Waxwork - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Waxwork Reviews

½ November 23, 2016
Waxwork is a horror comedy about a group of teenagers who go into a wax museum, only to be magically made a part of the exhibits and never heard from again. The movie cleverly squeezes so many horror movie moments into it that it's instantly enjoyable. You have werewolves, vampires, zombies, and even Marquis de Sade on display, literally. It's not so much scary as it fun, sort of in the vein of something like Creepshow. Even though it does have some moments where there's some genuine suspense and horror to it, there's just no way that you can take any of it seriously. It's just a fun little movie that doesn't try to be anything more than what it is. Look no further than John Rhys Davies turning into a werewolf. Need I say more?
November 12, 2016
Great concept. It hasn't all aged the best, but it's still lots of fun. Absolutely love the climax. Cabin in the Woods before cabin in the Woods.
½ May 15, 2016
Like other wax museum based horror films, that are a variety of monsters, but what I think worked quite well for this film is that when a hapless victim fall into one of the various waxworks scenes, it becomes kind of a short film that's a mini-mummy movie, or a mini-werewolf movie, or whatever classic horror story that might be featured in a wax museum, climaxing if an entertaining monster mash-up. The film also features a stronger than usual cast for a cheapie 80s horror films, which included current familiar faces of the time, like Mihaly 'Michu' Meszaros as the creepy waxworks greeter, Zach "Gremlins" Galligan, Dana "Twin Peaks" Ashbrook, Michelle "Blame it on Rio" Johnson, John "Raider of the Lost Ark" Rhys-Davies, Miles "Ator the Fighting Eagle" O'Keeffe, Clare "Kelly Fox from 'Coach'" Carey, and Deborah "Valley Girl" Foreman (who I always kind of had a crush on) and some more respectable old school actors past their prime like David "Time Bandits" Warner and Patrick "The Avengers" Macnee. And you even get Kane "Jason Voorhees" Hodder, who did stunt work for the movie in an uncredited role as Frankenstein's monster.
½ May 10, 2016
fucking awful. worst movie of all time.
½ July 30, 2015
This film evolves good laughs.
May 29, 2015
(56%)
A rather silly, yet entertaining comic horror that offers more than its fair share of cheap laughs and a quite large amounts of blood and gore. The thin plot and half ideas may have better suited a short, but if it's a variety in monsters you want then this has a good number featured in small sub-plots, though as usual with these things some are better than others while none are actually very good. There's a few famous faces popping up here and there, a good dose of quality throughout, and the direction has the feel that it was done by someone who actually cared. Overall a worthy, though not essential light-hearted sit for any 1980's horror fan.
½ April 8, 2015
A parody of itself with with good and bad rolling into one becoming a cheesy oddball of a flick.
August 14, 2014
Group of friends attend a private showing of the neighbourhood wax museum where onlookers enter an alternate world when they cross over the barrier to the display. Liked the premise but never bought into the diversions of humour in the first half. Second half played more straight and improved as a result. Several classic horror characters are brought in for individual scenes, including the Mummy, the Werewolf,etc.
April 12, 2014
Caught this on Netflix tonight. I get the impression if I was reviewing this back in the 80's it would of been worthy of a couple more stars but unfortunately this is 2014... So looking back at a movie like this equals bad acting and pure corniness. The plus side is the 80's vibe and music which I get very nostalgic about. Add to that the fact that the concept of the movie is quite good in it's own right. All in all a 4/10.
February 12, 2014
This "comedy of terrors" is more terrible than terrifying. A group of six students visit a new local wax museum where the lifelike figures of Dracula, the Wolfman, and the Mummy need only victims (the students) to complete the display. Film starts off on the wrong foot by straining for laughs. Likewise, the characters initially are quite unlikable except Deborah Foreman, who (for me) still carries the stain of starring in the dreadful romantic comedy "My Chauffeur". Had a chance to be decent but fell a bit short.
January 31, 2014
80's teen scream horror cheesefest. As corny as they come and I kind of enjoyed it.
January 3, 2014
This movie has always been one of my favorite eighties movies. I love the eighties feel it has to it and I really like the plot. I recently purchased this movie after finding it in a discount bin. The acting does leave something to be desired. However, I think the story line more than makes up for it. The special effects are cheesy, compared to todays standards. Considering the time period, its still a pretty decent film. It is definitely worth watching. As long as you keep in mind, it was made in the eighties. You might find it interesting if your into low budget.
September 10, 2013
"Waxwork" is a silly but mostly enjoyable throwback horror film that harkens back to two of the best era the genre has ever known, the 1930's and 1940's classic monster movie and the 1980's where make-up artists actually crafted special effects rather than putting them together via a computer. It's not a great film, but it is good fun most of the way, showing a healthy respect for the films of the past the way most modern horror films would never dream of doing.

Granted, some of the make-up, especially the werwolf, seem simple and cheap, but they were also clearly lovingly and painstakingly created by the extensive effects team. I'll take that over lazy CGI any day of the week.

Writer/director Anthony Hickox would hone his craft and become a decent B-movie maker, but the pacing in his debut feature is spotty at best. It's really his imagination as the screenwriter that shines in this. And even though there are a lot of great homages to classic films of yesteryear, this doesn't shy away from the grislier aspects of the genre.

The bright, young cast is appealing, and the epic fight that concludes it is marvelous despite (or maybe because of) the clunky choreography and clumsy camerawork. There's plenty to like in "Waxwork" despite all the obvious flaws, but I mostly admired it because its ambition is clearly larger than its budget. It's good old fashioned fun that was evidently made with great love and affection that helps you to overlook the lax pacing and familiar story.
September 8, 2013
totally bizarre and weird but funny in a weird way too
September 6, 2013
To be fair, it's not good enough for the cult following it has. Still, David Warner has a few good lines so not all bad
½ September 3, 2013
Cheesy 80's remake of Mystery of the Wax Museum. It's more a camp homage to monster movies than anything else. It's crap, but fun, and better than 2005's House Of Wax.
August 6, 2013
Messy, a bit crazy, but an overall interesting and fun film. Lots of quick little scenes with various monsters, and a climatic battle scene. The characters aren't so great, and the story is thin. The effects aren't exactly top notch either, but there are plenty of them. A nice little tribute to classic horror films, though it doesn't stand out much on it's own.
July 25, 2013
One of my favorite movies as a kid.
½ July 3, 2013
A very 80's style production, the actual story feels like an updated but lesser Vincent Price horror. This is slightly less creepy than it is gory.
June 26, 2013
Although this doesn't take itself too seriously, the effects are good and it's an interesting take on a done to death subject, this doesn't really allow itself to be more than a series of tied together shorts. Its premise is that a few friends are invited around a Waxwork Museum before it's open to the public but are the scenes a little more realistic than they should be? It's a shame it doesn't truly work as the overall idea is pretty good and there are a few nice gory scenes but they are few and far between.