We are Wizards - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We are Wizards Reviews

½ February 15, 2012
I hate you all, now.
½ June 22, 2011
I can't support or condone Harry Potter rock bands. It's just dumb.
September 5, 2010
For fans of J K Rowling's Harry Potter Series - an inside look at the phenomenon of "Wizard Rock" - bands like Harry and The Potters and Draco and the Malfoys tear up the stage across the country as The Potter-craze hits a fever-pitch. The best documentary on the Wizarding World that you've never seen.

"We've got to save Ginny Weasley from the Basilisk..."
June 23, 2010
When people ask about why I have such a strong love for the Harry Potter community, I direct them to this documentary. It very accurately depicts why this community is important, how it supports itself, what is important to us. It didn't feel like a professional documentary in many instances, but to be honest I think that's because it was without a lot of the pretentious air that tends to get stuffed into these sorts of films. Much like the community and the people it followed, We Are Wizards is humble and warm, honest and genuine.
April 11, 2010
The parts with Brad Neely were fucking rad. That screaming kid band made me want to punch someone though. Man were those kids obnoxious. Kind of lame for a documentary though since it seemed like the director couldn't decide what they were saying and the random stock film and music sucked.
½ April 9, 2010
A pretty enjoyable documentary depicting the varying levels of fandom that exists among the fervent loyalists of the "Harry Potter" franchise. The film primarily focuses on the musical phenomenon dubbed "Wizard Rock", a musical sub-genre composed of bands who build an entire act around a Harry Potter angle (among the band names are Harry and the Potters, and Draco and the Malfoys, which is essentially the same conceit as the first band, but with songs all written from a central antagonists' perspective). But the film also touches on the fansites and their battle with Warner Brothers to have the right to discuss the source of their mania, and the absurd, hilarious commentary track Brad Neely recorded for the first Potter film, dubbed "Wizard People". Overall it is a competent and amusing exploration of a fascinating nerd sub-culture (and I don't say that as an insult, as I am a nerd myself, but more as an observation).
½ February 14, 2010
A sometimes interesting but very, very aimless documentary on Harry Potter fandom.
½ January 4, 2010
It shows me a world I didn't know existed - a whole music scene dedicated to Harry Potter emo rock - but doesn't compare with any prior documentaries on fandoms, and is actually quite boring. I really haven't more to say than that; this isn't Trekkies and don't expect to learn much for those sociology/communications/media students out there who need to do a fandom paper and want some references.
January 4, 2010
At times meandering and self serving, still a rather striking exploration of fan culture, their rights, and their place in our world. Told through the perspective of Harry Potter "Rock Wizards" and their families, this movie could be about any fan base for any story...because there's a fan in all of us. Brad Neely provides a large part of its charm with his askew sense of humor. An overly conservative woman who believes Harry Potter is a gateway to real witchcraft provides a temporary, but useful villain for the story as well.

Required viewing for anyone who calls himself (or herself) a geek.
December 26, 2009
This should have focused on the grassroots movement of Wizard Rock, but it sprawls a bit too thin - and annoyingly when it comes to animator Brad Neely, who comes off as ... how shall I put this ... on something. Anyhow, his narrative voiceover project is really unfunny and annoying. Other parts - especially the opportunist Leaky Cauldron lady - seem self-important and out of place. The Wizard Rock stuff, however, is engaging and there's a lot more that could have been told about them.
November 16, 2009
A little documentary about Harry Potter fandom. Nothing great or memorable here, but it's nice and well-meaning. Short enough to merit a glance, as it's pleasant and won't take up too much of your time.
½ November 1, 2009
The people in this movie are just as bad as some religious fanatics. I suspect this is true of any fandom...
½ October 27, 2009
Never quite clicks and struggles to find a coherent throughline. The problem with such documentaries is that it makes fans out to be kooky losers, albeit affectionately. It's tough to avoid that because, inevitably, the people interesting enough to showcase are the ones you don't want to see front and center of fandom representing the group as a whole. In this case with the possible exception of the PotterWars girl who is actually pretty cool.
October 17, 2009
I got bored and tuned out more than once while watching this flick. There were a few really good parts that dealt with issues fans had with Warner Bros over fan sites but then rest of the movie dragged on and really didn't have a direction.
The music the bands played was not really all that good and only would appeal to those fans who have let the world of Harry Potter over shadow the real world they live in. Not something to be proud of.
Slow documentary that I can recommend to anyone to watch.
½ September 27, 2009
I find the fact that people are coming to recognize their gifts, even if they do not understand the use is wonderful. Copycatting is a sad situation though.
½ August 29, 2009
An awesome documentary on the Harry Potter Fandom. It will make you wish you could read.
August 29, 2009
I am missing out on this entire wizard rock movement although I do kinda dig Harry and The Potters!
½ August 27, 2009
loved the dude who did the weird voices.
the female fans were nerdaliciously hot
the documentary was aight...it seemed like a mishmash.
August 25, 2009
Nicely done and edited. It appears that this came out before the big court battle over the Harry Potter Lexicon and J.K. Rowling, which I was looking forward to seeing addressed. I would have also liked to see more for the fans' opposition like the psycho anti-Potter christian groups. Some interview or correspondence with J.K.R. or WB would have been nice too. I don't like it when a documentary stays on one side of the fence.
August 17, 2009
Interesting enough just for the large amounts of Brad Neely.