We Are What We Are - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Are What We Are Reviews

½ December 26, 2016
An effective psychological horror film that works precisely because it avoids cheap scares, adopting an oppressive cinematography to create a slow-burning and disturbing experience centered on religion, tradition and patriarchy, despite being a bit predictable sometimes.
½ December 1, 2016
Jim Mickle's We Are What We Are is a really great horror movie that is a little better than Stake Land. The acting is pretty good, and even with a subdued performance by Michael Parks, even he was pretty good and kept the film interesting. The plot is a bit more original than Stake Land and is also just as creepy. The beginning is a bit too slow, but when the film keeps going, it gets more investing. The writing is still great, and the scares are more effective. The characters are very developed, and the twist is pretty surprising. It shows some bad side effects of it which I've never seen that before in that type of film. The soundtrack is catchy, and the direction is very well done. We Are What We Are is a very disturbing remake that does well by a talented cast and talented filmmakers.
½ October 24, 2016
A lovely, tragic tale of upstate NY cannibalism. It's a real howler of a plot, played so straight and with such gravity that I felt kind of guilty enjoying the gross-out genre moments.
September 22, 2016
Atmospheric and surprisingly subtle (til the last half hour) horror movie. A much better movie than it gets credit for.
½ September 19, 2016
Bizarre, unnerving, and beautiful. I loved this film so very much. The pace, the photography, the strangeness of the story, everything - executed so well
August 31, 2016
A very artistic film that relies surprisingly little on gore to tell an incredibly chilling (read: kinda nasty) story. There is a disgust and a reverence in the characters themselves that makes them compelling, leading up to one of the most shocking conclusions I have ever seen in a movie. Not for those with a delicate stomach or delicate sensibilities.
August 18, 2016
Great movie...terrible ending that didn`t follow the movie`s continuity.
August 10, 2016
Solid performances from the good-looking young actresses, but the slow, pretentious style and unnecessarily indirect narrative make We Are What We Are a bore.
½ July 25, 2016
I expected a bit more of a twist when searching for the "why" part of the story. The end is the grandest surprise, and the acting is superb.
July 3, 2016
A slow burning movie about out dated traditions, family and religious values, and assuming roles we don't want but take anyway because it's expected of us. Well directed and acted but gets a little tedious in the 2nd act but all in all I'd say check this out. if you are in to more art house horror you will probably enjoy it
½ June 15, 2016
great acting and movie.......completely ruined by the last 2 minutes!!! really stupid ending.
½ June 10, 2016
Slow burning to the point of boredom. The second half picks it up but by then it's too late.
½ June 8, 2016
Definitely not your run of the mill film and I wasn't expecting that ending. Overall well done.
May 23, 2016
This remake of the Mexican original of the same name, features a much tighter narrative with more focus on the horror elements, but it's still missing enough substance to make it memorable and they could have fleshed the concept out far better. For some reason, both versions of this story fail to convey how the cannibalism diet works, where they seem to only be able to eat a person every couple of days, but what are they eating in the meantime? It's an extremely annoying detail both films don't seem to want to address. This story differs slightly and flips the roles around from the original with the mother dying instead of the father, and it is the two daughters who have to take over the family instead of sons, and also adds a subplot involving a doctor whose daughter was a victim of the family to great effect with the casting of, Michael Parks in the role. This film is a lot less of a social commentary than the original, and more of a straight-up, family-centered horror film, which I definitely appreciated, but its impact is more felt in the final act. The ending deviates wildly from the original in that the father can't cope with caring for his family alone and decides to poison everyone; but his daughters see through his plan and exact some wickedly disgusting revenge that I really couldn't believe was happening; it is a cannibalism story after all. If you're going to watch one version of this story, my vote goes to the Hollywood version which nails the tone better and has much more impressive acting, but they are both missed opportunities in my mind and could've done so much more with their gruesome premises.
May 9, 2016
After i figured out what was going on with the The Parkers i enjoyed the movie more...strange , bit boring sisters !
April 25, 2016
This was a trippy film. It's a slow burn, but the payoff is worth it.
April 20, 2016
Strange from start to finish. Not much of a plot. waste of time.
March 30, 2016
Beautiful and intriguing, this movie kept giving me what I wanted over and over. And then it kept giving and I got this crazy weird ending. Still five starring it though. I absolutely loved the ride.
March 27, 2016
Just a very disturbing movie. Very slow paced with not much going on but that adds to the scariness of the story. Might interest horror fanatics but it wasn't for me
½ March 13, 2016
Nothing like the original one and this one is crap!