We Are What We Are - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Are What We Are Reviews

½ November 26, 2017
A family suffering from a devastating loss finds it must take on the responsibilities of the lost member to maintain a subversive family need. Their basic living, despairing poverty, and aching lack of education were well represented in the film. Despite the physical dependency, patriarchal threats, and depraved environment, their plight is a psychological battle. The whole premise is about a big family secret, and as a viewer I get to see, from a personal claustrophobic viewpoint, how the family handles the secret. It is an interesting film, though I felt myself more concerned with the supporting characters, as outsiders, rather than the main characters who are the family.
½ October 27, 2017
"a dreamy commentary on the ravages of extreme religious observance."
½ October 26, 2017
Admittedly, really slow, but the pay-off is worth it for me. Not a typical horror film, art-horror is probably more apt, but still fun enough.
September 17, 2017
What a good film. The sense of foreboding builds and builds as you go through, reaching excruciating levels in the last act. The ending was delightful! Wooden acting from the young boy aside (showing not all child actors will go on to become superstars), a very well made and acted film.
½ September 1, 2017
Not particularly scary, but still an atmospheric, interesting horror flick.
½ May 11, 2017
Shocking and very hard to watch...
April 29, 2017
Slow and doesn't always have great payoff, however I found this to be well acted, very well shot, and to be satisfyingly creepy in several scenes. Bill Sage was great as the father, and everyone else carried their weight. The film is susceptible to being taken as boring, and for me it was very close to being that, but there was always just enough to keep me interested and invested in the plot, and I enjoyed this film just enough in the end.
February 25, 2017
Pretty good and the ending is well worth the wait.
½ December 26, 2016
An effective psychological horror film that works precisely because it avoids cheap scares, adopting an oppressive cinematography to create a slow-burning and disturbing experience centered on religion, tradition and patriarchy, despite being a bit predictable sometimes.
½ December 1, 2016
Jim Mickle's We Are What We Are is a really great horror movie that is a little better than Stake Land. The acting is pretty good, and even with a subdued performance by Michael Parks, even he was pretty good and kept the film interesting. The plot is a bit more original than Stake Land and is also just as creepy. The beginning is a bit too slow, but when the film keeps going, it gets more investing. The writing is still great, and the scares are more effective. The characters are very developed, and the twist is pretty surprising. It shows some bad side effects of it which I've never seen that before in that type of film. The soundtrack is catchy, and the direction is very well done. We Are What We Are is a very disturbing remake that does well by a talented cast and talented filmmakers.
½ October 24, 2016
A lovely, tragic tale of upstate NY cannibalism. It's a real howler of a plot, played so straight and with such gravity that I felt kind of guilty enjoying the gross-out genre moments.
September 22, 2016
Atmospheric and surprisingly subtle (til the last half hour) horror movie. A much better movie than it gets credit for.
½ September 19, 2016
Bizarre, unnerving, and beautiful. I loved this film so very much. The pace, the photography, the strangeness of the story, everything - executed so well
August 31, 2016
A very artistic film that relies surprisingly little on gore to tell an incredibly chilling (read: kinda nasty) story. There is a disgust and a reverence in the characters themselves that makes them compelling, leading up to one of the most shocking conclusions I have ever seen in a movie. Not for those with a delicate stomach or delicate sensibilities.
August 18, 2016
Great movie...terrible ending that didn`t follow the movie`s continuity.
August 10, 2016
Solid performances from the good-looking young actresses, but the slow, pretentious style and unnecessarily indirect narrative make We Are What We Are a bore.
½ July 25, 2016
I expected a bit more of a twist when searching for the "why" part of the story. The end is the grandest surprise, and the acting is superb.
July 3, 2016
A slow burning movie about out dated traditions, family and religious values, and assuming roles we don't want but take anyway because it's expected of us. Well directed and acted but gets a little tedious in the 2nd act but all in all I'd say check this out. if you are in to more art house horror you will probably enjoy it
½ June 15, 2016
great acting and movie.......completely ruined by the last 2 minutes!!! really stupid ending.
½ June 10, 2016
Slow burning to the point of boredom. The second half picks it up but by then it's too late.