The Way Things Go - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Way Things Go Reviews

February 12, 2013
Another living example as to why Rube Goldberg inventions are some of the world's most fascinating contraptions
September 7, 2010
Despite some obvious time lapse edits, this is a fascinating and fun long-take look at a few silly experiments that rely on timing, speed, pressure, weight, and reaction to create an indelible chain of jaw-dropping events without music or dialogue. With its brief runtime, simple premise, and fringe appeal, it's guaranteed that someone you know hasn't seen it, making primed to please any audience.
July 15, 2010
An Interesting movie created by 2 men in the style of a classic Rube Goldberg machine. This 30 movie consists of about 4 continuous shots of mechanical phenomenon that looks like fantastic project created by some very smart college kids with too much time on their hands.
½ March 20, 2010
this rube goldberg madness is heavy on chemistry and pyro. the grainy bubble/fizz close-ups were nice.
½ January 29, 2010
wish this had been fleshed out with interviews and background on the construction. but the thing itself, lasting 30 minutes, is so damn amazing that maybe any additional content would have only diminished its impact.

if you have kids, show them this.
½ September 15, 2009
Makes my head explode.
½ August 15, 2009
Brilliance in a box, acted upon by flammable liquids, tires and wheels that can climb ladders, great deals of suds, and the power of science.
½ August 13, 2009
A video of a gigantic Rube Goldberg machine made by a couple of Swiss artists. The 30 minute film shows the single chain reaction out of this insane contraption made of household objects like dry ice, fireworks, trash bags, and tires. I would have been more interested in a feature length documentary on this and then show the reaction, but I guess it ruins the nonsensical-ness of it all. Really awesome.
lesleyanorton
July 27, 2009
Ooooo. Ahhhh. Wowww. Hurrah to the two amazing eggheads who built this, and boo to the Honda ripoff.
½ July 24, 2009
That was really creative.
Two guys builds contraptions from ordinary household things
Then trough gravity, fire, water friction and chemical-effects they set the contraptions off. Causing fun chain reactions.
½ June 30, 2009
This may be the most "minimal" film ever made. There are no characters, no plot, no music and no crazy camera tricks (unless you count moving very slowly to the right for 30 minutes the most radical, off-the-wall thing ever). In essence, this is one big Rube Goldberg machine that, when set in motion, encompasses hundreds of feet of everyday objects (bottles, ladders, tires, the occasional smoldering chemical reaction, explosions, etc.) moving in one chain reaction after another. That's it. No one learns a lesson, nobody fall in love, the butler didn't do it and no wishes come true (save for the audience's as certain actions, like liquid reactions, are faded in and out of so we are not treated to agonizingly long shots of "something" happening for however long it takes them to happen). So what's the point? To make everyone who took a Physics class feel that much dumber? Maybe, but I think it was just a couple of guys who wanted to see if something like this could be done... you know, once they had a ridiculous amount of free time. It can, no doubt, but 30 minutes is a long time and no one should be surprised to find their mind wandering as the fizzle of an ending gets closer. There's definitely nothing else like it (except for the hundreds of similar YouTube videos).
½ August 24, 2008
It's a machine/experiment, a 30-minute long chain reaction of forces and chemical reactions. Very interesting to watch. For a small number of reasons, I could see an argument for God welling up behind this... but I'm sure there were other historiographical implications.
½ June 13, 2008
This was amazing. Who knew watching kinetics and fire and chemicals react for a half hour could be SO entertaining!!
½ May 15, 2008
Addictive. You can just zone out and watch this domino effect structure and not know where the last half hour went. It says history repeats itself, yet the outcomes aren't always the same. Sometimes life moves slowly, sometimes quickly...
March 6, 2008
If you like Rube Goldberg machines, you'll love this!
February 10, 2008
Far more mesmorizing and entertaining than it should be. I'm hooked.
January 29, 2008
The only way to zone out for 30 minutes. A perpetual motion structure that just goes and goes... I think I learned more about physics by watching this than I did in high school.
½ January 11, 2008
quite addictive, you just cant stop watching the chain reaction happen. it's a bit dissapointing that it's not done in a one take, but still really amazing stuff.
October 25, 2007
fischli & weiss rule.
September 15, 2007
wicked awesome chain reaction sequence