We Are Twisted F***ing Sister! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Are Twisted F***ing Sister! Reviews

November 26, 2018
Despite its length, the film focuses only on the first decade of TS, aka up until they finally managed to sign a record deal, yet, although it would have been interesting to watch a retelling of their following success, break-up, reunions and return to must-see live band status, it does a good job at shining a light on their early struggles, through talking heads and clips. Still, the storytelling feels a bit distanced and formal, without extra insight on e.g. the personalities or songwriting.
½ July 10, 2016
It was okay. I'm not going to go out of my way to watch it again if I see it on TV or something.
July 1, 2016
I grew and played music in the same circuit but much later because I'm younger. I wasn't a huge fan but the documentary is amazing and tells an amazing,inspiring story. Believe in who you are, don't compromise and never give up. A must watch for every musician.
June 22, 2016
This is an absolute must see for any true Twisted Sister fan.
May 30, 2016
So you give your documentary a "Shocking" (To middle school boys) title and that warrants positive reviews. No, it warrants a little curiosity, which is unfortunately, why I gave this heaping pile a chance. I guess they do get a couple of points for creating irony/metaphor , in that this documentary is about a band who struggled for a long, long time and in the end "Meh..." it's just Twisted Sister, and to most people who have any knowledge of music and if you measured Twisted Sister against ANY OTHER BAND well there isn't much to Twisted Sister, they plugged away, persevered and so does a band get points for not giving up??? So ironically you have a band that has lasted a long time but are still just Twisted Sister and at the end of this overly long documentary you like many people through the years will be disappointed

Spoiler Alert...or more like False Advertising Warning...If you're expecting a "Twisted", debaucherous, sex,. drugs and rock and roll romp...You will be sorely disappointed...Turns out key members of the band never drank or did drugs...Wah, Wah...Ah...and the kicker - I think you will find if you last through the seemingly endless minutia of this documentary that in the end the songs the band is best known for are not only not played in the documentary - they aren't even discussed??? Like one of those situations where maybe someone else owns their few good songs and they couldn't even put those in the documentary??? We're Not Gonna Take It? Well, Twisted Sister IS gonna take a lot of peoples precious time and waste it with this road to nowhere doc...
May 25, 2016
its like watching a lesser version of Behind the Music, only this time you dont want to buy any cds afterwards- you just wonder why anyone likes this music or why Dee really cant sing. very confused.
May 19, 2016
This documentary is fairly well done, leaving enough space for each of the band members to tell their side of the story. This is a little dull at times but the energy of the band, the musical flashbacks and the unique looks of these lads will definitely keep you entertained. Some of the members seems to be more serious than others looking back on their past adventures and the phenomenal journey they all have accomplished since their beginnings. A must see.
May 18, 2016
Even from another musical culture entirely, and never having been a fan of heavy metal, (except for the theatrical elements) this is one of the most entertaining docs I have seen this decade.

Take one part standard bittersweet recollections of youth, add one part record industry mayhem, one part suburban populist youth revolt, a splash of Gump-esque WTF, one-in-a-million "I can't believe this even happened" events, and you have one of the most thoroughly fun band tributes ever filmed, with some really interesting people and places in play.

Disturbing: The racial undertones of their "disco sucks" campaign.
In the field: Their assault on Manhattan, considered a bastion of musical unavailability and snobbery.
Inexplicable: The doc ends rather abruptly, without talking about, or showing their heyday, or even so much as playing their most well known song, "We're not gonna take it"

All in all, a great way to blow 2 hours, and 16 minutes, while getting a glimpse of a strange and exotic subculture that will never happen again.
May 5, 2016
A film about the perils of the fame
May 5, 2016
I've been a longtime fan if Twisted Sister so expected to like the documentary, but I didn't expect it to be so well done. I think the average music or at least rock music fan will enjoy it regardless of how they feel about TS. It has tons of clips, is funny, and tells an interesting story. I learned a few things a swell, such as the founder Jay Jay French and lead singer Dee Snider didn't drink. Also, Snider met his wife when he joined the band in the mid-seventies, married her in 1981 and they've been together ever since. Definitely worth a watch in my opinion.
½ April 29, 2016
As long as you understand this only covers up to when they got signed you'll be fine. It's focused on their early bar band days and showing you how hard it was for them to get a deal. Interesting but a tad too long. They were a lot better back then than I realized. Entertaining stuff
February 21, 2016
Unfortunately this informative, enjoyable and insightful sociological portrait of non-conformists bonding in a renegade rock band will be gone from theaters after a brief run, but do see this surprisingly emotional rock documentary. It is fast paced for a film of 134 minutes and Dee Snider and Jay Jay French are great story tellers describing the band birth in NYC through its very turbulent times as the most compelling, unsigned band in America. Since both Dee and Jay Jay are non drinkers and don't use drugs, their collective memories drive a fascinating study of a band that blazed its trail with a helpful jump start from David Bowie, Lou Reed and the NY Dolls. The roller coaster ride of hard work building a dedicated following is thoroughly examined. Dee Snider truly had a P. T. Barnum-like ability to continually evolve and market himself and his band mates. It is no accident that the band became a huge concert draw and sold millions of records because these guys worked their asses off to make it happen. If you want to truly understand the hard work and grind of being a working rock and roll band, this film is wonderful in its exposition of fame, the highs and the lows. This is a must see for anyone who has subscribed to Rolling Stone, Billboard or Melody Maker.