Waxwork II: Lost in Time - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Waxwork II: Lost in Time Reviews

March 5, 2011
The late '80s and early '90s was a period of great decline for the horror film. New movies and sequels that fans were extremely excited about took YEARS to find distribution. The biggest example of this was Warlock - the film was completely made, the trailer was at the beginning of several horror releases, and it finally came out, uh -3 YEARS LATER. So, it seemed like every single movie I was reading about in Fangoria at the time were films I'd never get to see. I was looking forward to Waxwork II. The photos of the monsters looked awesome. It ended up not coming out until I was in high school.

And it's a shame really because the sequel is very well-made, especially for such a low-budget. They even replaced the frumpy, lead actress who survived the original with a hot super-model! Zach Galligan emerges as a true hero in this, into almost epic proportions. The blood and gore is over-the-top ridiculous, just the way I like it. I know people's heads being crushed into a huge burst of blood makes no sense, but neither does the travelling-through-time premise that puts them in fictional events from old horror movies. As if they were part of our actual timeline. Uh, so what? Who cares. The movie is too awesome to nitpick at stupid shit like that.

Bruce Campbell is in it! Yes, BRUCE CAMPBELL IS IN IT! He's in the black & white segment about The Haunting, and he adds some GREAT comedy to it. The supermodel travels to a great homage to Alien, complete with Ripley's mullet and a really fucking cool looking monster! Zach Galligan appears in John Travolta's Saturday Night Fever outfit in a great Dawn of the Dead mall zombie fight sequence! Jack the Ripper! Frankenstein! Nosferatu! Even Godzilla! This movie has EVERYTHING!

I wouldn't call this a spoof like everyone else. Like I said, it's a great homage to the classics. And it was obviously made by someone who's as big a fan of horror as I am. So, NICE!

And Zach Galligan becoming a time warrior in this is probably not as cool as Dr. Who. But it's a bit better than Time Bandits. Why? Because Time Bandits isn't a horror movie.

Horror movies > All other movies.

Make sure to catch that brain flying at you from a crushed head. If the guy from Gremlins can do it, so can you.
October 19, 2010
This sequel lost a point for me by losing Deborah Foreman as Galligan's love interest, just because I really dug her in the first film.

Basically an excuse to parody/homage numerous films and genres, it does have a few fun appearances from Marina Sirtis and Bruce Campbell, so that's something to look forward to.

Rental? Sure, finish out the set, ya completist!
September 26, 2010
Watched it for the great Bruce Campbell, which his parts are good. However never gets over the cheesiness or able to overcome the small budget to be entertaining.
September 19, 2010
Follows on immediatly from the 1st movie, though its a diffrent actress and galligan has much longer hair! This is alot more spoofy then the 1st movie with the 2 leads bouncing around time(or dimensions) trying to prove that the woman didnt kill her step father. Im not sure how they ever though going around time will ever do that but they do it anyway.
Hell it doesnt matter its still quite a fun movie in a goofy way. Not really sure who its aimed at though? it has really childish comedy but some actual really good gore as well?
The best thing really is spotting the cameo's as there's quite a few people popping up. Bruce campbell steals the show though in his 5 mins!!
½ August 17, 2010
First half i really enjoyed then it went all 'the chosen one' and it lost me. Shame but i still enjoyed the little nods to horror classics such as 'The haunting' and the cameos. Watchable but not as good as the first (surprisingly)
August 13, 2010
I don't have much to say about Waxwork II--it follows the same pattern as the first one except now there are only two main characters who jump from one horror/sci-fi parody to another: The Haunting, Aliens, etc. all make appearances. While the first film functioned sort of like a slasher film because the characters were killed by these various alternate dimension scenarios, the second film only has two characters, so you never really get the same sense of dread and horror from the scenarios. A Bruce Campbell cameo does little to save the film, which ends up being a random work of parody and farce stitched together with an even thinner overall story than the first film.
½ May 28, 2010
I really enjoyed this. They haven't done something this crazy since the evil dead series. What I mean is, Evil Dead was more of a horror film and then Army Of Darkness was a comedy action film. Same goes for this. The first was more horror like and this was like a comedic adventure. Zach Galligan was pretty good again. The new girl they got to replace the old one was pretty bad. But the cheesiness from the film made up for it. Plus there was a great performance in one scene by Bruce Campbell and you have to enjoy that.
½ October 21, 2009
Just like the 1st....Something to watch
September 11, 2009
I don't have much to say about Waxwork II--it follows the same pattern as the first one except now there are only two main characters who jump from one horror/sci-fi parody to another: The Haunting, Aliens, etc. all make appearances. While the first film functioned sort of like a slasher film because the characters were killed by these various alternate dimension scenarios, the second film only has two characters, so you never really get the same sense of dread and horror from the scenarios. A Bruce Campbell cameo does little to save the film, which ends up being a random work of parody and farce stiched together with an even thinner overall story than the first film.
September 7, 2009
It was good but I wouldn't want to watch it again
August 19, 2009
A fun, gory comedy thats self aware of its cheesyness and crappyness which makes it slightly more enjoyable than the first. Bruce Cambell cameo helps this movie alot btw.
½ August 16, 2009
I loved this movie it covers all the B-movie areas. From mad scientist to aliens in space. From ghosts to zombies. As we follow our heroes through time, it never gets dull. Recommend to everyone, also you should check the first one out too.
August 10, 2009
This movie has nothing to do with the waxwork in the first movie..I enjoyed the horror movie spoofs but that didn't save this movie from being terrible.
July 15, 2009
Drags a little and not quite as good as the first but it's still great fun. Very "Army of Darkness."
½ July 13, 2009
Waxwork II: Lost in Time (1993) -- [3.0] -- A possessed severed-hand is the impetus for another anthology movie that pays direct homage to a string of horror classics including THE HAUNTING, ALIEN, FRANKENSTEIN, and others. The script meanders more haphazardly than the first movie, losing me well before the sweet mercy of the closing credits.
½ July 6, 2009
It was cool seeing David Carradine and Bruce Campbell in it.. It was pretty entertaining.
½ April 11, 2009
Not as good as the original or as fun but I will always love waxwork for it's love for other horror movies.
½ April 10, 2009
Even more cheesy than the original dont know why its called waxwork cuz it really as nothing to do with that nor time travel, its more a tale through fiction of books and movies, still quite entertaining and passes a hour or so
March 6, 2009
A B-movie in the true sense of the word. The time-travelling plot is really just an excuse to shoe-horn in a bunch of sequences that parody specific movies or genres. It's complete hokum but not in a particularly bad way and it certainly doesn't take itself seriously. Arguably better than 99% of the dull horror remakes that crop up on such a regular basis these days.