I was so impressed with Waxwork one that I spent no time checking out Waxwork II and holy fuck was that a mistake. The plot makes not one bit of sense, there is no Waxworks in this entire movie, & the female lead was recast. All bad bad things. The one shining spot was Bruce Campbell's cameo as a scientist in a ghost story scene that is up on a crucifix while crows pick away at his exposed ribs. Bruce quips and gets pelted with things as only he can. You can youtube that scene and save yourself the time and not watch the rest of this shit stick. And the F+ was only because of the Bruce cameo.
½ October 2, 2012
I don't think movies knew what it wanted to be. It starts off like a huge Evil Dead 2 ripoff. It then starts to become just like the first Waxwork movie where they're going from scene to scene with no real overlying plot or reason for it. Each scene they jump to has almost nothing to do with the one prior or the one that follows. First it's horror, then it's sci-fi, then it's a swashbuckler and a medieval movie that reminded me more of something like A Kid in King Arthur's Court (that's an insult btw). I love movies that cross many genres of film, but this one doesn't really even string it together. Each time period could be it's own movie. It's really closer to an anthology type of movie than a coherent story. It's slightly better than something like Dungeonmaster (or Ragewar), but that movie was more of an experiment. I think if Waxwork 2 were more like something along the lines of Stay Tuned (never thought I'd bring that movie up as a positive) then I think it would have been much better. I liked the ending sequence where Zach Galligan is sword fighting through many different time periods and that's what I think this movie needed that something like Stay Tuned had: A threat that follows the protagonist through his journey.
August 23, 2012
great movie it reminds me my childhood :)
June 28, 2012
I love this movie, horror comedy at its very best, some surprising cameos and the icing on the cake Bruce Campbell, what more could you want
March 6, 2012
If you really liked the first one probably should check it out, but not as good. It does have a pretty good scene with Bruce Campbell though.
August 31, 2011
I found this movie to be as good, or possibly even better than the first. I mean it had it's stupid moments, but so what? I very much enjoyed how they were able to make a generally good sequel off of a cliffhanger that I thought was really dumb.
½ August 28, 2011
I think it's funny that there isn't even a waxwork in this one! Also it defies logic at every turn and yet it's still a really fun sequel with lots of references to old horror movies. Bruce Campbell's scene is priceless! Also look for Drew Barrymore as a vampire's victim.
½ June 15, 2011
Egy nagyon kellemes meglepet√ (C)sre bukkantam. A Waxwork 2 egy igazi filmrajong√≥knak k√ (C)sz√≠tett horror-kom√ (C)dia, amiben a fŇ'hŇ's√∂k ugr√°lva a dimenzi√≥kapuba k√ 1/4l√∂nb√∂zŇ' filmekben tal√°lj√°k magukat. Tisztelegnek a 2001, Alien, The Haunting, Frankenstein √ (C)s m√°s kultikus kedvencek elŇ'tt meglehetŇ'sen sz√≥rakoztat√≥ m√≥don. R√°ad√°sk√ (C)nt egy rak√°s h√≠res karaktersz√≠n√ (C)sz is r√°nk kacsint a nosztalgia utaz√°son.
½ April 4, 2011
Quite the Hommage film in a time when there wasnt many of them. fun inocent. simple and just a bit of cheesy.
March 5, 2011
The late '80s and early '90s was a period of great decline for the horror film. New movies and sequels that fans were extremely excited about took YEARS to find distribution. The biggest example of this was Warlock - the film was completely made, the trailer was at the beginning of several horror releases, and it finally came out, uh -3 YEARS LATER. So, it seemed like every single movie I was reading about in Fangoria at the time were films I'd never get to see. I was looking forward to Waxwork II. The photos of the monsters looked awesome. It ended up not coming out until I was in high school.

And it's a shame really because the sequel is very well-made, especially for such a low-budget. They even replaced the frumpy, lead actress who survived the original with a hot super-model! Zach Galligan emerges as a true hero in this, into almost epic proportions. The blood and gore is over-the-top ridiculous, just the way I like it. I know people's heads being crushed into a huge burst of blood makes no sense, but neither does the travelling-through-time premise that puts them in fictional events from old horror movies. As if they were part of our actual timeline. Uh, so what? Who cares. The movie is too awesome to nitpick at stupid shit like that.

Bruce Campbell is in it! Yes, BRUCE CAMPBELL IS IN IT! He's in the black & white segment about The Haunting, and he adds some GREAT comedy to it. The supermodel travels to a great homage to Alien, complete with Ripley's mullet and a really fucking cool looking monster! Zach Galligan appears in John Travolta's Saturday Night Fever outfit in a great Dawn of the Dead mall zombie fight sequence! Jack the Ripper! Frankenstein! Nosferatu! Even Godzilla! This movie has EVERYTHING!

I wouldn't call this a spoof like everyone else. Like I said, it's a great homage to the classics. And it was obviously made by someone who's as big a fan of horror as I am. So, NICE!

And Zach Galligan becoming a time warrior in this is probably not as cool as Dr. Who. But it's a bit better than Time Bandits. Why? Because Time Bandits isn't a horror movie.

Horror movies > All other movies.

Make sure to catch that brain flying at you from a crushed head. If the guy from Gremlins can do it, so can you.
October 19, 2010
This sequel lost a point for me by losing Deborah Foreman as Galligan's love interest, just because I really dug her in the first film.

Basically an excuse to parody/homage numerous films and genres, it does have a few fun appearances from Marina Sirtis and Bruce Campbell, so that's something to look forward to.

Rental? Sure, finish out the set, ya completist!