Ways To Live Forever - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ways To Live Forever Reviews

½ March 16, 2015
A forthright and surprisingly buoyant drama about facing death before you have really lived.
December 28, 2014
I think is a good movie because most people go through this and don't usually know if there going to liv or not. And I think it helps people under stand that not every body will be sick with cancer but you should still care
May 19, 2014
The soul never dies--The beauty of childhood & innocence... Ways to Live Forever = Way Above Expectations!!
½ April 6, 2014
"Our dead are never dead to us until we have forgotten them."
The one and only answer to ease our trouble souls.
½ January 24, 2014
We just want to live our life the best that we can, and hope that people remember us after we're gone
January 3, 2014
This is the only film I've seen that has the ability to make me cry
½ July 26, 2013
"Ways To Live Forever" constantly walks the line between whimsical, light-hearted hipster philosophies and dark, deep moral conflictions to such a degree that it sometimes feels like it wants to be too much and try out more stylistical directions that its shoulder can ultimately carrie. Nevertheless, it still manages to pull heartstrings with its relatable characters issues and stunning performances by Ben Chaplin, Ella Purnell and Robbie Kay. At times, the movie does feel a little too self-indulgent and creative in the way it builds itself up as a cheerful and fairly superficial surface-scratcher in the 1st and 2nd act, before delving into a more serious and philosophical territory. In other words, it feels all over the place, but despite that, the 3rd act hits you so hard in the gut with sentimental power that saves the movie from what could've become a mess, but instead turned out to be a delightful, frequently touching and positive film about what we can be and accomplish when we realize how precious life truly is.
½ July 23, 2013
I heard it was a tear-jerker... I ALLLLLMOST cried.
July 20, 2013
very nice and well done and directed film with a difficult topic.
good development
must see
½ July 15, 2013
I believe Ways to Live Forever is based off a children's book. It follows two boys, Sam and Felix, as they go through their daily lives with childhood Leukemia.

I was able to watch an advance screening of the movie a few months back and I was definitely hesitant at first. I personally am involved in several cancer related organizations and being surrounded by so many people affected by this disease, I wasn't really up to see another tearjerker. But to my surprise, the movie was more uplifting than it was sad, but of course we can't stray away from there being some emotional scenes with a topic such as cancer. It definitely surpassed my expectations considering the film was more lighthearted that anticipated.

I think what I like most about this movie which differentiates itself from most cancer related movies, is that is focuses more on living life to the fullest rather than dying. I appreciate the realism the movie portrays. Overall the movie was a pleasant take on such a tough subject. The acting was good, the storyline was great and I thought the soundtrack was a great fit for the movie.
½ July 15, 2013
When I was first offered to watch a pre-screening of this movie, I must admit I was a little hesitant to view it. Normally I stray away from any movies that have to do with cancer. However, I thankfully did decide to watch the film and I am SO glad I did. Ways to Live Forever went way above and beyond my expectations. Though this movie centers around two boys on their journey of fighting leukemia, the tone is not one of somberness but of joy. Yes, sad scenes and deep questions of life and death occur throughout the film, but after walking away from the movie, I felt, well, joyful. There is an uplifting spirit from this movie that is completely beyond my explanation; the director did a phenomenal job at engaging the audience and pulling them into these boys' lives. Some of the best child acting I've ever seen. Cinematography was beautiful. I would recommend this film to both teens and adults. If you don't have a desire in seeing it, still see it. I promise you will not be disappointed.
½ July 15, 2013
I was invited to an advanced screening of this film and let me just say that it was a very well written and directed film. Going into the theater I was expecting a depressing movie but I was surprised to find that it carried an uplifting tone throughout the course of this young man's journey. The acting was pretty good, especially from the young kids (Robbie Kay, Alex Etel). The cinematography was done well and the music and sound design complimented the film pretty well. The subject matter of cancer might question some people but the film has a powerful message that many people should enjoy.
½ May 4, 2013
Haven't cried this much watching a movie since Titanic....
March 28, 2013
I am continuously surprised by how well some child/teen dramas are made. This film addresses the extremely difficult topic of children with incurable, terminal diseases. It asks many of the big questions about life and death and reasons through them in a simplistic, childlike sort of way that is thoroughly logical from the perspective of a 12 year old.

Alex Etel is a very capable child actor. I remember him from The Water Horse and he put on a wonderful performance in this film as well.

The soundtrack fits the film like a glove. The cinematography is simple for the most part but it hits highs in a few very important places.

The script combined with excellent performances from the cast really pull this film together. I think that it is very difficult to write a film where there has to be a ballance between life, death, hope, despair, thoughtfulness, and discovery.

SUMMARY: This was a simply made film but everything about it is very solid. It was very thought-provoking for me. This isn't a huge blockbuster but for a cheeply made drama it is very good.

NOTE: Shoutout to Natalia Tena (Tonks from Harry Potter)
½ February 20, 2013
Not just a bucket list movie, a kids eye view of death and life.
½ April 22, 2011
Too much melodramatic, but not the worse that i have seen.
November 2, 2010
Muy dura, pero recomendable. Llevaros paƱuelos...