We Are What We Are - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Are What We Are Reviews

½ July 25, 2016
I expected a bit more of a twist when searching for the "why" part of the story. The end is the grandest surprise, and the acting is superb.
July 3, 2016
A slow burning movie about out dated traditions, family and religious values, and assuming roles we don't want but take anyway because it's expected of us. Well directed and acted but gets a little tedious in the 2nd act but all in all I'd say check this out. if you are in to more art house horror you will probably enjoy it
½ June 15, 2016
great acting and movie.......completely ruined by the last 2 minutes!!! really stupid ending.
½ June 10, 2016
Slow burning to the point of boredom. The second half picks it up but by then it's too late.
½ June 8, 2016
Definitely not your run of the mill film and I wasn't expecting that ending. Overall well done.
May 23, 2016
This remake of the Mexican original of the same name, features a much tighter narrative with more focus on the horror elements, but it's still missing enough substance to make it memorable and they could have fleshed the concept out far better. For some reason, both versions of this story fail to convey how the cannibalism diet works, where they seem to only be able to eat a person every couple of days, but what are they eating in the meantime? It's an extremely annoying detail both films don't seem to want to address. This story differs slightly and flips the roles around from the original with the mother dying instead of the father, and it is the two daughters who have to take over the family instead of sons, and also adds a subplot involving a doctor whose daughter was a victim of the family to great effect with the casting of, Michael Parks in the role. This film is a lot less of a social commentary than the original, and more of a straight-up, family-centered horror film, which I definitely appreciated, but its impact is more felt in the final act. The ending deviates wildly from the original in that the father can't cope with caring for his family alone and decides to poison everyone; but his daughters see through his plan and exact some wickedly disgusting revenge that I really couldn't believe was happening; it is a cannibalism story after all. If you're going to watch one version of this story, my vote goes to the Hollywood version which nails the tone better and has much more impressive acting, but they are both missed opportunities in my mind and could've done so much more with their gruesome premises.
May 9, 2016
After i figured out what was going on with the The Parkers i enjoyed the movie more...strange , bit boring sisters !
April 25, 2016
This was a trippy film. It's a slow burn, but the payoff is worth it.
April 20, 2016
Strange from start to finish. Not much of a plot. waste of time.
March 30, 2016
Beautiful and intriguing, this movie kept giving me what I wanted over and over. And then it kept giving and I got this crazy weird ending. Still five starring it though. I absolutely loved the ride.
March 27, 2016
Just a very disturbing movie. Very slow paced with not much going on but that adds to the scariness of the story. Might interest horror fanatics but it wasn't for me
½ March 13, 2016
Nothing like the original one and this one is crap!
½ March 5, 2016
a film for horror buffs obviously made and competently made by a horror buff, We Are What We Are subverts genre cliches and brings an intelligent, well crafted and well acted horror film that has enough gore and thrills to satisfy gore hounds and horror buffs and a compelling and rich story to keep others intrigued.
February 6, 2016
A brutal, beautifully filmed horror film that is more compelling than the original.
½ January 28, 2016
Clever plot and a nice mix of gnawing gore and story building that allow you to appreciate the story development and the stellar performances by Sage, Childers and Garner. Directing, cinematography, casting, sound and screenplay were all top shelf.
January 1, 2016
Slow burn to excellent horror. No jump scares ???
December 28, 2015
The movie is eerie enough and the grotesque-ness of it all isn't as discreet as I expected. Overall, I found the timing a bit off and the concept was even ruined by the dragging out of 80% of the movie only watch it implode in the last 20 minutes. Also, dad..wtf.
½ December 2, 2015
It's a tough one to swallow. One of the darkest films I've seen in a few years, it's gut-wretchingly sad in it's slow, suspenseful buildup but it's the girls' performances and the families' history that kept me intrigued through to the end.
November 22, 2015
Good movie! Was a bit slow at start but all the pieces came together at some point which kept me really interested in the end. Well played!

3 Stars!
November 1, 2015
By far the most disturbing, gross, scary horror movie I have ever seen !