Way Out West - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Way Out West Reviews

April 18, 2016
Vintage L&H, and that song.
½ February 26, 2015
Takes Stan and Ollie out to the Old West which is a sharply new turn from their usual city antics. Great story with Laurel and Hardy as fresh as they were in the early 1930s. I laugh at this movie and get hoarse!
½ January 6, 2015
One of the duo's best films; plenty of slapstick comedy, and the boys sing "Trail of the Lonesome Pine."
May 12, 2014
Simply put, one of the greatest comedies of all time by the greatest comedy duo of all time. Pure comedy genius.
May 8, 2014
The first Laurel and Hardy film I've seen. Absolutely hilarious! I'm trying to join the Sons of the Desert immediately!
½ April 9, 2014
Not only a comedy classic, but an extravaganza of special effects that hold up even today. Who else can put a mule on a balcony? Really, who? Made at Hal Roach studios.

btw - the song "Trail of the Lonesome Pine" was released in 1975 (after Stan & Oliver had passed away) and spent 10 weeks on the British charts, topping out at #2!
February 4, 2014
References Chaplin's The Gold Rush and It Happened One Night. Also contains a band of cowboys singing a song, which is musically quoted in Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?. Plenty of manic slapstick. How many obstacles will the boys encounter in delivering the deed to a gold mine to its proper owner, the young and innocent Mary Roberts? Can the extremely ticklish Stanley and put-upon Ollie see past the rotten scheme of the saloon owner and his chanteuse wife to steal the gold for themselves?
½ November 12, 2013
Utterly ridiculous in its antics but overall unbearably charming, this Laurel and Hardy picture garners a lot of laughs with its excessive slapstick and sight gags. Plus the music, singing , and dancing were top-notch!
½ May 3, 2013
April 8, 2013
Probably Laurel and Hardy's best film.
½ March 15, 2013
Brings back memories of when I was a kid and there was this pizza place that showed old black and white movies. I saw a lot of Laurel and Hardy.
½ February 3, 2013
Sits comfortably as one of Laurel and Hardy's best films, 'Way Out West' is a fun piece in which the boys go through all sorts of slapstick routines to become moral victors.

A few lovely song and dance numbers give this some extra dimension.
January 21, 2013
These guys helped to create the comedy genre!
December 16, 2012
I own the tape to this and it's in color, not complaining but maybe I'm bragging just a little bit. Awesome.
½ November 26, 2012
Some great music and a few good laughs make this one of the best Laurel and Hardy shorts.
August 19, 2012
a lot of good laughs to be had here. A very short movie.
March 2, 2012
one of the funnier-ie better longs from the duo!
December 26, 2011
Tell me about my dear, dear Daddy! Is it true that he's dead?
We hope so, they buried him.
½ December 14, 2011
I hadn't seen any Laurel and Hardy since I was a kid and I was curious. The appearance of the duo (after some stage-setting Western scenes) was at first gently amusing, as I recalled their stock-in-trade characters. But then their ridiculous interdependence and the chaos that they can so easily create did become funny (culminating with Ollie's head in a pail on the floor). Yes, there are also some weird song and dance interludes. As you might suspect, plot is secondary here.