We Are Marshall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Are Marshall Reviews

July 9, 2016
Based on the emotional true events of Marshall University recovering after a tragic plane crash that took the lives of many players and staff, "We Are Marshall" powers through the tears thanks to a gleaming performance by Matthew McConaughey. However, it falls victim to the typical sports movie clichés which unfortunately distracts the audience from what it was intended to do: memorialize the 37 players who died in 1970.
June 28, 2016
Typical sports movie that does not do much to stand out. McConaughey and Mackie are both pretty good, but the emotional impact of the film is not where it could've been.
June 20, 2016
Predictable, sure, but that doesn't stop 'We Are Marshall' from being an emotional and ultimately uplifting movie that pays homage to those who were lost in the Plane crash and those who strived to revive the Marshall University Football program.
½ May 26, 2016
Buena pelicula si te gusta el futbol americano, en mi opinion le falto fuerza a la historia y a las escenas de juego, creo que pudieron haber retratado de una mejor manera esta gran historia, aun asi tiene escenas muy conmovedoras y en general es una buena pelicula que se disfruta!
½ May 17, 2016
This was a pretty good movie.
April 30, 2016
why it just disappears assholes
April 10, 2016
We Are Marshall tries to hard and fails on pretty much every scale, Matthew is a great actor though.
February 6, 2016
What's wrong with a feel good movie?
January 28, 2016
You could have just counted them out, a bunch of nobodies with only a legacy, goal, and memory to carry them forward. Reviving tragedy , reviving a team from the ashes a new age of football continued.
½ January 16, 2016
An inspiration for sure as this movie, being the sports fan I am, made me pretty emotional after it was over.
Based on the true story of the 1970 plane crash that killed nearly all the Marshall varsity team, coaches, boosters and others, I thought the film did a good job of establishing the weight of the tragedy early, and how the odds were stacked against the program. McConaughey was awesome as the coach hired to rebuild a program with only 3 remaining players.

He brought tremendous joy and life to the role, which in turn made you want him to succeed.
The relationships feel authentic, and the football scenes are realistic.
Anthony mackie was awesome as the senior captain of the football team.

This inspirational film while good, probably could of been better. The movie did somewhat coast without other details given about the deceased and others.

That being said the movies goal was focusing on the actual rebuild and I thought it did a fine job doing just that with an electric performance from the lead.

Something was off a little that I couldn't put my finger on.
That being said a damn good inspiration of a movie.
November 7, 2015
yet another sports movie strikes out for me. it is a very good story unfortunately the movie still follows every cliche in the book that every sports movie before it followed as well
September 19, 2015
Loved it. We need more true stories like this today. Too much violence, gore, sex and hatred in todays movies.
September 13, 2015
Flashes but mostly disappoints as it takes the easy way out.
September 7, 2015
I think I liked it more because it was true than due to the acting.
September 1, 2015
Don't listen to the Critics Consensus. It's supposed to be a feel-good movie at the end, and it delivers.
July 15, 2015
Feel good film out of a terrible tragedy. It's a little paint-by-numbers but it's not a bad movie.
½ April 15, 2015
As I flip through channels I inevitably come across the last hour of this movie. The scene at the cemetery is as good as it gets for an inspiriational scene. Those reviewers who blow this movie off do not get it. This is a great story about the resiliency of the human spirit. I
March 18, 2015
I only want to see it if it shows the plane crash..
½ February 23, 2015
Its incredibly sentimental and plays on big emotions. But somehow it just doesnt work when you are forced to feel something every 5 minutes.. A mediocre Sports drama with some decent cinematography